My Plan

Okay, I apologize for posting this, I'm sure that you guys read hundreds of these and I'm sure they get old but I really would appreciate the opinions of all the wise folks on here :D

I am currently a sophomore at my local community college, MGCCC. My summer semester was my first semester and I didn't do all too well and passed with a 3.0. Fall semester on the other hand was a great success for me, 4.0 :) It would seem that colleges measure quality points instead of percentage. So I will have my associate of science at the end of this summer. I am currently enrolled in A&P I, Chemistry I, Bio II, Trig., and First aid. Then in the summer I will take A & P II, Chemistry II and possibly pre-Cal. I am also taking CNA classes. I intend to keep up my 4.0 streak. My current gpa is 3.44. I will be a certified nurse's aid on Feb 28. Once I obtain my Associate of Science, I will take a year off and do full-time CNA which will net me somewhere around 2000 hours in patient contact/ HCE. After that I will transfer to University of South Alabama, obtain my bacholers in Biomedicine and then apply to the PA program. I am also currently doing an internship at Singing River Hospital in Pascagoula, MS in surgery. I do no intend on doing a surgery specialty but I figured that it would look good on an application regardless. Please let me know what you guys think and give me any advice in regard to improving my odds of acceptance. Thank you in advance!!!

Okay, I apologize for posting this, I'm sure that you guys read hundreds of these and I'm sure they get old but I really would appreciate the opinions of all the wise folks on here :D

I am currently a sophomore at my local community college, MGCCC. My summer semester was my first semester and I didn't do all too well and passed with a 3.0. Fall semester on the other hand was a great success for me, 4.0 :) It would seem that colleges measure quality points instead of percentage. So I will have my associate of science at the end of this summer. I am currently enrolled in A&P I, Chemistry I, Bio II, Trig., and First aid. Then in the summer I will take A & P II, Chemistry II and possibly pre-Cal. I am also taking CNA classes. I intend to keep up my 4.0 streak. My current gpa is 3.44. I will be a certified nurse's aid on Feb 28. Once I obtain my Associate of Science, I will take a year off and do full-time CNA which will net me somewhere around 2000 hours in patient contact/ HCE. After that I will transfer to University of South Alabama, obtain my bacholers in Biomedicine and then apply to the PA program. I am also currently doing an internship at Singing River Hospital in Pascagoula, MS in surgery. I do no intend on doing a surgery specialty but I figured that it would look good on an application regardless. Please let me know what you guys think and give me any advice in regard to improving my odds of acceptance. Thank you in advance!!!

The science department has access to multiple internships and the only ones pertaining to medicine were one in surgery and DNA sequencing. Frankly, I would have rather done DNA sequencing but I was quite confident that surgery would look better on an application.

ok, good choice. you can still learn valuable info about medicine in general on a surgery service so keep your ears and eyes open and it will serve you well. good luck.

The science department has access to multiple internships and the only ones pertaining to medicine were one in surgery and DNA sequencing. Frankly, I would have rather done DNA sequencing but I was quite confident that surgery would look better on an application.

ok, good choice. you can still learn valuable info about medicine in general on a surgery service so keep your ears and eyes open and it will serve you well. good luck.

Don't waste your time with Pre-Cal. Take Genetics, Patho, or another Bio class that will teach you useful material. I strongly doubt any adcom, anywhere, has taken somone over another because they took pre-cal. It just does not apply to anything. Not only will a class like genetics actually be useful and more impressive to a commitee, but it will increase the number of schools you can apply to. I took pre-cal in my BA when I though I was going a different route and learned nothing of consequence (and I love math).

Don't waste your time with Pre-Cal. Take Genetics, Patho, or another Bio class that will teach you useful material. I strongly doubt any adcom, anywhere, has taken somone over another because they took pre-cal. It just does not apply to anything. Not only will a class like genetics actually be useful and more impressive to a commitee, but it will increase the number of schools you can apply to. I took pre-cal in my BA when I though I was going a different route and learned nothing of consequence (and I love math).

Thank you for all the feedback and advice. I greatly appreciate it. I have all my prerequisites out of the way and am focusing solely on science courses. Unfortunetly, my community college does not offer genetics or any classes of that nature. As I stated previously, I will be taking A&P II, Chemistry II, and Microbiology in the summer to finish up my Associates degree. I will take those higher class sciences at USA. Any more feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Archived