Commuting to campus

Hi everyone,

I will be attending the program in 2017. 

I am trying to expand my living options. I have been looking at apartments that are close to the campus and the cost is so high. So I am thinking about saving some money and driving to school. Are there any alumni out there who have chosen this option? If so, was it worthwhile and somewhat convenient?

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I will be attending the program in 2017. 

I am trying to expand my living options. I have been looking at apartments that are close to the campus and the cost is so high. So I am thinking about saving some money and driving to school. Are there any alumni out there who have chosen this option? If so, was it worthwhile and somewhat convenient?

Thank you

Congrats on your acceptance.

There are two garages close by.  The Wood Street garage is across Vine Street from Hahnemann is expensive.  There's also a garage right across 15th Street from the New College Building (where all of your classes will be held).  There are other scattered lots/garages in the area.  Parking availability in each garage is at a premium (as is parking in Center City at any time).  You can expect to pay around $16-20 a day for parking.

Like any major city trying to drive downtown is miserable.  Try to get downtown by car is miserable during the times at which you'll be driving.

Another option for you is to live in the suburbs close to a SEPTA line and take the train into town.  Suburban Station is a short walk from campus.  Rent in the suburbs is cheaper than in Center City (or really anywhere in the city).    Plus you'll save the wear and tear on your car never mind save on the cost of parking every day. 

During the didactic year I sucked it up and lived in Center City.  It was nice being close to school but it was really expensive.  I don't think I would make the same decision again.  For clinical year I lived just north of the city in Montgomery County at a much less expensive cost of living with easy access to school by way of SEPTA.  Again, if I had to do it all over again I would've lived in the county and taken SEPTA in for the duration of school and not just the clinical year.

If you have questions about any of this PM me.  I'll be happy to help.

Archived