should I attend a third-string interview invitation?

I have two interviews next week, but based upon forum discussions I can tell this is the last round of interviews. They are right after another and in completely different cities so the travel required and work missed will be costly. Given that I'm kind of at the bottom of the list is there much of a chance of being accepted?

I know I should jump at every chance but these are surprise invitations, and I had kind of written off this cycle as a dud; I'll really have to pull myself out of the dumps to impress. *tear in my beer* lol

Thanks

The first time I applied, I was offered an interview in late May and the program started a couple months later. I had gotten my plane ticket and hotel, but a couple days before I was set to leave, they emailed me saying that their seats were filled and I would more than likely be waitlisted. I had quite a few outstanding prereqs, no HCE and no shadowing hours. So I declined the interview and I don't regret it.

If you're ok with missing work, then I would recommend going. Even if you don't get accepted, it'll be good experience and maybe you'll get some feedback in case you were to reapply and have an interview early on in the cycle. If seats are not filled and your stats are competitive, then who knows, you might get accepted.

I know that at some of the programs I applied to, the admissions weren't rolling so the timing of the interview didn't correlate with chances of getting accepted. How do you know that these interviews mean "bottom-of-the-list?" Also, why the heck would you pass up ANY interviews if you haven't gotten any this cycle (I'm making this assumption based on your calling this a "dud cycle").

DO. IT.

Agree with the above. One could make the argument those interviewed last stand a strong chance to get in (think best for last).

Also, you must have known the locations of the interviews prior to being invited and the costs associated with travel there.

Don't sell yourself short, if you got an interview you are being considered for admission. My advice: go for it!

A word of caution:  just because you get an interview does NOT mean there are open slots in the cohort for admission.  There are multiple schools that continue to interview for their wait list.  Now, this does mean that they feel compelled to fill their wait list based on past history of pulling from it to fill their cohort after people subsequently decline their accepted seat, but it's frequently highly variable the degree to which that occurs.  In my experience, if you ask, they will tell you approximately how many slots they still need to fill (or whether they are interviewing for their wait list); they may be a bit cagey, but press for a definitive response.  Remember that you are interviewing them as well as being interviewed.  

Agree that the interview experience can be valuable regardless, but yes, you do have to weigh chances of admission and the value of the experience against the cost to participate (travel, lodging, lost wages, etc.) and make your decision.  

I've noticed that schools vary in how they interview and give out seats. Some are truly rolling and give out seats to the earliest applicants. Others pick a few at each interview, reject a few, and then reevaluate all other interviewees at the end. Others save some spots per interview. If it's the last two, then you have a chance. I recommend that you go if you haven't received any other interviews. 

Archived