Hello there,

I am a non-traditional student aspiring to get into the SMU PA program. I'm currently an EMT in Oakland and taking my prereqs at CSUEB. I have a little over 1,000 hours HCE. My GPA is not stellar however the latest 60 units of hardcore science curriculum I have maintained a 3.7 GPA in my Microbiology/ Biomedical Laboratory Science major. 

I am reaching out to the people who have already gotten accepted to please chime in and tell us some of your achievements leading up to your acceptance into the program. Any help would be truly extraordinary in helping me to hone in on what I need to improve as an applicant and as an individual. Any advice is welcomed and truly appreciated. 

-Best,

Humble Student 

I don't know if you had it or not but if you do not, volunteer time and PA shadowing/experience time, they want 50 hours worth minimum. Besides that everything looks like its going good, just get as much HCE as you can and keep up the good grades. Also, as Pa applications increase it is definitely going to get more competitive year to year, so I would suggest to plan for a war of attrition and write the best personal statement you can. Sorry dont know if this helps I literally jus got into this program and have similar states. The only thing that I think that got me the interview was having 13 years of experience. 

Anyway good luck and I hope this helps

Keep trying to advance in your job. I was an EMT for AMR AlCo too, and I think having an FTO position, and Alt. Sup leadership among my years of experience is what really set me apart from other applicants in my interview group. EMT hours are great because they add up fast, I applied with over 10k!

My early grades in college were terrible, but so long as you are showing consistent improvement, that is what they are wanting to see. Also making sure you are able to handle a solid course load is going to go a long way, but be sure not to over load yourself until you know you've got it figured out. College is just a game of balance and skill, once you know how to work it, you can illusion 18 units worth of classes into a very small amount of actual work. 

They will ask about your college transcripts at interviews, so just be sure if you have to take a W (I've had two, one was in Physio) that they are thought out and well reasoned. They want to see that your choices are logical and well planned, not impulsive. Think ahead, but accept that life happens though, and show you can work around and through it. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Laybunny
      Hello all, I had a quick question regarding who I should ask LORs from.
      I have one from a science prof, and one from a PA I shadowed. My last one was going to be from a pharmacist that I did a year long internship under, and that I've known for about three years now.
      However, I have also been working as a CNA for about 6 months, and there are a few LVNs I could possibly ask, or even an RN (though I spend way more time with the LVNs, and they'd probably write me a better letter)
      Is it fine to stick to my gut and use the letter from the pharmacist, or would schools prefer to see a letter from someone in nursing? A lot recommend from "someone in the medical field" but I didnt know if the title mattered so much in that (PharmD vs. LVN) and I also wasnt sure if theyd prefer a paid experience or if an internship experience was okay.
      As a side note, the pharmacist is also an assistant professor at one of the schools I will be applying to. So that may make a difference as well.
      Thanks for your help!! 🙂
    • By Codes
      Hi,
      I was fortunate to shadow one PA who was amazing, it was family medicine in a clinic 9-5 type of gig. She was very nice and transparent. In all honesty, there were parts of the job I did not feel were all that great for example, majority of the patient experience was amazing.
      Things that I wasn't sure about:
      Seemed like a good amount of computer work between patient's - one of the reason's I am pre-PA is to try to not be locked to a computer so much. The area was rough and there were some homeless patient's etc. so that was sort of eye opening and I noticed to be an effective PA you need to truly touch and be very close to all types of people. In particular the homeless person with an infected hand and the woman coughing all over everything was something I was a little taken back with initially. Overall, I loved the patient interactions and feel if I were the actual PA it would be that much more fun to troubleshoot and problem solve. I have another shadow opportunity in a completely different specialization (neurology) which I am very excited about. My main questions were:
      Did you know right away after Shadowing, PA was the right fit for you? 100%? Or did it take a few settings and time to find out where you envisioned your dream specialization. Is it realistic to think I could eventually become a PA and get away from more of the 9-5 office setting? Something more fast paced and maybe shift work? I believe the area where the clinic was located (in the ghetto) and demographic sort of played into the experience, is that a tale tell sign I could be wrong for the profession? Please be as honest as possible as I am considering a career shift and I can handle the truth. I am trying to approach the situation as realistic as possible but there are still many "blind spots" as I have only shadowed one PA thus far.
      Thank you very much in advance!!
    • By lynn1862
      Hey guys! I'm 24 and have recently been accepted into a PA program, but I keep having second thoughts.
      My whole life I have been interested in medicine and health care. However, I am also a more quiet/introverted/awkward person and deal with social anxiety at times. For patient care hours this past year I became a phlebotomist. Although I loved learning about blood drawing and enjoyed the hands on aspect of it, the actual job itself was very draining for me. I worked at a very busy lab that saw over a 100 patients a day. Having to interact with so many patients left me feeling exhausted once I clocked out. I guess sometimes I wonder if I am making the right choice for myself career wise.
      I have shadowed many PAs and enjoyed those experiences, but I know shadowing and actually doing it are two different things. I also shadowed a Pathology Assistant, thinking that may be a better fit for me, but found it slightly repetitive and actually a little too isolating. 
      I was wondering if anyone else had similar worries once upon a time? If there are specialties more geared towards introvert/quiet people? Or ones that see a lower volume of patients? Or maybe this isn't the best path for me? 
    • By chandlerjonesuga
      Hey, I'm just rolling through to see if I can help expand your studying database.  Check out this post of various resources you can utilize to help you ACE the EOR exams, and eventually the PANCE!!!  I hope this helps... The final link is to my personal study guides, yes I know I do the most!
      https://randomjournalposts.blogspot.com/2020/02/how-to-study-in-pa-school.html

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More