OHIO University of Dayton 2017-2018 Applicants

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I interviewed on 11/17 and was sent a "letter of intent to enroll" saying that a spot would be held for me in the class of 2020, which I assume means I have been accepted. I was told when I interviewed that we wouldn't hear back until the first of the year as well but I guess they're letting some people know early. They're acceptance letter was pretty confusing though.

One was or another I will NOT be attending UD's PA program. I've interviewed at Penn State, Arcadia University, Yale, and Towson University and this interview was by far the worst. The interview experience was extremely poor as they never supplied us with any information on the program, and when were given time to ask questions at the end they were not very forth coming in their answers. I really did not like they're "survivor island" interview technique and found it rude and unnecessary. Also the rotation coordinator of the program was snarky when we tried to ask questions about rotations (because they never supplied any information for us) and basically told us all of our rotations had to be done in Dayton and if we had a really good reason we might to have a chance to do one rotation out of state. The bottom line is I do not trust this program.

I wish the best of luck to all the other applicants, and hope others had a better experience than I had.

22 hours ago, jmjones said:

I interviewed on 11/17 and was sent a "letter of intent to enroll" saying that a spot would be held for me in the class of 2020, which I assume means I have been accepted. I was told when I interviewed that we wouldn't hear back until the first of the year as well but I guess they're letting some people know early. They're acceptance letter was pretty confusing though.

One was or another I will NOT be attending UD's PA program. I've interviewed at Penn State, Arcadia University, Yale, and Towson University and this interview was by far the worst. The interview experience was extremely poor as they never supplied us with any information on the program, and when were given time to ask questions at the end they were not very forth coming in their answers. I really did not like they're "survivor island" interview technique and found it rude and unnecessary. Also the rotation coordinator of the program was snarky when we tried to ask questions about rotations (because they never supplied any information for us) and basically told us all of our rotations had to be done in Dayton and if we had a really good reason we might to have a chance to do one rotation out of state. The bottom line is I do not trust this program.

I wish the best of luck to all the other applicants, and hope others had a better experience than I had.

was this sent to your via email or mail?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question from everyone. I interviewed here in November and LOVED the school and people. However, I was recently accepted to another program that has been accredited for quite some time, and that is honestly the only issue I am having. I of course am not assuming I am accepted here, but I was just curious if anyone had any information on what led to their probation status and what the chances are of them losing accreditation completely. My heart is definitely pulling for Dayton but logically I feel I should choose the more established program. I would appreciate your thoughts :)

4 hours ago, rosins20 said:

I have a quick question from everyone. I interviewed here in November and LOVED the school and people. However, I was recently accepted to another program that has been accredited for quite some time, and that is honestly the only issue I am having. I of course am not assuming I am accepted here, but I was just curious if anyone had any information on what led to their probation status and what the chances are of them losing accreditation completely. My heart is definitely pulling for Dayton but logically I feel I should choose the more established program. I would appreciate your thoughts :)

I also got accepted to two schools. You're in a tough spot because everyone has told me follow your heart with which one felt right. However, my uncle is a physician and I was discussing Daytons accreditation status with him and he told me to for sure choose the school that is fully accredited. Even if you are guaranteed a seat as they say for the PANCE, he said the accreditation thing could potentially cause employers to be weary in hiring me in the future. Don't know if this helps, but good luck! 

In regards to the question about probation status, I read a great article by this PA in Texas who runs a blog about being a PA and all things PA school related. I even talked to her on the phone, as this was a major contemplation for me too. Here is the link to her article, it's worth the read and breaks down all accreditation status situations and provides really good insight from a practicing PA. From what I gathered on the phone, accreditation status isn't the end all be all when making a decision. It's more about the confidence you feel in the program regaining accreditation. And we all sit for the same board certifying exam, so in the end if you think you will be prepared to take the exam, that's what matters. I hope this helps!

https://beaphysicianassistant.com/blog/how-to-factor-accreditation-status-into-pa-program-choice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Current first year here! 

To clear up some interview day questions, they give a packet when the interview day first begins and all faculty is present to share further information about the program. You then have 3 individual interviews with faculty, a group activity, and an essay. Although the group interview may be uncomfortable (they always are!), it is to see how well you work with others! Lastly, there is a Q&A with faculty and then alone with current students to ask whatever you would like, off-record. As for clinical rotations, you CAN do rotations outside of Dayton and know several people who have. We also have an option for an international rotation!

As for the probation status, I am not worried. The program is already accredited, but had something the review team thought needed improvement. In our case, we were placed on probation due to data, NOT curriculum or any other issues. Per faculty, these issues were fixed immediately and I am not worried about losing accreditation whatsoever. 

I can say with confidence that I am very happy with my decision to come here--This program is awesome! I LOVE the faculty, my classmates, and believe the systems based curriculum is the way to go. I know many (if not all) my classmates feel the same.

Remember with each program interview you have, they are not just interviewing you but you are also interviewing them! Sounds cheesy, but trust your gut. For me, Dayton was the program I felt most "at home," so when accepted I trusted that instinct and couldn't be happier!

1 hour ago, Catalyzf said:

Has anyone heard if they have gotten wait listed or denied yet? I feel like we should all hear shortly.

I just got an email that I was waitlisted. Still holding hope. I am an UD alumni so I was hoping that’d help. Do they take a lot off the waitlist?

14 hours ago, tpryz said:

I just got an email that I was waitlisted. Still holding hope. I am an UD alumni so I was hoping that’d help. Do they take a lot off the waitlist?

They accepted a handful off the waitlist last year. I was accepted off the waitlist early February, however, I know someone who was accepted in June off the waitlist as well.

Archived