QC Scientist thinking about PA School.

I'm a 28 year old woman who graduated with a B.S degree in biochemistry back in 2011. Currently I work full time as a QC Scientist II at a biotech company and I also work part time at another job, but looking to make a career change into patient care as a PA. Originally, I wanted to get my PhD and do the research route, but later discovered that becoming a research scientist wasn't for me. I graduated college with a 3.46 but my grades in higher level chemistry and math courses were C's. I attempted PhD school in 2012, but left the program due to poor academic performance during my first year (I left PhD school with a 2.2 GPA...yikes). 

My plan to do this  (switch would be to get certified as an EMT through a 16 week program at a nearby university OR take a few months of evening school to become a certified medical assistant. I plan to keep my full time job and do part time work doing either in order to gain HCE. I also plan to retake the GRE since my previous scores were from 5 years ago. My plan would be to apply to PA school within 3 years or sooner if I can. 

Questions:

1. Should I consider retaking some undergraduate courses to bring up my college GPA? Or could I slide by with good HCE, letters of recommendations, etc?

2. Do I absolutely HAVE to include my transcript from PhD school? It's embarrassing and I'd rather not. But if I must, I will. 

3. I am single (not married and no kids) that needs to work in order to pay bills. For those who were in my shoes, what is the best way to get through school full time while paying for your education AND your bills? Because to my knowledge, I can't go to PA school part time.

Thanks for reading my post :-)

I'm a 28 year old woman who graduated with a B.S degree in biochemistry back in 2011. Currently I work full time as a QC Scientist II at a biotech company and I also work part time at another job, but looking to make a career change into patient care as a PA. Originally, I wanted to get my PhD and do the research route, but later discovered that becoming a research scientist wasn't for me. I graduated college with a 3.46 but my grades in higher level chemistry and math courses were C's. I attempted PhD school in 2012, but left the program due to poor academic performance during my first year (I left PhD school with a 2.2 GPA...yikes). 

My plan to do this  (switch would be to get certified as an EMT through a 16 week program at a nearby university OR take a few months of evening school to become a certified medical assistant. I plan to keep my full time job and do part time work doing either in order to gain HCE. I also plan to retake the GRE since my previous scores were from 5 years ago. My plan would be to apply to PA school within 3 years or sooner if I can. 

Questions:

1. Should I consider retaking some undergraduate courses to bring up my college GPA? Or could I slide by with good HCE, letters of recommendations, etc?

2. Do I absolutely HAVE to include my transcript from PhD school? It's embarrassing and I'd rather not. But if I must, I will. 

3. I am single (not married and no kids) that needs to work in order to pay bills. For those who were in my shoes, what is the best way to get through school full time while paying for your education AND your bills? Because to my knowledge, I can't go to PA school part time.

Thanks for reading my post :-)

Rutgers offers a part-time PA program. Just a thought.

Get a cert so you can rack up pce hours right away. Emt or ma will work. Start volunteering where you can. Yes you have to post your PhD grades but lucky for you most schools look at only undergraduate grades.

PA school is a full time experience and schools know that. Your student aid will include living expenses. Any school will publish how much.

RE: school full time + paying bills - you'll likely be taking out loans.  No way around it.  Many programs forbid working during their programs.

I was in the same boat (single, no kids, had to quit a full time job to go to PA school) and I use loans.  Really just isn't another way.  

Archived