How did GWU compare to the other schools you interviewed at?

Hey all!

I just got accepted in GWU and I'm trying to narrow down my list of schools. Could you guys describe your experiences with other schools you interviewed at and why you preferred GWU over them? I have interviews left at Duke, Drexel, Western, and Nova Southeastern. I'll probably cancel Western and Nova interviews. Both are great location wise...I'm from California and love the sun!...but they just didn't seem like they had as much to offer as GWU does.

Anyone interview at Duke or Drexel and can shed some light? =D

I also interviewed at Rush, Midwestern, and Northwestern. I haven't heard back from any of them but I'm withdrawing from Rush bc it's a long program (GWU is 3yrs also but i get two degrees). Midwestern I wasn't a huge fan of but I loved the small class size, amazing facilities, PBL lectures, and program director of Northwestern.

Thanks so much, this is such a big decision for me and I really appreciate all the info I've gotten from this forum. I dont know anyone else who is applying to PA programs so this really is my only resource! =P

Hey all!

I just got accepted in GWU and I'm trying to narrow down my list of schools. Could you guys describe your experiences with other schools you interviewed at and why you preferred GWU over them? I have interviews left at Duke, Drexel, Western, and Nova Southeastern. I'll probably cancel Western and Nova interviews. Both are great location wise...I'm from California and love the sun!...but they just didn't seem like they had as much to offer as GWU does.

I also interviewed at Rush, Midwestern, and Northwestern. I haven't heard back from any of them but I'm withdrawing from Rush bc it's a long program (GWU is 3yrs also but i get two degrees). Midwestern I wasn't a huge fan of but I loved the small class size, amazing facilities, PBL lectures, and program director of Northwestern.

Thanks so much, this is such a big decision for me and I really appreciate all the info I've gotten from this forum. I dont know anyone else who is applying to PA programs so this really is my only resource! =P

Hey all!

I ended up getting into both Duke and GWU, I chose Duke. A few reasons I liked Duke better: brand new facilities, more intimate interview setting, didn't want to worry about the recent program director debacle, but most importantly because of how much cheaper Duke was because of cost of living. If I was single GWU would have looked a lot more appealing, but with a wife and children, Duke seemed much more family friendly. Anyways, congrats on your acceptance and I'm sure you will not regret where you go because you have already gotten into a great program!

Hey all!

I ended up getting into both Duke and GWU, I chose Duke. A few reasons I liked Duke better: brand new facilities, more intimate interview setting, didn't want to worry about the recent program director debacle, but most importantly because of how much cheaper Duke was because of cost of living. If I was single GWU would have looked a lot more appealing, but with a wife and children, Duke seemed much more family friendly. Anyways, congrats on your acceptance and I'm sure you will not regret where you go because you have already gotten into a great program!

but most importantly because of how much cheaper Duke was because of cost of living.

Also, the tuition itself is about 20k less at Duke.

When I interviewed at GWU I didn't feel anyone, student or staff, could answer how spending the extra 20-30k (in tuition alone.. another 10-20k in living costs most likely) over my other options was going to make me a better PA. The best anyone could say was literally "your paying for the name" (which doesn't mean that much as a clinician). I also got the feeling the the PAs kinda got lost in the mess. The 60 person size interview and the comments many current students made gave me this impression. The program director issue and the fact a whole class was not taught confirmed my suspicions for me.

I ended up waitlisted at GWU, and if it was the only school I had got into I would have certainly gone, and likely would gotten a good education. That said, you should go to your Duke interview (and maybe the others, but Duke is the only one on that list I interviewed with). Every school I went to had some aspect I really loved, but Duke seemed to have all of those things balled into one program. Great rotation options (including international rotations) like Pacific (but without having to travel for 50% of your rotations... I am married so the prospect was less than ideal. Also duke has housing paid for and available to use for "away" rotations like OHSU does ), well respected/recognized "the name" and highly challenging didactic with direct attachment to a major medical system and world class med program like OHSU/GWU, dissection anatomy like Salus. Also the AWESOME new facilities/campus. I much prefer the medium size city (both raliegh and durham) over philly and DC. It was also one of my cheaper options since I got no interviews at my in-state options. Only Salus was less.... but cost of living may make it a wash anyways.

Oh btw congrats bobsquit3! We were wondering if anyone else from the 10th interview got in. Have you added on to the 2014 facebook page?

but most importantly because of how much cheaper Duke was because of cost of living.

Also, the tuition itself is about 20k less at Duke.

When I interviewed at GWU I didn't feel anyone, student or staff, could answer how spending the extra 20-30k (in tuition alone.. another 10-20k in living costs most likely) over my other options was going to make me a better PA. The best anyone could say was literally "your paying for the name" (which doesn't mean that much as a clinician). I also got the feeling the the PAs kinda got lost in the mess. The 60 person size interview and the comments many current students made gave me this impression. The program director issue and the fact a whole class was not taught confirmed my suspicions for me.

I ended up waitlisted at GWU, and if it was the only school I had got into I would have certainly gone, and likely would gotten a good education. That said, you should go to your Duke interview (and maybe the others, but Duke is the only one on that list I interviewed with). Every school I went to had some aspect I really loved, but Duke seemed to have all of those things balled into one program. Great rotation options (including international rotations) like Pacific (but without having to travel for 50% of your rotations... I am married so the prospect was less than ideal. Also duke has housing paid for and available to use for "away" rotations like OHSU does ), well respected/recognized "the name" and highly challenging didactic with direct attachment to a major medical system and world class med program like OHSU/GWU, dissection anatomy like Salus. Also the AWESOME new facilities/campus. I much prefer the medium size city (both raliegh and durham) over philly and DC. It was also one of my cheaper options since I got no interviews at my in-state options. Only Salus was less.... but cost of living may make it a wash anyways.

Oh btw congrats bobsquit3! We were wondering if anyone else from the 10th interview got in. Have you added on to the 2014 facebook page?

Archived