Retake classes or take new science classes?

Just curious to see what everyone's opinions were on this.

Is it better to retake classes that you didn't do so well in (prereqs) like biology or Ochem? Or is it better to take some upper level science classes that you haven't taken yet like pharmacology or histology, etc and do well?

In addition, how much does it really matter if these classes are taken at a community college vs. a university? Cost is definitely a factor in this question :(

I think this depends on what the school prefers and how much of a difference you predict you'll see from retaking classes. Personally, I retook one pre-requisite class where I knew I would turn my D into an A and I did. Then I still applied and was accepted to PA schools with two Cs in chemistry courses that I didn't bother retaking since I didn't feel they were worth the trouble when I'd done really well in my highest level sciences. I'd recommend taking as many upper level sciences as possible and obviously do the best you can, and retake courses if you expect you'll see a big change or if you have to meet a minimum grade for it to count. I believe that having As in upper level classes overshadowed my two Cs and proved my competence and I was never asked to explain those grades. I took some classes at a community college and the majority at a 4-year institution, no one ever questioned the community college classes but they were non-science pre-requisites and I know some of my schools only accepted certain things like med-term or stats as online or community college classes and everything else had to be at a 4-year school.

It does depend on the school. CC should be fine. If you have the option anyway, take them at a 4 year university if you can help it. The courses are usually more thorough in 4 year colleges. Just speaking from people I know. Some PA schools would rather you take them at 4 year universities. 

Most PA schools do not care anyhow from what I can tell. The decision is yours. 
As for classes you didn't do well, I would personally redo any class and make sure I had a solid B or above. Also check with whats important in the schools you want to apply to and go from there. 

I just retook ENG101 and now I'm retaking BIO202 (A&P II). I would retake science courses, one at a time to get a better grade and to stay focused. If you truly feel you can handle retaking 2, it's up to u. I am only retaking one at a time and putting all focus into it. I am even getting tutoring early.

I am retaking at a community college which is 1/3rd cheaper. Keep in mind too, that financial aid doesn't pay for retaking classes, so if you retake them, make them count and get that better grade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived