Job Market for New Grads in Ohio

It's 3 months since I passed my boards and 2 months since I got my license. I'm in Ohio around Cleveland area and job opportunities for me as a new grad have been very limited. I'm not impatient but was wondering approximately how long after licensure do most people start working? I'm willing to relocate although that was not my original plan. In the last 4 months, I've applied to many jobs. Most want experience, another wanted an NP(she believed she had to be present at all times with a PA and although I informed her that it wasn't true, she made up her mind that it was an NP she wanted), and the two I interviewed for, although seemed very promising ultimately picked a different candidate. It took more than 1 month each to get notified that I wasn't selected for the job.

I was talking to a recruiter on the phone, and she said Ohio was a hard job market.

I wasn't aware of this problem when I joined PA school. There are 2 big hospital systems around. Not much else.

What states are good for new grad PA to practice? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your responses. I will see what's available out there then make my decision. I have young kids to think about as well, but don't think moving will be a problem for them.

I'm unsure about residency. Don't know the real benefit of them. Most PAs are hired without attending a residency program. Another thing, if I like different specialties, I feel that residency will limit me to one area.

While it is true that Ohio has historically been unfriendly for PAs, I think the new graduate's experience with increased competition in the marketplace from NPs and less interest in the PA reflects my ongoing concern about unnecessary reboarding and the AAPAs unwillingness to make a plan to win 50 state independent practice. PAs are continuing to cede practice space to NPs at a rate such that the PA profession will not be in existence in ten years. Each of these reports from the front are a sign of the thing signified; that is that our profession is in rapid decline. Unless and until PAs win independent practice, we will continue to be beaten by the NPs. They are now at 23 states with independent practice. They own the federal practice space for corrections and the VA. PAs have no opportunities to compete in the aforementioned regions. Our piece of the pie continues to shrink. A very few wealthy PAs on this forum who are pulling in over 200K repeatedly deny what I am predicting. The only winners right now in this profession are the AAPA, NCCPA and the hundreds of PA programs themselves. New grads are coming out with a couple hundred grand in debt and few prospects. If they find something, the field will evaporate just when they pay off their student loans. 

I'm also a recent graduate (July 2017)....I currently work MICU in Columbus. Many of my classmates also work in Columbus and I don't think any of my classmates had trouble finding work in Ohio. I can tell you that there many ED job openings in Columbus if you're interested in that field.....and yes the practice laws and formulary in Ohio is beyond archaic and I'm having some issues with this at work

overthehorizon, I don't think your prediction is right that we'll be extinct in 10yrs, however, I agree that NPs have an unfair advantage over PAs. I also agree that we need to have a path to independent practice. Obviously, the supervisory requirement is considered burdensome by many physicians so laws have to change, and change fast.

JoeM, maybe it's just me having issues. But I know several students from classes before me who got jobs after months of job searching. I'm in the Cleveland area, which has 2 major hospital systems so that might be the difference.

About Ohio laws, since the current AAPA president, Josanne Pagel, is actually at the Cleveland Clinic right here in Ohio, hopefully she helps to change some of the laws that make it hard for PAs to practice.

I am moving back to Cleveland in a couple months and found it pretty easy to find a job.  Cleveland Clinic has many openings right now.  Look on indeed.com, Cleveland Clinic, and University web sites.  

Ohio has really changed for PAs.  When I first started practicing and couldn't write an RX and couldn't see a new patient/new conditions...yes it sucked very much.  Now, it really isn't that bad.  They need to make some changes for sure, but depending on what type of practice you are in there is no issue with practicing.  Comparing Ohio to California and Hawaii (two states I've practiced in), I see no difference in my ability to practice.  

dizzyjon I'm a new grad so my experience when it relates to job search is going to be different from yours.

Yes, I've applied to all those places you've mentioned, even interviewed but so far, no job offer yet!

Have you considered contacting a recruiter? They sometimes have access to jobs that have not posted yet, or were taken down due to inactivity.

After I graduated and was looking in Ohio, most jobs were surgery or ED/UC. I moved to Minnesota and am working in infectious diseases (my top choice). Each team (internal med, ICU, hospitalist, etc.) has PAs and NPs on it. It is great and I seriously don't think I would be able to move back to Ohio and have anything similar! 

It's 3 months since I passed my boards and 2 months since I got my license. I'm in Ohio around Cleveland area and job opportunities for me as a new grad have been very limited. I'm not impatient but was wondering approximately how long after licensure do most people start working? I'm willing to relocate although that was not my original plan. In the last 4 months, I've applied to many jobs. Most want experience, another wanted an NP(she believed she had to be present at all times with a PA and although I informed her that it wasn't true, she made up her mind that it was an NP she wanted), and the two I interviewed for, although seemed very promising ultimately picked a different candidate. It took more than 1 month each to get notified that I wasn't selected for the job.

I was talking to a recruiter on the phone, and she said Ohio was a hard job market.

I wasn't aware of this problem when I joined PA school. There are 2 big hospital systems around. Not much else.

What states are good for new grad PA to practice? Any advice would be appreciated.

I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating, not that it will change anything for anyone.

For new grads it's becoming very hard to find jobs and only going to get worse.  Medical schools have only increased enrollment 27% in the last 18 years.  PA schools have increased enrollment more than 200% and NP schools have increased enrollment almost 300% in that time frame.  And there is no sign of a slow down.  Continuing to see more programs open and increasing class sizes.  Do you see a problem?

sillycibin, you're right. I honestly didn't know there was a problem. All these articles talking about shortage in the medical profession and how great the job outlook is only to finish school and everyone wants someone with experience. Where will I get the experience if no one is giving me a chance? If I'm hired and don't produce they can fire me, but I have to be given a chance to prove myself.

I get an interview only for them to tell me they need someone with more experience. This is disappointing!

Archived