Attrition rate and anatomy class

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have any insight into the "issue" of students that end up dropping out of the program (but in some cases returning the next year) due to failing anatomy?  I've heard that each year, a substantial number of students fail out; one student currently on rotations told me that they lost 18 students in her class.  This is a bit frightening to me.  She did say that they planned some kind of changes this year, but didn't know any specifics.  Anyone have thoughts?

Hi Lyrical M,

This is a rumor that has been plaguing the program for years now. Even current students get these numbers wrong because we start with so many people that when students don't see classmates finish the quarter, they assume it's due to failing out of Anatomy. What instead happens is that some students decide to withdraw from the program due to personal reasons, or if they're really concerned about failing a class, or some don't pass anatomy or clinical assessment and just come back to repeat that course the following year before moving on in the program. This strategy prevents students from moving on when they're not ready. This is a national standard for many programs. Having said that, it is important to understand that STUDENTS DO NOT FAIL OUT OF THE PROGRAM. A student who fails a class may choose to come back the following year or may choose to leave the program entirely. A student has 5 years to complete the program if needed. Because students don't always share why they left the program (either during or after a quarter) others often assume that those students "failed out" - this just doesn't happen. I guarantee that 18 students failing out is untrue and if you still have concerns I suggest you speak with the faculty.

• Like 1

I can look into that because I don't have that information.  What I can tell you is that Drexel takes evaluations seriously and the faculty do their best to improve each course in response to students' feedback at the end of each quarter. Is there a specific change you're hoping to hear about? 

Nothing in particular since I don't know much about the format, materials/resources, or the lectures.  I just heard from a few different students who've rotated where I work that "They're making a lot of changes to anatomy this year and next year."

Lyrical,

I think bd91 might be misleading  you a bit.  The Class 2018 had around 10 people (if not more) not pass in anatomy in the fall.  The class of 2019 had 9 to 10 not pass anatomy in the fall.  Now bd91 should know that because, my guess is, he/ she is in one, if not both of these classes at one time or the other.  Therefore he/she should have seen students who failed join the class.  Now bd91 is right about "some people withdrawing due to personal reasons, but its maybe 4. students at at the most.  But I'm not counting those people.  There are at least 10 or more students every year who do not pass anatomy.   

Now ocacsionally a student might not pass the other tough classes (clinical Assesment) in the fall, but that was probably due to all the time spent studying anatomy (sorry a little opinion there).  However, some actually fail both (Factually true statement).  Now, they do get to come back the following year and retake anatomy, and they don't have to repeat any of the classes they pass in the fall either.  However, if you fail 2 fall quarters in a row then you will be removed from the program. 

Now the anatomy class failure rate is probably high due to a combination of things.  First, the anatomy class is at a very fast pace with about 2 semesters of material (quarters at Drexel) in 11 weeks.  Second, the depth that it is taught is very detailed not easy to memorize.  Now, I personally am in favor of this, but this is really tough to do in 11 weeks.  Third, the way it's tested and taught were tough obstacles for most nontraditional and some traditional students to get over.  

Now its not all Drexel's doing.  Some students who struggle at Drexel in the fall are the ones who can't manage their time, don't hit the ground running, have weak science (anatomy) backgrounds, or come with families/ nontraditional students (i.e. had careers prior to).

The students who seem to do well in the FALL in anatomy are the Drexel students or student with strong science and anatomy backgrounds.  

There are some good things about Drexel as well, and if you want to know them, ask and I'll share them.  

Edited by nonamesplease
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/16/2018 at 8:46 PM, nonamesplease said:

Lyrical,

I think bd91 might be misleading  you a bit.  The Class 2018 had around 10 people (if not more) not pass in anatomy in the fall.  The class of 2019 had 9 to 10 not pass anatomy in the fall.  Now bd91 should know that because, my guess is, he/ she is in one, if not both of these classes at one time or the other.  Therefore he/she should have seen students who failed join the class.  Now bd91 is right about "some people withdrawing due to personal reasons, but its maybe 4. students at at the most.  But I'm not counting those people.  There are at least 10 or more students every year who do not pass anatomy.   

Now ocacsionally a student might not pass the other tough classes (clinical Assesment) in the fall, but that was probably due to all the time spent studying anatomy (sorry a little opinion there).  However, some actually fail both (Factually true statement).  Now, they do get to come back the following year and retake anatomy, and they don't have to repeat any of the classes they pass in the fall either.  However, if you fail 2 fall quarters in a row then you will be removed from the program. 

Now the anatomy class failure rate is probably high due to a combination of things.  First, the anatomy class is at a very fast pace with about 2 semesters of material (quarters at Drexel) in 11 weeks.  Second, the depth that it is taught is very detailed not easy to memorize.  Now, I personally am in favor of this, but this is really tough to do in 11 weeks.  Third, the way it's tested and taught were tough obstacles for most nontraditional and some traditional students to get over.  

Now its not all Drexel's doing.  Some students who struggle at Drexel in the fall are the ones who can't manage their time, don't hit the ground running, have weak science (anatomy) backgrounds, or come with families/ nontraditional students (i.e. had careers prior to).

The students who seem to do well in the FALL in anatomy are the Drexel students or student with strong science and anatomy backgrounds.  

There are some good things about Drexel as well, and if you want to know them, ask and I'll share them.  

I am very concerned about anatomy. Do they offer any resources for help.

Can you also tell me more about the “adult learning theory model” utilized my Drexel. In undergrad I took a “flipped format” style class and am worried it is similar.