Northwestern 2017-2018 Applicants

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, tjl2888 said:

Thank you. Any idea the waiting period between getting the complete file email and a potential interview invite/waitlist/rejection?

If you read the last 6-7 posts you'd see it is somewhat unpredictable as someone submitted their application 2-3 weeks after the rest of us and is the only one so far that has gotten an interview invite.

Not good lol I honestly just applied without being prepared and didn't submit until October. And they are still on the low end. Last year:

Cumulative GPA: 3.1

Sciece: 2.8

Hours: Around 100

(Told you it was bad lol) 

This year my GPAs have slightly improved to around 3.2 and 3.0.

I have almost 1000 hours now  

I might be worse than you are, depends on how you look at things on paper. I am a non-traditional student. My bachelors degree is in Finance. I decided to go back to school 6 years later to complete all of the science pre-reqs etc...

cumGPA: 2.76

ScienceGPA: 3.63

HC Hours: 1,250

7 minutes ago, CorptoPA said:

I might be worse than you are, depends on how you look at things on paper. I am a non-traditional student. My bachelors degree is in Finance. I decided to go back to school 6 years later to complete all of the science pre-reqs etc...

cumGPA: 2.75

I think they generally like a higher science but who knows. My science is horrid. Thank you organic II. And I believe the average age of applicants all over is around 27 so no worries!

Just now, hgill said:

I think they generally like a higher science but who knows. My science is horrid. Thank you organic II. And I believe the average age of applicants all over is around 27 so no worries!

Well, I hope we both obtain an interview. I older than the average age and have a decent science pre-req... so here is to hoping!

53 minutes ago, CorptoPA said:

cumGPA: 2.75

I know that as a requirement, "Applicants must possess an overall minimum grade point average of at least 2.80 (on a 4.0 scale) to be considered for admittance," so I would be sure you even qualify otherwise it's a waste of money to apply when you don't even meet the requirements and will just be rejected come January when they send out all decisions.

16 hours ago, eheadley said:

I know that as a requirement, "Applicants must possess an overall minimum grade point average of at least 2.80 (on a 4.0 scale) to be considered for admittance," so I would be sure you even qualify otherwise it's a waste of money to apply when you don't even meet the requirements and will just be rejected come January when they send out all decisions.

Yes I second this, and I know it to be very true (there is no leniency) as my school calculated my sGPA as a 3.26, but CASPA calculated it as a 3.24 which DQ'd me from a school already with a minimum sGPA requirement of 3.25...

I sometimes wonder why schools like Northwestern say that they will even accept a minimum of a 2.8. I would imagine the overwhelming majority of people getting interviews have 3.6/3.7's+. It seems like a money grab.

13 hours ago, hartriver said:

I got an offer today to interview on Sept 27th!

It looks like this is the 3rd session they have, based on the posts in this thread.

Congrats!

1 hour ago, LeQuack said:

I sometimes wonder why schools like Northwestern say that they will even accept a minimum of a 2.8. I would imagine the overwhelming majority of people getting interviews have 3.6/3.7's+. It seems like a money grab.

Congrats!

The whole business of "minimums" is a money-grab. They already know that they're more than likely to only accept or extend an interview out to 3.5+'s and that they'll get an overwhelming amount of applicants far beyond this (considering NW's reputation). The minimum is just to give some little sense of hope to people who barely meet it to increase their pool and revenue in turn. Sucks, and a waste of everyone's time, but I could probably venture out to say that application season is a long-awaited payday for most schools.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 2:54 PM, Brother of Gus said:

Not yet. Hoping to hear soon though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/5/2017 at 2:52 PM, lemurcatta said:

Has anyone from the Aug 23 interview heard anything?

How was the interview experience for each of you? How did you feel about the group interview? What was your overall opinion of the program compared to others you may have interviewed at already? Just curious! I interview on 9/15. Good Luck and Hope you hear back soon! I think the worst part of this whole application/interview process is the waiting!

1 hour ago, Leelanau16 said:

How was the interview experience for each of you? How did you feel about the group interview? What was your overall opinion of the program compared to others you may have interviewed at already? Just curious! I interview on 9/15. Good Luck and Hope you hear back soon! I think the worst part of this whole application/interview process is the waiting!

Interview was a positive experience. School and program seems really legit, was very impressed. Group interview isn't stressful, and Kevin and the program director will explain it when you get there. Don't worry about it, just be prepared to participate. And yes waiting is definitely  the worst part.

I submitted my CASPA July 3rd, and the secondary a couple weeks later because I didn't know it was readily available. So it has been over a month without any contact from the program. Any idea if this is normal. Other people in this thread who have received interview invites heard back as soon as 2 weeks after they were notified that their file is complete. Should I reach out or would it be better to continue waiting?

24 minutes ago, tjl2888 said:

I submitted my CASPA July 3rd, and the secondary a couple weeks later because I didn't know it was readily available. So it has been over a month without any contact from the program. Any idea if this is normal. Other people in this thread who have received interview invites heard back as soon as 2 weeks after they were notified that their file is complete. Should I reach out or would it be better to continue waiting?

I got the app complete email 6/16 and haven't heard anything. This is my 4th time applying to schools. Northwestern is a waiting game and waits til January to let people know they've been rejected, so no news is good news til then :)

51 minutes ago, tjl2888 said:

For me, I heard from the program after a little over a month. My application went under review 6/26 and I received an invitation to interview on 8/14 for 9/27, so I think the time frame ranges.

On 9/7/2017 at 3:13 PM, tjl2888 said:

I always think that you should refrain from contacting the program as they are being bombarded right now being that it is peak application season.  As long as you know they have all of your materials try to be patient (I know its agonizing, I applied May 31 and haven't heard).  As much as this forum is great, every candidate is different and just because some people have a certain timeline, doesn't mean you will too!!

I got the confirmation email from Northwestern that they were reviewing my application 6/27 and I still have not heard anything from them. I'm so worried! Northwestern is like one of my top one or two choices so I really hope I get an interview...

I have a 3.90 cumulative GPA and also similar GPA in science, with 1300 hours as a medical assistant. I don't have much volunteering experience though (one semester of minimal), and only like 24 hours of shadowing. Secretary of my school's Pre-PA Club and did some international research with a grant.

I didn't know so many interviews have been happening, and after reading all these posts for the first time today I am much more worried! I really hope I hear something back soon......... ahhh

Archived