2017-2018 Cycle

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first question is: Is anyone else applying without upper division biology or chemistry credits? My prereqs are finished and my GPA is solid, but I have no 300 level science coursework since I chose community college. We can apply with a class or two in progress (up until December 31st 2017).... but right now I'm debating taking full time work so I can get back on my feet financially before PA school. Any advice on whether to forego the full time work vs push to get an upper division genetics or organic course done? Thank you kindly.

My first question is: Is anyone else applying without upper division biology or chemistry credits? My prereqs are finished and my GPA is solid, but I have no 300 level science coursework since I chose community college. We can apply with a class or two in progress (up until December 31st 2017).... but right now I'm debating taking full time work so I can get back on my feet financially before PA school. Any advice on whether to forego the full time work vs push to get an upper division genetics or organic course done? Thank you kindly.

It depends on how much PCE you have. If you have enough I would try to squeeze in those classes.

Also, do you have a Bachelor's degree? If you've only taken the prerequisites in community college and don't have a Bachelor's degree, you already don't meet minimum requirements for OHSU. If you do have one, then I would agree that it comes down to direct patient care.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's a given, no one can apply without a bachelors (I have a masters and worked in the mental health field for 9 years). My question is specifically regarding upper division coursework. Overall I know my application is strong, but I feel insecure about not having 300-400 level science prereqs. Some schools look more wholistically at applicants, OHSU may not be one of them.

Just wondering if anyone has similar feelings.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a given, no one can apply without a bachelors (I have a masters and worked in the mental health field for 9 years). My question is specifically regarding upper division coursework. Overall I know my application is strong, but I feel insecure about not having 300-400 level science prereqs. Some schools look more wholistically at applicants, OHSU may not be one of them.

OHSU is a program that looks at applicants holistically​.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily a given, especially with other schools in Oregon that don't require a Bachelor's degree. OHSU specifically cares more for clinical experience and direct patient care over academics, but those still have to be good. So long as you have the upper division prerequisites then I would say you're fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first time applying! I am not an oregon resident and so i am worried that will hurt my chances. Any opinions??

I don't feel that would hurt your chances. Having a lot of direct patient care hours, good grades, decent GRE, and such well surpass the location of the applicant. Be confident in your abilities and why you want to be a PA and it will show :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived