Is it too much to start PA school the day after I graduate undergrad??

I am so torn and would appreciate any insight and advice.  I committed to a program that I love, that literally starts the day after I graduate undergrad (I'm still a senior in college).  Today I was accepted to a program that starts in August.  I like this program a lot but I am worried because I already put down a down payment on the school I committed to.  If I were to accept the program that starts in August, I will lose my down payment and will also have to put down another down payment on this school.  

I am extremely anxious about starting the day after I graduate undergrad and would prefer to start in August.  Both schools are very similar and they cost the same.  What should I do?? 

I think you've answered your own question. PA school is intense and requires focus and dedication. If taking a few months to recharge and unwind prior to starting will set you up for better success, then paying the deposit for the other school would be in your best interest. If that is your decision, you'll want to let the other school know as soon as possible so that your seat can go to someone else.

Guest HanSolo

I don't think any of us can make that decision for you. Will you be mentally ready to dive in and hit the ground running? Also, it's just a down payment. It happens. Don't make a huge life decision based on a thousand bucks (or whatever it may be). It's a sunk cost of the application process.

I, personally, would take the later start and travel for the summer. 

You will regret not taking time off, in my opinion. If for some reason you absolutely LOVE the program that starts earlier maybe consider asking to defer a year and really take a break.  Just to throw another option into the mix.

Note to others: this is why planning on a gap year is highly advised for a variety of reasons.

I'll echo the sentiments here.  Unless your last year has been pretty restful, this is a recipe for a really bad time.  You need ALL your tools - rest, motivation, etc, to be at their peak when you begin.  

Almost 100% of the battle is eliminating distractions and making it possible to do the work at that pace. 

Archived