Another New Grad Derm Offer

Hi All!

I received a job offer for a full-time dermatology PA position and would love to get some input regarding this offer from more experienced PAs. This would be my first job after graduation. The position is with a practice that has a handful of suburban locations ranging from 25 - 50 miles outside of a major downtown area. PAs at this practice have the opportunity to practice general medical derm +/- cosmetic procedures as they please. This practice offers extensive training for new PAs throughout the first year of employment. MAs scribe for providers during patient encounters. I have spent time shadowing a handful of providers at the company and they all seem generally content and things seem to run very efficiently.

Hours: Three 12-hour days per week (you typically work the same 3 days each week so you can schedule your time outside of work easily) + one 5-hour Saturday per month

1st year pay: 80k base + 20k within 1 month of start date = 100k

2nd year pay: 100k base + 20% of "adjusted receipts" after you hit the threshold of 500k

3rd year & onward pay: 100k base + 20% of "adjusted receipts" in excess of the bonus threshold for that calendar year quarter.

CME: $2500/year

DEA#, Licensing Fees, Professional Society Memberships (AAPA, State PA Society, & Society of Dermatology PAs) : Fully reimbursed by employer

PTO: 120 hours. Unused PTO can roll over into subsequent years but cannot exceed 160 hours.

Malpractice Insurance: Employer will pay for all premiums. Policy will have limits of 1,000,000/3,000,000 & retroactive date of coverage is the effective date. I would be responsible for continuing coverage and tail coverage after completing my last day of work at the company.

Health Insurance: Discounted BCBS through employer. $66.87/week for Platinum HMO w/$0.00 deductible.

401K: Offered after 1 year of employment w/100% match up to 4% of employee's compensation

Non-compete: 3-year non-compete within a 15 mile radius

• 2 weeks later...

pretty good

BUT

counter with these

Hours: Three 12-hour days per week (you typically work the same 3 days each week so you can schedule your time outside of work easily) + one 5-hour Saturday per month

1st year pay: 80k base + 20k within 1 month of start date.

2nd year pay: 100k base + bonus equal to 20% of "adjusted receipts" in excess of the second year bonus threshold of 500k - - - I would say this threshold is HIGH and it should just be 40% of collections over 200% of your salary 

3rd year & onward pay: 100k base + bonus equal to 20% of "adjusted receipts" in excess of the bonus threshold for that calendar year quarter. ---  I would say this threshold is HIGH and it should just be 40% of collections over 200% of your salary 

CME: $2500/year

DEA#, Licensing Fees, Professional Society Memberships (AAPA, State PA Society, & Society of Dermatology PAs) : Fully reimbursed by employer

PTO: 120 hours, accrued pro-rata. 10 hours per month are accrued during the first year.  Unused PTO can roll over into subsequent years but cannot exceed 160 hours. - - this is 3 weeks - this is only okay as a new grad - but as 3 years experience it is low.think in the future.

Malpractice Insurance: Company will pay for all premiums. Policy will have limits of 1,000,000/3,000,000 & retroactive date of coverage is the effective date. I would be responsible for continuing coverage and tail coverage after completing my last day of work at the company. - - -nope and nope - they pay all expenses of med mal insurance.  period....

Health InsuranceDiscounted BCBS through employer.  I would pay $66.87/week for Platinum HMO w/$0.00 deductible. Dental and Eye plans are separate and would be paid for by me.

401K: Offered after 1 year of employment w/100% match up to 4% of employee's compensation 

Non-compete: 3-year non-compete within a 15 mile radius of each practice location that the employee regularly provided 10% or more of services at during the preceding 12-months. --------

Deal Breaker - one year is the most I would sign for and 15 miles is pretty dang far - 1 year 5 mile radius as a counter....

pretty good

BUT

counter with these

Hours: Three 12-hour days per week (you typically work the same 3 days each week so you can schedule your time outside of work easily) + one 5-hour Saturday per month

1st year pay: 80k base + 20k within 1 month of start date.

2nd year pay: 100k base + bonus equal to 20% of "adjusted receipts" in excess of the second year bonus threshold of 500k - - - I would say this threshold is HIGH and it should just be 40% of collections over 200% of your salary 

3rd year & onward pay: 100k base + bonus equal to 20% of "adjusted receipts" in excess of the bonus threshold for that calendar year quarter. ---  I would say this threshold is HIGH and it should just be 40% of collections over 200% of your salary 

CME: $2500/year

DEA#, Licensing Fees, Professional Society Memberships (AAPA, State PA Society, & Society of Dermatology PAs) : Fully reimbursed by employer

PTO: 120 hours, accrued pro-rata. 10 hours per month are accrued during the first year.  Unused PTO can roll over into subsequent years but cannot exceed 160 hours. - - this is 3 weeks - this is only okay as a new grad - but as 3 years experience it is low.think in the future.

Malpractice Insurance: Company will pay for all premiums. Policy will have limits of 1,000,000/3,000,000 & retroactive date of coverage is the effective date. I would be responsible for continuing coverage and tail coverage after completing my last day of work at the company. - - -nope and nope - they pay all expenses of med mal insurance.  period....

Health InsuranceDiscounted BCBS through employer.  I would pay $66.87/week for Platinum HMO w/$0.00 deductible. Dental and Eye plans are separate and would be paid for by me.

401K: Offered after 1 year of employment w/100% match up to 4% of employee's compensation 

Non-compete: 3-year non-compete within a 15 mile radius of each practice location that the employee regularly provided 10% or more of services at during the preceding 12-months. --------

Deal Breaker - one year is the most I would sign for and 15 miles is pretty dang far - 1 year 5 mile radius as a counter....

I dislike the non-compete too.  I feel like 3 years and 15 miles is excessive, especially given that there's already something in the contract saying that I agree not to divulge company secrets or poach patients, employees, etc. should I leave.  However, I mulled it over and decided that if I were to leave this practice in the future it would be to move out of state or to move to a practice closer to downtown, where I live.  Since the nearest location for this practice is 25 miles away from the city, I decided the 15 mile radius isn't all that restrictive for me personally.

I agree with what you said about the bonus threshold. I plan to try to negotiate compensation and PTO after I've got a couple years of experience under my belt. 

Going forward, do you have any tips for how to negotiate the malpractice insurance? I found this difficult to negotiate since ~15+ other PAs have agreed to this condition over the years and I'm a new grad with little to no weight to throw around, comparatively. 

Thanks!

Hello! Thanks so much for posting this information. It is so difficult to get straight numbers and benefits like this. I am also a new grad and have been extended a position in Derm :) The office is in Laguna, CA so I have heard the compensation should be better due to the affluence of the community, but really have no idea what to expect. I am also supposed to be trained in Mohs and cosmetics.

Where are your offices located?

Will you be doings Mohs closures?

What study materials are you using?

Thanks and best of luck to you!!

Hello! Thanks so much for posting this information. It is so difficult to get straight numbers and benefits like this. I am also a new grad and have been extended a position in Derm :) The office is in Laguna, CA so I have heard the compensation should be better due to the affluence of the community, but really have no idea what to expect. I am also supposed to be trained in Mohs and cosmetics.

Where are your offices located?

Will you be doings Mohs closures?

What study materials are you using?

Thanks and best of luck to you!!

Sent you a PM :)

Archived