Retaking Courses at a CC

why do people underestimate CC?? I don't get it!

Seriously! Do the big universities brain wash people into thinking their courses are so elite and CC courses are for the peasants?? I too took all mine at CC and got in. We had people in my A&P 1 and 2 classes from the big university that were dropping like flies. The classes overall had >50% attrition rate as well. Don't underestimate the CC...

why do people underestimate CC?? I don't get it!

Seriously! Do the big universities brain wash people into thinking their courses are so elite and CC courses are for the peasants?? I too took all mine at CC and got in. We had people in my A&P 1 and 2 classes from the big university that were dropping like flies. The classes overall had >50% attrition rate as well. Don't underestimate the CC...

From the Stony Brook PA program website

"The program stipulates that course work in the natural sciences be designated for science/pre-med majors. We prefer that science pre-requisites be taken at a four year science intensive University. "

Key word "prefer"...I could quote all day about specific programs. The OP was asking a general question. So IN GENERAL, no CC classes won't hurt them. And if a school were to deny a candidate based off that alone, its probably not one I would prefer to attend.

From the Stony Brook PA program website

"The program stipulates that course work in the natural sciences be designated for science/pre-med majors. We prefer that science pre-requisites be taken at a four year science intensive University. "

Key word "prefer"...I could quote all day about specific programs. The OP was asking a general question. So IN GENERAL, no CC classes won't hurt them. And if a school were to deny a candidate based off that alone, its probably not one I would prefer to attend.

Doing poorly at a university and then doing well at a CC for a retake can leave adcoms wondering whether you did better the second time around or whether it was just easier at the CC. Some schools may care and others may not so there isn't a yes or no answer to your question. Your best bet is to contact the schools you're interested in attending and ask them.

Doing poorly at a university and then doing well at a CC for a retake can leave adcoms wondering whether you did better the second time around or whether it was just easier at the CC. Some schools may care and others may not so there isn't a yes or no answer to your question. Your best bet is to contact the schools you're interested in attending and ask them.

Have you contacted the many schools on this issue, do you know this? My guess is you probably haven't. I was only pulling up an example of a school outright stating that CC is not viewed as favorably as a standard four year university. You really don't think adcoms take into account the difficulty of the schools they attend?

I would say yes, taking a class at a CC has the potential to hurt you, and especially if you are retaking a class that you did poorly in at the four year univeristy

Have you contacted the many schools on this issue, do you know this? My guess is you probably haven't. I was only pulling up an example of a school outright stating that CC is not viewed as favorably as a standard four year university. You really don't think adcoms take into account the difficulty of the schools they attend?

I would say yes, taking a class at a CC has the potential to hurt you, and especially if you are retaking a class that you did poorly in at the four year univeristy

You're right I have not contacted each school on this issue. However, pulling a quote from a PA program that doesn't require A&P in their pre-reqs and accepts shadowing hours as HCE doesn't impress me much.

To the OP, look at what schools you want to attend and take it from there. That will mold your decision best.

You're right I have not contacted each school on this issue. However, pulling a quote from a PA program that doesn't require A&P in their pre-reqs and accepts shadowing hours as HCE doesn't impress me much.

To the OP, look at what schools you want to attend and take it from there. That will mold your decision best.

I went to Valencia CC for Associates, UCF for Undergrad Bio BS, and retook some pre-reqs at Valencia CC and I got into PA school on the first try. That doesn't seem to matter to them. What matters is the overall trend in your grades, good experience in healthcare, and do well on your GRE.

I went to Valencia CC for Associates, UCF for Undergrad Bio BS, and retook some pre-reqs at Valencia CC and I got into PA school on the first try. That doesn't seem to matter to them. What matters is the overall trend in your grades, good experience in healthcare, and do well on your GRE.

Took about half my science pre-reqs, including Micro, A&P, and Biochem, at a community college and had no trouble during my application cycle. I honestly never even gave it a second thought. My understanding going into it was that PA was designed for people with prior careers in healthcare. (That's an oversimplification, but that's what I thought when I started the path.) Since there was no other way for me to take my classes other than one/semester at a community college while working at the hospital full time to pay my bills, I assumed the schools would just deal with it.

I love me some CC.

Archived