Hello there,

I am a non-traditional student aspiring to get into the SMU PA program. I'm currently an EMT in Oakland and taking my prereqs at CSUEB. I have a little over 1,000 hours HCE. My GPA is not stellar however the latest 60 units of hardcore science curriculum I have maintained a 3.7 GPA in my Microbiology/ Biomedical Laboratory Science major. 

I am reaching out to the people who have already gotten accepted to please chime in and tell us some of your achievements leading up to your acceptance into the program. Any help would be truly extraordinary in helping me to hone in on what I need to improve as an applicant and as an individual. Any advice is welcomed and truly appreciated. 

-Best,

Humble Student 

I don't know if you had it or not but if you do not, volunteer time and PA shadowing/experience time, they want 50 hours worth minimum. Besides that everything looks like its going good, just get as much HCE as you can and keep up the good grades. Also, as Pa applications increase it is definitely going to get more competitive year to year, so I would suggest to plan for a war of attrition and write the best personal statement you can. Sorry dont know if this helps I literally jus got into this program and have similar states. The only thing that I think that got me the interview was having 13 years of experience. 

Anyway good luck and I hope this helps

Keep trying to advance in your job. I was an EMT for AMR AlCo too, and I think having an FTO position, and Alt. Sup leadership among my years of experience is what really set me apart from other applicants in my interview group. EMT hours are great because they add up fast, I applied with over 10k!

My early grades in college were terrible, but so long as you are showing consistent improvement, that is what they are wanting to see. Also making sure you are able to handle a solid course load is going to go a long way, but be sure not to over load yourself until you know you've got it figured out. College is just a game of balance and skill, once you know how to work it, you can illusion 18 units worth of classes into a very small amount of actual work. 

They will ask about your college transcripts at interviews, so just be sure if you have to take a W (I've had two, one was in Physio) that they are thought out and well reasoned. They want to see that your choices are logical and well planned, not impulsive. Think ahead, but accept that life happens though, and show you can work around and through it. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By syd3333
      Just wanted some advice. Does anyone have insight to on how different types of PCE are classified? Is having 1000 hours of being a PT aide equal to 500 patient care technician? I guess there is no right and wrong answer, just wanted to see some opinions! Thanks guys!
    • By mmjpa
      I am looking for online or in person (not hopeful for this at the moment) shadowing opportunities in the La Crosse area. Anywhere in Wisconsin would be amazing as well. 
    • By gavnj
      I feel like I'm seeing more and more current college students and recent grads on here, knowing that they want to pursue PA right out of the gate (which is awesome!)
      I'm curious what the breakdown is of pre-PA folks here who are pursuing a career pivot to PA vs those who are pursuing PA as their first career (or whose PCE/HCE job was chosen specifically to meet PA school requirements)? 
      (I've been a certified athletic trainer for 7 years and have had my sights set on PA for about 4 years --  had to spruce up the ol' GPA prior to applying -- this year is my first application cycle! I've absolutely loved being and ATC, and plan to keep my certification active as a PA, but have reached the point where I really want to be able to do more for my patients. I know, cliche... but true.)
    • By EMT0409
      Hello everyone, 
      starting a thread for the new Canisius College PA program. I am currently applying to the program and wondering if anyone has heard about the program overall, or professors/admin. Anyone else applying and nervous about the provisional accreditation? Hoping this program turns out well! Starts January 2021. 
    • By emrose4242
      Hi! I was recently accepted into a program that I didn't think I would be too fond of, but I ended up falling in love with the program! I am interviewing at my original top choice on the 13th, and I have been having a hard time deciding what school I would choose if I were to get in to this other program as well. I would love to hear what current students think. School A (the one I have already been accepted to) is a 1 hour commute, ( I can't afford to move or get an apartment, I am lucky enough to live with my boyfriend who pays the mortgage). This is the biggest downside to this school. I don't know how commuting an hour both ways, 5 days a week, will work with the course load. School B is a 30 minute commute. School A is also about $15,000 more expensive. The reason I justify price is that this program is 28 months, which is 4 months longer than school B (where I am interviewing on the 13th). I love that the clinical rotations are 5 weeks, instead of 4 at school B. There are also 2 elective clinical sites and school A, as opposed to only 1 at school B. They are both very new programs so they're pretty comparable when it comes to everything else that I've looked into!

So my questions are:
      1. If you have a long commute to your PA program, do you regret it/how do you like it?
      2. Will 1 additional week in each clinical site and 1 additional elective make a difference/ is it worth the $15,000 additional?
      3. Will I get to the 24 month point at school A and wish that I went to school B so that I could be finished already?
      Thank you so much for any input you all can provide!!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More