please share your story for my book

Hello everyone,

I'm a practicing PA and am also interested in becoming a writer. I am writing a fictional story of a woman who is a medic in Afghanistan. I was hoping that some people would do me the kindness of sharing a view lines about what it means to be a medical professional in combat in a place like Afghanistan or Iraq. In particular:

1. Who do you report to? Is the military chain of command any different for medical personnel?

2. Are there any women who can comment on how their gender affects their work, ie going into combat situations?

3. While in Iraq or Afghanistan, do you work in shifts and have days off, weekends off, and what do you do on those days off?

4. How freely (if ever) were you able to leave the military base? For example, if you were stationed in a "safer" area?

Thank you so much in advance!

jstuben

Hello everyone,

I'm a practicing PA and am also interested in becoming a writer. I am writing a fictional story of a woman who is a medic in Afghanistan. I was hoping that some people would do me the kindness of sharing a view lines about what it means to be a medical professional in combat in a place like Afghanistan or Iraq. In particular:

1. Who do you report to? Is the military chain of command any different for medical personnel?

2. Are there any women who can comment on how their gender affects their work, ie going into combat situations?

3. While in Iraq or Afghanistan, do you work in shifts and have days off, weekends off, and what do you do on those days off?

4. How freely (if ever) were you able to leave the military base? For example, if you were stationed in a "safer" area?

Thank you so much in advance!

jstuben

I encourage all to share their experiences but remind everyone that OPSEC is still paramount given ongoing operations. Discussion about chain of command, operational details, locations and the like are not appropriate over the internet. Remember wikileaks-gate?

@jstuben:I will pass on your request to a good female PA friend of mine who was in the thick of it for >12 mos as the med det dept head of a PRT. If you don't mind me asking, why are you writing this book? Inspiration?

I encourage all to share their experiences but remind everyone that OPSEC is still paramount given ongoing operations. Discussion about chain of command, operational details, locations and the like are not appropriate over the internet. Remember wikileaks-gate?

@jstuben:I will pass on your request to a good female PA friend of mine who was in the thick of it for >12 mos as the med det dept head of a PRT. If you don't mind me asking, why are you writing this book? Inspiration?

Thanks for the replies. I certainly don't what to leak anything sensitive. I am writing a story as a creative writing assignment. Since I don't know a lot about the military, I don't want to write something unrealistic. For instance, I know that The Hurt Locker was considered a great movie but I have no idea if it was accurate. I am mostly interested in a "day in the life" of someone in active duty in a hostile environment. I don't need to know where you served, details about yourself or your mission or anything like that. I welcome Corpsman and Medic's perspectives.

My story is set on a base in Afghanistan, during a period or (relative) peace. It involves a female medic who creates a friendship with an Afghani woman. Nothing inappropriate, anti-military, or controversial about it.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the replies. I certainly don't what to leak anything sensitive. I am writing a story as a creative writing assignment. Since I don't know a lot about the military, I don't want to write something unrealistic. For instance, I know that The Hurt Locker was considered a great movie but I have no idea if it was accurate. I am mostly interested in a "day in the life" of someone in active duty in a hostile environment. I don't need to know where you served, details about yourself or your mission or anything like that. I welcome Corpsman and Medic's perspectives.

My story is set on a base in Afghanistan, during a period or (relative) peace. It involves a female medic who creates a friendship with an Afghani woman. Nothing inappropriate, anti-military, or controversial about it.

Thanks for your help!

Hello everyone,

Disclaimer: There is no compromise of operational security (OPSEC) in my following comments.

As a Corpsman I reported to multiple chains of command. All chain of commands are available on google, so this is nothing new. It might confuse you...Being with a Marine infantry unit, I was to report to my Marine Sergeants, staff sgts, gunny, etc. Also at the same time, I was accountable to my Navy chain of command (HM1's and Chiefs). We call it the "V". Imagine that the Corpsman is at the bottom of the 'V', and all the crap rolls down hill ;) My chain of command was different from the Marines I was with, because they were accountable only to the Marine side. I could trump the Marine side with anything medical. Imagine a Marine Gunny yelling at you, telling you a Marine is being weak and needs to suck it up, is malingering, faking, etc..but you evac him anyway for an emergency appendectomy. You gotta have backbone. I also used it to my benefit..."Hey doc, we have some post-deployment mental health classes to go to"....Me: "oh man...I have to be at the BAS (battalion aid station) for some Navy medical training. Can't make it." ;)

N/A...in my 6 years I never once served with a woman. They are currently not allowed in infantry roles. There is a program you might want to look up called the "Marine Lioness Program." Its an all female unit aimed at relations with local afghan/iraqi women. Worth a look into for your book.

Lol days off...I was in Iraq and it went like this: As 1 of 2 Corpsman for my platoon of 45, we had to do every patrol. That usually meant 3-5/ day at any and all hours. On our "off day" meaning no patrols, we were QRF (quick reaction force) for the patrols that needed help, or to secure an area while we waited 6 hours for EOD to show up. While not on QRF, we tried to sleep (on haji mats, no cots), work out in our make-shift gym, and smoke and joke or watch dvds on our comps. Games such as throwing rocks at hesco barrier squares became quite fun. As a corspman, We kept open a little room for sick call, first aid, small combat life-saver refresher skills, etc. Anything beyond our scope we would send up to the main base about 2 miles outside the town (since ours was embedded in the heart of town). There they could see a Doc or PA for higher treatment (and boy were they busy!). About once a week, our doc and chaplain would make rounds to the different out-posts.

Never. Ever, EVER where you allowed to leave "freely". While on patrol we would stop at houses and have some chai tea and lamb, but thats about it. You get to know the locals and buy some chocolate or bananas off them. We were lucky to be right on the Euphrates where agriculture was more vibrant. On occasion we would do some first aid for families, since medical care was non-existent for them. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile though! I guess you can't blame them for that...

Hope that helps....

Hello everyone,

Disclaimer: There is no compromise of operational security (OPSEC) in my following comments.

As a Corpsman I reported to multiple chains of command. All chain of commands are available on google, so this is nothing new. It might confuse you...Being with a Marine infantry unit, I was to report to my Marine Sergeants, staff sgts, gunny, etc. Also at the same time, I was accountable to my Navy chain of command (HM1's and Chiefs). We call it the "V". Imagine that the Corpsman is at the bottom of the 'V', and all the crap rolls down hill ;) My chain of command was different from the Marines I was with, because they were accountable only to the Marine side. I could trump the Marine side with anything medical. Imagine a Marine Gunny yelling at you, telling you a Marine is being weak and needs to suck it up, is malingering, faking, etc..but you evac him anyway for an emergency appendectomy. You gotta have backbone. I also used it to my benefit..."Hey doc, we have some post-deployment mental health classes to go to"....Me: "oh man...I have to be at the BAS (battalion aid station) for some Navy medical training. Can't make it." ;)

N/A...in my 6 years I never once served with a woman. They are currently not allowed in infantry roles. There is a program you might want to look up called the "Marine Lioness Program." Its an all female unit aimed at relations with local afghan/iraqi women. Worth a look into for your book.

Lol days off...I was in Iraq and it went like this: As 1 of 2 Corpsman for my platoon of 45, we had to do every patrol. That usually meant 3-5/ day at any and all hours. On our "off day" meaning no patrols, we were QRF (quick reaction force) for the patrols that needed help, or to secure an area while we waited 6 hours for EOD to show up. While not on QRF, we tried to sleep (on haji mats, no cots), work out in our make-shift gym, and smoke and joke or watch dvds on our comps. Games such as throwing rocks at hesco barrier squares became quite fun. As a corspman, We kept open a little room for sick call, first aid, small combat life-saver refresher skills, etc. Anything beyond our scope we would send up to the main base about 2 miles outside the town (since ours was embedded in the heart of town). There they could see a Doc or PA for higher treatment (and boy were they busy!). About once a week, our doc and chaplain would make rounds to the different out-posts.

Never. Ever, EVER where you allowed to leave "freely". While on patrol we would stop at houses and have some chai tea and lamb, but thats about it. You get to know the locals and buy some chocolate or bananas off them. We were lucky to be right on the Euphrates where agriculture was more vibrant. On occasion we would do some first aid for families, since medical care was non-existent for them. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile though! I guess you can't blame them for that...

Hope that helps....

Archived