Having trouble finding people to shadow.

Guest carolanimal

Guest carolanimal

I'm really having trouble finding any PA's that will allow me to shadow them. Unfortunately, the PA's at my workplace have been very aloof and unfriendly and it's been the nurse practitioners who have even offered to let me shadow. I have only about 12 hours of shadowing from about two years ago. I'm getting frustrated that I have been unable to make any sort of relationship with PA's whereas with the other medical practitioners it has been more than easy. I joined the pre-PA association for my state and I have yet to hear any response. I have called and emailed clinics and they cite HIPPA. I put a post on here a little while ago- nothing. I don't know what to do.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.044110,-96.828198

Guest carolanimal

I'm really having trouble finding any PA's that will allow me to shadow them. Unfortunately, the PA's at my workplace have been very aloof and unfriendly and it's been the nurse practitioners who have even offered to let me shadow. I have only about 12 hours of shadowing from about two years ago. I'm getting frustrated that I have been unable to make any sort of relationship with PA's whereas with the other medical practitioners it has been more than easy. I joined the pre-PA association for my state and I have yet to hear any response. I have called and emailed clinics and they cite HIPPA. I put a post on here a little while ago- nothing. I don't know what to do.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.044110,-96.828198

Carolanimal- That is frustrating. Broaden your scope. I would start by joining your local PA society. There should be a state society that is part of AAPA. And perhaps a group specific to North Texas. Also, you can join AAPA as a student. But go find this local society. You can attend their meetings, go to their educational seminars and network there and via their web site--this can all be done as a pre-PA student (I have done so).

Then I would network some more. Ask all of your friends who their PA is or do they know one? Then call or email them and make a request. Also, check to see if what ever college you went to has any alumni who are PAs. You could appeal to them as a fellow alum.

Also, there is a national PA shadowing network site. www.pashadowonline.com

Give it a try.

I moved to a new city (Buffalo, NY) from Louisiana a few months ago and didn't know a soul here. No contacts. Whereas back home, I had quite a few healthcare connections to call on. And I started from scratch with the above options. It worked for me and I found several very helpful PAs to shadow.

Good luck! Don't give up!

Carolanimal- That is frustrating. Broaden your scope. I would start by joining your local PA society. There should be a state society that is part of AAPA. And perhaps a group specific to North Texas. Also, you can join AAPA as a student. But go find this local society. You can attend their meetings, go to their educational seminars and network there and via their web site--this can all be done as a pre-PA student (I have done so).

Then I would network some more. Ask all of your friends who their PA is or do they know one? Then call or email them and make a request. Also, check to see if what ever college you went to has any alumni who are PAs. You could appeal to them as a fellow alum.

Also, there is a national PA shadowing network site. www.pashadowonline.com

Give it a try.

I moved to a new city (Buffalo, NY) from Louisiana a few months ago and didn't know a soul here. No contacts. Whereas back home, I had quite a few healthcare connections to call on. And I started from scratch with the above options. It worked for me and I found several very helpful PAs to shadow.

Good luck! Don't give up!

Google your city for PA organizations. Find all nearby ones. Each should have a "leader", send them a paragraph about yourself and that you're looking to shadow it. They send it to all PAs in their chapter. I had to send it to 4-5 lists about 3 times and finally got 1 PA to shadow, however he let me shadow him for 35 hours and gave me a LOR. Just keep pushing forward, the most important thing is not to give up. But yes it is frustrating.

Google your city for PA organizations. Find all nearby ones. Each should have a "leader", send them a paragraph about yourself and that you're looking to shadow it. They send it to all PAs in their chapter. I had to send it to 4-5 lists about 3 times and finally got 1 PA to shadow, however he let me shadow him for 35 hours and gave me a LOR. Just keep pushing forward, the most important thing is not to give up. But yes it is frustrating.

the best way to be around pa's is to work around them. get an entry level job at a place that utilizes pa's. that's how most of us "older pa's" learned about the profession in the first place. you need thew hce anyway so focus on getting that emt or cna cert then get a job in health care.

the best way to be around pa's is to work around them. get an entry level job at a place that utilizes pa's. that's how most of us "older pa's" learned about the profession in the first place. you need thew hce anyway so focus on getting that emt or cna cert then get a job in health care.

Guest carolanimal

I actually do work "around" three PA's at work. However, they are all very aloof and seem to not want to talk to me. I actually did approach one- she's the PA for one of the neurosurgeons. I won't go into the details but she basically presented PA's in an awful way. I try to be friendly to her in the hallways and she basically won't even look at me. It's incredibly frustrating because I have a great relationship with the pulmonologists and with other doctors in the ICU and with one on the nurse practioners of the liver team, but the PA's just seem to follow the doctors around and don't seem to build any rapport with anyone. I've noticed that it's not just me that this aloof and awkward behavior it's directed to.

Guest carolanimal

I actually do work "around" three PA's at work. However, they are all very aloof and seem to not want to talk to me. I actually did approach one- she's the PA for one of the neurosurgeons. I won't go into the details but she basically presented PA's in an awful way. I try to be friendly to her in the hallways and she basically won't even look at me. It's incredibly frustrating because I have a great relationship with the pulmonologists and with other doctors in the ICU and with one on the nurse practioners of the liver team, but the PA's just seem to follow the doctors around and don't seem to build any rapport with anyone. I've noticed that it's not just me that this aloof and awkward behavior it's directed to.

Neither of the PAs in my area on the PA shadow website have dates that are available. So annoyed right now.

Try emailing them.

I actually do work "around" three PA's at work.

Shadowing isn't a must to get into PA school. Some programs do require a minimum amount but most do not. It is good enough if you work around/with PAs and understand the PA role in medicine.

Neither of the PAs in my area on the PA shadow website have dates that are available. So annoyed right now.

Try emailing them.

I actually do work "around" three PA's at work.

Shadowing isn't a must to get into PA school. Some programs do require a minimum amount but most do not. It is good enough if you work around/with PAs and understand the PA role in medicine.

Archived