I might lose a potential Letter of Recommendation

I currently work as an EMT for a large university's on-campus EMS service and I was planning on asking my boss for a letter this April. One of the reasons why I was hired was because of my supposed time commitment to the job. Employee retention is sometimes a problem so they try to avoid hiring students who will quit/leave early after time and money has already been spent on training them. I really emphasized I would be able to stay on for a good amount of time in my interview and in talking with my boss. Plus, a lot of people are already graduating so they really need people to work. 

However, life plans have changed and I'll be leaving this job at the end of July. I didn't sign any contract but the fact that I'm quitting earlier than I said would may or may not complicate the way she (my boss) views me. I don't want there to be any tension because that may also complicate the quality of the LOR (if she still decides to write one which I think she still will).

My plan now is to just go to her directly and explain my situation/letter of recommendation request. Do ya'll have any recommendations in how I should approach this situation? What I should say?  How do I not mess up this very important conversation?

I appreciate any help. 

I really don't have another LOR lined up if I don't get one from my boss though. And I  honestly think she's reasonable enough to understand my situation and still write one. Plus, I'll be there for about 9 months so it isn't like it's only been a couple weeks. I'll keep your advice in mind 

• Administrator

(shrug) An ideal LOR should be from someone who 1) knows you, 2) is impressed with your work, 3) appreciates your work ethic/motivation/conduct, and 4) has the right letters after their name.  No one gets all their LORs from folks with all four attributes pegged, but the closer the better.

I really don't have another LOR lined up if I don't get one from my boss though. And I  honestly think she's reasonable enough to understand my situation and still write one. Plus, I'll be there for about 9 months so it isn't like it's only been a couple weeks. I'll keep your advice in mind 

You may think she's reasonable but there's always the chance that she won't give you the best LOR.  That's just all there is to it.  No matter what you say to her or how you say it, that chance exists.  If it's your only option, well, there's still a chance.  It's your app, your future, do what you've got to do.

FWIW - it might be worse to have her write a bad LOR than to have someone else write a mediocre one.  Just something to keep in mind.  Not everyone who agrees to write them writes good ones.

Archived