Low GRE...Feed back please

Hi, 

I just took the GRE for the 2nd time and went from a 293 to a 295.  My question is how bad is this for when I apply to PA school.

General Info:

Veteran of US Air Force as  Med Lab Tech (>8000 HCE)

Graduated top of my class in both phases of training with the Air Force

GPA 3.3 with honors

Letters from a MD/PhD and a fellow Med Lab Tech that became a PA after the military

Also, while I was an undergrad I was going to school full time, working full time and helping to raise my newborn daughter.  So you can see I was juggling a lot on my plate and still graduated well and with honors.   

Thanks to everyone reading this and giving any advice and insight.

Even the GRE people themselves (ETS) advise institutions to not put too much weight on them. They are designed to be a part of the admissions package. I get the impression most institutions do not weight them too heavily.

What were your percentile scores in the areas? The scoring on these changes so raw numbers might not mean much to people.

It will only be a problem if a school uses it to filter applications.  Colloquially it's said that a score of a 300 is used as a baseline.  That may not be universally true, but generally if you're over 300 you're not likely to get filtered out.

With thousands of applications each year, a program has to start somewhere.  If you make it past the (hypothetical) GRE minimum filter, then yea, I'm sure it's not weighted much.  There's never any definitive way to know.

If I was you I would retake the GRE. I say this so you don't end up like me. More than likely I am going to have to apply for a 4th time. This is mainly due to my low GRE score. Everything else in my application is above average. I received a GRE score of 297 three years ago and all I have received are rejections with 2 interviews. I regret not retaking it when I first took it to save me from the stress and heartbreak of rejections these past 3 years. I really do think programs filter out applicants if their GRE score is not above the 50th percentile. 

If I was you I would retake the GRE. I say this so you don't end up like me. More than likely I am going to have to apply for a 4th time. This is mainly due to my low GRE score. Everything else in my application is above average. I received a GRE score of 297 three years ago and all I have received are rejections with 2 interviews. I regret not retaking it when I first took it to save me from the stress and heartbreak of rejections these past 3 years. I really do think programs filter out applicants if their GRE score is not above the 50th percentile.

There are always programs that do not require GRE. I earned about that you scored and I was told it was not THAT important and if I would have applied... I would have been accepted. Always do research on the school and median stats, and contact the adcom if you're unsure.

Thanks again for everyone giving me advice and insight.  I have contacted some programs near me to try and speak with them one on one to "plead my case" and know it may fall on deaf ears.  But, nothing ventured nothing gained I always keep telling myself.  Do think I will re-take the GRE as many folks are telling me that some programs might have that "screen out anything below 300".  

Archived