Rosalind Franklin 2017-2018 Applicants

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, ClimbingRhino said:

Thanks @Emrose, and good luck on Friday! I'll give you a bit of the advice that I've given to others that have asked. 

I know you've probably heard this a million times already, but try not to be nervous! Be yourself, know why you're a good fit for Rosalind, and why you think the school is a good fit for you. Also, when you're done with one interviewer in the MMI, move on. That one is done, and you'll be starting over with a clean slate with each station so there's no reason to sweat the small stuff. The interviewers are there to get to know you and see if you'll be a good fit for the cohort that they're building and for the program. You made it to the interview already which is a big accomplishment by itself, so be proud of that, and let your personality shine!

Also, if you're in the area the day/night before, I'd highly suggest seeing if some other applicants want to meet up for dinner or something. It'll help you relax and give you at least a couple people that you recognize in the room the next day. There are some decent places near Rosalind in Lake Bluff, and if you head a little closer to Chicago there are a ton of options.

Hey @ClimbingRhino, thank you so much for all of this advice and insight. Super helpful! If you have time to answer another question, what was unique about RFU to you? Why would students want to go there over somewhere else in your opinion?? 

No problem, @Emrose. There was a ton that I liked about RFU (it was my top choice school, after all), some of it unique to the school in particular, some of it just the mark of any good program.

The faculty there is top notch and really seems to work toward building close relationships with each of the students, despite the larger cohort size. Michel Statler, the program director, is also the director of the PAEA board of directors so she's very plugged in to what is coming in the future for PA education. I'm not sure if it's because of that, but the students we spoke to said that the faculty is really receptive to making changes in the curriculum in order to better meet the needs of the students in future classes - those surveys that you take at the end of a course will actually result in changes being made if it's a valid concern. The current students also told us that they have a gigantic network of clinical sites to choose from, including many outside of Illinois and even a few outside of the US. There's even a community clinic run by the school that you can start volunteering at during your first year to get hands on patient experience as a provider before you start rotations.

Another thing that is more anecdotal, but I didn't see any students around the campus that looked stressed. Everyone just looked, well, happy to be there and like they really enjoyed the educations they were getting. They've got a "nap nook" in the building to go and crash for a bit if you need a quiet space to relax, there are treadmill and elliptical desks so you can burn off some stress while you study, the anatomy lab was huuuuuuuge (my tour group got to go in during med students' cadaver dissections), and you're only about a 40 minute train ride from downtown Chicago and everything that it has to offer.

Is there likely to be another round of invitations sent out? Are they all sent out at the same time or are they staggered?

There will definitely be more invites. They initially sent out invites for July-October. I spoke with them about a month ago and they said they will be sending out invites for nov-feb in about a month. So hopefully soon.

When did your application get verified? Have you heard any feedback from them since?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, tjl2888 said:

There will definitely be more invites. They initially sent out invites for July-October. I spoke with them about a month ago and they said they will be sending out invites for nov-feb in about a month. So hopefully soon.

When did your application get verified? Have you heard any feedback from them since?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completed and verified only late August. Other late applicants here? How late is too late?

@tommyktm28 Unless you have something specific to say to specific people from the MMI, I'd say that it's best to just forgo the thank you note. There's nothing wrong with only thanking certain individuals from an MMI-style interview, but sending a blanket statement to the school just for the sake of sending one is, I think, mostly pointless.

2 hours ago, tommyktm28 said:

Question regarding thank you notes. With the MMI, how should we go about sending a thank you? Any of the previous interviewers care to chime in? 

I sent thank yous to everyone. For a couple, I sent specific notes about questions or things we had discussed. For the rest, I emphasized how much I enjoyed my time and how interested I was in the program (but each thank you was different, not just a copy and paste). For what it's worth, 4 of them replied to my thank yous with short notes. I don't think a thank you ever hurts!

24 minutes ago, Namelessrd said:

I got the complete and under review email on July 6th where they said "please allow 2-4 weeks." That was 12 weeks ago..... I sent them an application update a few weeks ago with new hours and a new job position and they acknowledged that update but said nothing about my very long wait. Should i do something?

If it gives you peace of mind, you may want to call and ask if/when there will be results available. Someone posted here earlier that a new set of invites could be going out soon, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet. Agree that twelve weeks is a long time.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:51 AM, tjl2888 said:

Has anyone received interview invites for October or later dates? Anyone that initially received the email "continued consideration" or "held for further review" receive an interview invite for these dates?

I have! Got an interview invite for October 20th! And I had initially received that continued consideration email too.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:47 AM, tommyktm28 said:

Question regarding thank you notes. With the MMI, how should we go about sending a thank you? Any of the previous interviewers care to chime in? 

I mailed a handwritten thank you note to the faculty member who conducted my 10-minute personal interview and included some of the topics we had discussed. I also sent a single handwritten thank you note to the admissions committee thanking them for the opportunity to interview and emphasizing how positive my experience was with the program/MMI. I definitely believe that expressing your gratitude for the interview opportunity in a thank you note is appropriate even for MMI-especially if you connected with a specific faculty member that day. Hope this helps! :) 

I just got an interview invite yesterday, Oct 2.

I submitted CASPA in late June, got a "application complete" email July 3, and heard NOTHING in between for 3 months, and then Oct 2 received an interview invite. 

When scheduling the interview I tried to select Oct 20 or Nov 17, but it wouldn't let me click it (only let me click Dec 8). So I emailed them and they said the Oct & Nov interview dates are full and that I could be placed on the wait list for them. Right now I am scheduled for Dec 8, but I haven't heard of anyone scheduling for Nov 17... The guy I emailed with didn't seem to know 100% why I couldn't select those dates so they might be looking into it? I'll follow up and hopefully they respond. 

22 minutes ago, lea33 said:

I submitted CASPA in late June, got a "application complete" email July 3, and heard NOTHING in between for 3 months, and then Oct 2 received an interview invite. 

When scheduling the interview I tried to select Oct 20 or Nov 17, but it wouldn't let me click it (only let me click Dec 8). So I emailed them and they said the Oct & Nov interview dates are full and that I could be placed on the wait list for them. Right now I am scheduled for Dec 8, but I haven't heard of anyone scheduling for Nov 17... The guy I emailed with didn't seem to know 100% why I couldn't select those dates so they might be looking into it? I'll follow up and hopefully they respond. 

Did the guy you spoke say that they haven't scheduled for November yet, or he was just unsure if they had or not? The October invites were sent out about a month or so ago, so I'm not surprised those are filled, but I agree I haven't seen anyone posting that scheduled an interview for November yet. Seems odd that those would be full already. I spoke with someone over the phone over a month ago regarding the differences between emails and he said they haven't released November dates yet, but October ones have been sent out already. 

3 hours ago, lea33 said:

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

8 minutes ago, tjl2888 said:

Congrats!!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure! 

cGPA: 3.90, sGPA: 3.86, GRE: 316

Patient care hours: 1200 as an orthopedic surgery office MA, 180 hours MA in an internal med office, 350 administrative position front desk at a clinic. 

Shadowing: 21 hours 

Archived