Master of Health Science vs. Master of Physician Assistant Studies

Can anyone tell me how these masters degrees differ as a PA? I noticed that Duke offers a Masters in Health Science and a Physician Assistant Certificate while the other schools I have applied to offer a Masters in Physician Assistant Studies. Does this make any difference as a practicing PA? Is there a real difference? Do hospitals/employers look for one in particular?

Thanks! :smile:

Can anyone tell me how these masters degrees differ as a PA? I noticed that Duke offers a Masters in Health Science and a Physician Assistant Certificate while the other schools I have applied to offer a Masters in Physician Assistant Studies. Does this make any difference as a practicing PA? Is there a real difference? Do hospitals/employers look for one in particular?

Thanks! :smile:

The degrees granted, despite differing names, all have to conform to PAEA and NCCPA guidelines; ours is a competency-based education. You'll find that programs might differ slightly on the details, but all will, for instance, have very clear rules governing the process of remediation when/if a student fails a test, fails a major unit of a course, etc. Having gone to a school that also trained 4-yr MD students, I got to see how much more structured the PA program was; no making up a class later, no studying in the library and skipping lecture, more frequent exams.

I'll admit to being happy I have an MS in "Physician Assistant Practice" rather than "--studies," because to me, that sounds a lot better... but it doesn't really matter.

The degrees granted, despite differing names, all have to conform to PAEA and NCCPA guidelines; ours is a competency-based education. You'll find that programs might differ slightly on the details, but all will, for instance, have very clear rules governing the process of remediation when/if a student fails a test, fails a major unit of a course, etc. Having gone to a school that also trained 4-yr MD students, I got to see how much more structured the PA program was; no making up a class later, no studying in the library and skipping lecture, more frequent exams.

I'll admit to being happy I have an MS in "Physician Assistant Practice" rather than "--studies," because to me, that sounds a lot better... but it doesn't really matter.

Archived