Does It Matter Which PA School You Attend?

Not as far as I know.  The only thing I have heard of that may make sense is one of their own local graduates or someone local.  Pretty sure I got one interview solely based on the address on my resume.  I had far more qualified friends out of the area apply and were not interviewed.  

Grades and references?  Yep.  To varying degrees, but for sure.  You can sometimes tell right from the website.  I would follow up at that point, but I passed on a couple that made it pretty clear they were simply going to take the top GPAs of the group.  

Personal statement is surprisingly important as well.  One program told us (interviewees) that they just take the top few personal statements and barely look at your other qualifications.  If you think about it, it's the only way they get to know you in advance.  

So generally, no. 

the quality and variety of rotations are important. hopefully you attend a place that has lots of electives available in the field you are interested in.

I was able to do rotations in EM, peds em, trauma surgery, and trauma ctr em for example in addition to all the standard rotations. older programs tend to have a better rotation list than newer programs and the quality of the preceptors may be better as these programs have discontinued bad sites or preceptors already while new programs are just happy to have sites/preceptors, who may be unproven...

Wow! That's great that you had that many electives. I have not seen many programs out there that offer that many. I have been accepted to a program that has one selective rotation of which I must choose one of four particular specialties and one elective of my choice. I really like the location of the program but it is only a 10 year old program.

Wow! That's great that you had that many electives. I have not seen many programs out there that offer that many. I have been accepted to a program that has one selective rotation of which I must choose one of four particular specialties and one elective of my choice. I really like the location of the program but it is only a 10 year old program.

the way they structure the program at Drexel you have selectives within each required rotation. I did trauma surgery for surgery, peds EM for peds, the required em rotation, and a single elective 12 week preceptorship in a community ER. 27 out of 54 weeks in my specialty of choice. also did ob, fp, psych, and internal medicine.around 3000 hrs all together.

Archived