filling out housing, parent info on FAFSA

I am filling out FAFSA now and the form suggested that, even if I an independent (45 in this case) I may want to include parental info if I am applying to the medical field...Does anyone know why/Is it worth the effort?

Also, I have to choose a housing option. At least one of the schools has on-campus housing...Will this affect my loan amount and/or scholarship from the school?

Thanks

Skip the parent section. You don't need to put it as an independent student. 

Living on campus as a graduate is usually really limited. If you are planning on living off campus, put off campus. It might affect your loan amount as in Cost of Attendance. The school figures out how much you need to live off of. It could affect your loan amount if say living on campus is cheaper than living off campus or vise versa, but if you need an adjustments then the financial aid dept can make those adjustments. 

• 3 weeks later...

I called FAFSA about the parent thing wanting to know why that was relevant if we're independent students and if it factored into eligibility; I didn't get the answer I was seeking. My parents make decent salaries and advised me to just not fill that part out since they won't be contributing anyway and they don't want to hurt my chances of being eligible for aid if those questions are even a determining factor.

Archived