Feedback on Low GPA Application Would be Appreciated

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. As the topic title suggests, I would like some feedback regarding my upcoming application.

I graduated from Brown University in 2007 with a degree in Biology. I was not a good student during this time and was unfocused. In fact, I was placed on academic suspension and was readmitted a year later to complete my degree (which of course I did). I am an entirely different person now from the academic perspective, which I have proven over the past 4 years. I received my Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration in 2015 with a 4.0 GPA while working 40 hours/week. I transitioned to healthcare two years ago (and effectively elaborated on this change in my personal essay). I have almost 7,000 hours as a full-time EMT and have been taking prerequisite courses during the last two years to increase my GPA and to prove that I can successfully handle a rigorous schedule (72 hours/week of work as well as taking classes). I have received a 4.0 through 8 prerequisite classes.

Currently, CASPA has me at:

Overall GPA 3.3

Science GPA 3.05

Graduate GPA 4.0

Post Baccalaureate GPA 4.0

Shadow hours 30

Volunteer hours 50

HCE 7,500 by time of application

Obviously my poor performance in my undergraduate experience is devastating. My question is, will that damage be mitigated considering it was over the course of 10-15 years ago, and given the tremendous upswing since?

Thank you so much for your time, and have a great day!

Hello! Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. As the topic title suggests, I would like some feedback regarding my upcoming application.

I graduated from Brown University in 2007 with a degree in Biology. I was not a good student during this time and was unfocused. In fact, I was placed on academic suspension and was readmitted a year later to complete my degree (which of course I did). I am an entirely different person now from the academic perspective, which I have proven over the past 4 years. I received my Master's Degree in Higher Education Administration in 2015 with a 4.0 GPA while working 40 hours/week. I transitioned to healthcare two years ago (and effectively elaborated on this change in my personal essay). I have almost 7,000 hours as a full-time EMT and have been taking prerequisite courses during the last two years to increase my GPA and to prove that I can successfully handle a rigorous schedule (72 hours/week of work as well as taking classes). I have received a 4.0 through 8 prerequisite classes.

Currently, CASPA has me at:

Overall GPA 3.3

Science GPA 3.05

Graduate GPA 4.0

Post Baccalaureate GPA 4.0

Shadow hours 30

Volunteer hours 50

HCE 7,500 by time of application

Obviously my poor performance in my undergraduate experience is devastating. My question is, will that damage be mitigated considering it was over the course of 10-15 years ago, and given the tremendous upswing since?

Thank you so much for your time, and have a great day!

You lookin good. See what exactly your CASPA GPA is like. You will be pleasantly surprised. Schools look at CASPA GPA in the end. That is the whole point of them using it. Now go forth and have confidence in your growth achievements. What the other replies said is also important. Any time there is an upward trend, they like that. One final thing, even if they ask about it in interview, turn it in an opportunity to emphasize your growth, how you have dealt with failures, how you used it to challenge yourself, etc. Create a grounded, positive, inspiring and believable narrative around that, start selling it to others and to your self until you believe it, that way, they will believe it!!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Archived