University of Iowa 2017-2018 Applicants

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/22/2017 at 8:22 AM, HawkIPA2020 said:

From what I understand about the process at Iowa, they can send out invites as late as 1-2 weeks prior to each interview date. There is one more interview session January 12th/13th.

Good luck!

You were right, I just got an invite to interview today for next Thursday and Friday after being placed on the interview hold list on Nov 9th. Any advice? 

17 hours ago, mitteh71 said:

You were right, I just got an invite to interview today for next Thursday and Friday after being placed on the interview hold list on Nov 9th. Any advice? 

Congrats on getting an interview!

Honestly, no real advice. A week prior to your interview, they will send you a link with a video and description of the MMI process. The entire two days on campus was actually pretty laid back. The faculty and staff do a great job at making you feel welcome. For the actual interview, whether it's Iowa or any other program that utilizes the MMI format, there is really no way to actually prepare for the questions they will ask you. It's actually a really good way to weed out people who might rehearse answers based on what they think interviewers want to hear and who is being their genuine self. I had fun doing MMI and really enjoyed it.

With that being said, the only real advice I can give you will come as no surprise, but just be yourself. Before my interview, I thought people giving the advice to "just be myself" was some cookie cutter answer with no real meaning behind it. But now having gone through the process, it really is the best advice. They already know who you are on paper and you were impressive enough in their eyes to be offered an interview. Now, they truly want to get to know you to see if you will be a good fit for their class/program.

You can PM me if you have any more questions. If you have questions on where to stay or what to see while in the area, I live and work in Iowa City so I'm pretty familiar with things and would be happy to help! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 10:41 PM, PrePA6852 said:

Has anyone accepted heard anything about a Facebook group? Kaila mentioned one, but I hadn't seen anything about that in emails. So excited to meet everyone, and good luck to those still waiting! 

I also tried several name variations, but wasn't able to find it. If one does exist, could anyone point us in the right direction? Very excited to possibly meet all of you too!

14 hours ago, Sensa23 said:

I also tried several name variations, but wasn't able to find it. If one does exist, could anyone point us in the right direction? Very excited to possibly meet all of you too!

Back in December we got an email from Kaila/Tom indicating that they would like us to wait until March when we receive the first official "welcome" email. They just want to fill each seat and finalize the class prior to the creation of a group. As far as I can tell though, I think that it is up to someone in each class to create the page. 

• 3 months later...

Hey! For anyone else accepted already! I haven't been able to find the facebook page that was mentioned in the welcome letter! I just got accepted yesterday so i'm on the hunt for a roommate! If anyone can point me in the direction of the page or know anyone needing a roommate, message me! 

Archived