Health Professionals Scholarship Program (HPSP) - PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT

On 7/15/2019 at 10:11 AM, Jvick5345 said:
27 minutes ago, KSgirl said:

Just got an email that I got the scholarship!!!!

That is amazing!!! Congrats to you 🙂

10 minutes ago, ECB1994 said:

Was just notified I received the scholarship!

Congrats to you! Hopefully I will make it in the next round selection 🙂 

Well got the rejection email.  That sucks.  But it doesn't change the my plans of going to PA School.  

I am curious though how many of you that applied are veterans?  And of those how many were offered the scholarship?   

Just curious if anyone has any new updates...Scott D. advised there was 20-30 scholarships left...that they would make more decisions by the end of this week. I am not holding my breath but it seemed like they are still pulling off the alternate list

10 hours ago, sandiegoliving said:

Just curious if anyone has any new updates...Scott D. advised there was 20-30 scholarships left...that they would make more decisions by the end of this week. I am not holding my breath but it seemed like they are still pulling off the alternate list

Have not received any email yet. I would assume that if they made the decision, they would send out a general email like last Thursday. Good luck to us! 🙂 

I'm not really a "look at what i got" type of person, so I write this for those still waiting. It looks like the selections are continuing as I was notified today that I was selected...so hold on until the end of the month like Scott D. said...best of luck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sandiegoliving said:

I'm not really a "look at what i got" type of person, so I write this for those still waiting. It looks like the selections are continuing as I was notified today that I was selected...so hold on until the end of the month like Scott D. said...best of luck

Congrats! That is good news to hear. Were you pulled off the waitlist by chance?

1 hour ago, sandiegoliving said:

Congrats and thank you for letting us know 🙂

I’m confused..

so so did you guys have to meet with a recruiter and go through meps? My recruiter is saying the cycle opens August 15th and they meet for the first board some time around October... 

23 hours ago, BrittanyJ95 said:

I’m confused..

so so did you guys have to meet with a recruiter and go through meps? My recruiter is saying the cycle opens August 15th and they meet for the first board some time around October... 

This forum is for the VA HPSP...versus the ones offered by the military

On 7/30/2019 at 8:48 PM, sandiegoliving said:

yes I was on the alternate list, so they do pull ff of it

Has anyone had experience with the VA HPSP and the location aspect for the two year service agreement? I am looking for experiences of those who have received it and how much they were able to work with you for relocation or if they usually go with your preferences! Thank you!  

I have received the acceptance email from Mr. Dixon today. For those who are still waiting, please know that they are still making selection and I hope that you will receive the good news soon. 🤗 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By WakadanPA
      To my veteran PAs:
      I recently received an email about the Student to Service HRSA scholarship that states NPs and Certified Midwives are now eligible disciplines for the upcoming scholarship cycle. The reason for the addition is the bolster primary care and obgyn providers in underserved and rural areas. Makes sense to me... however to my surprise PAs are not included in this scholarship opportunity. 
      Is this an issue that the AAPA would take up? If not, who can I write about this issue other than the HRSA?

• By hlmort11
      Hi All,
      I was wondering if there are any places taking students for rotations starting in Jan 2021? 
      I would love a rotation in San Diego sometime between January and April as my husband is mobilized there with the NH Army National Guard.
      Other areas of geographical interest are the Midwest, New England, Alaska and Hawaii for Jan 2021-Dec 2021. Specifically rotations located in the following places:
      Western SD, Cheyenne, WY, Casper, WY, Western Nebraska, Denver, CO area inc. the foothills, Sioux City, IA, Topeka, KS, Indianapolis, IN, Palmer, AK, Hawaii, Minnesota, NH, VT, ME, and/or MA
      Thank you in advance!!
    • By dburleson
      I was wondering if anyone has been hired by the VA recently and what their opinion was of it? Knew PA vs NP salaries at one point were lacking parity, but didn't know how the rest of the benefits were. Thanks!
    • By PAeducator
      The new Simon Scholar PA scholarship program creates pathways for underserved Orange and San Diego County (California) students facing adversity by offering full tuition scholarships. This scholarship provides eligible students who wish to earn their Masters in Medical Science degree (MMS) at the Chapman University Physician Assistant program with the opportunity to graduate in two years with little or no debt. Up to ten scholarships per year will be awarded.
      The application portal for the Simon Scholar PA scholarship program is now open. This is the link:  https://chapmanuniversity-viceprovost.submittable.com/submit/165573/simon-scholar-pa-program-scholarship-application.
      You can also find more information on our website: Chapman.edu/SimonScholarPA. Here’s the link: https://www.chapman.edu/crean/academic-programs/graduate-programs/physician-assistant/scholarship-simon-scholar-physician-assistant-program.aspx.
      Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I’m looking forward to meeting you at one of our upcoming virtual information sessions.
      Kind regards,
      Jerry
      Gerald Glavaz, DHSc, PA-C
      Associate Dean
      Simon Scholar PA scholarship program, Chapman University
      glavaz@chapman.edu
      The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) has granted provisional accreditation status to the Chapman University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Chapman University.

• By LivingLfe
      Good Morning fellow veterans,
      Here is some information I received regarding the VA scholarship for 2020. 
      The application will open again around March 2020. The list of specific programs of study that HPSP will target in 2020 are Nursing (All Levels), Pharmacy, Diagnostic Radiological Technicians, Physician Assistants, and Medical Technologists. 
      To qualify for this Scholarship Program, you must be a U.S. citizen, unconditionally accepted for enrollment or currently enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree as determined by the Scholarship Program office just prior to the application opening. These occupations are determined by evaluating the VA Workforce Succession Plan and then targeting the Top 5 Title 38/Hybrid Title 38 hard to recruit/retain occupations in the VA. After completion of your education, you must serve as a full-time clinical VA employee for a minimum of two years for HPSP. If you are under a service obligation to serve at another entity or obligated under any other Federal program, you will be ineligible for the HPSP Scholarship Award. 

We encourage an active participation in the placement process by encouraging the participant to apply for positions in USAJobs as the HPSP staff work to market the participant nationally within the student's perspective occupation. All during the placement process, the staff is also seeking residency opportunities for the student. The placement is a collaborative effort between the HPSP Placement/Residency staff and the graduating student. For HPSP students, this collaboration also includes occupational specialty considerations. 
      For HPSP, we top off any existing grants and scholarship up to 100% tuition and approved fees. There is also a monthly stipend of $1,114 while you are in school as well as a once a year stipend of $1,125 for books. If you are a current full time Federal Employee, you will not qualify to receive the monthly stipend is selected. If you are receiving the GI Bill, this program will only supplement what you are receiving, and you can receive both the GI Bill monthly stipend and the HPSP monthly stipend concurrently.

Clinical Tour: (HPSP Only): Applicant must be willing to perform a clinical tour, at a VA healthcare facility, while the participant is enrolled in the course of education or training for which a scholarship is awarded.  The student is responsible to contact the school's clinical tour coordinator to determine the assignment and location of the clinical tour. The intent of the clinical tour requirement is not to add an additional burden onto the student but to exchange a current curriculum requirement with a VA Clinical.  If there are no existing affiliations or if space availability is an issue, please notify the scholarship team.
      Residencies (non-Medical School Students) are authorized, and you would have to request a Service Obligation Deferment.  After graduation, you can defer your service obligation till the residency is complete. You will incur an additional ½ the residency time to the service obligation. For example, if you graduate and owe 2-years to the VA, and then take a 1-year residency, you will incur and additional 6-months service obligation making your total service obligation 2 years and 6 months. If the residency is with the VA, the time in the residency does not count towards your service obligation and the additional time incurs as previously mentioned. Right now, only residencies of 1-year or less are being approved prior to the onset of the student Service Obligation.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More