Questions about EMT market in socal.

Hey guys, new to the site but Ive been lurking around. Anyhow, I currently volunteer at a local hospital were i actually get to have hands on experience in terms of taking vitals and what not. I will be graduating from college this spring in psychology. I currently work at a bank but im starting to realize its not for me and I am also starting to realize that I am falling in love with the whole healthcare field. I know i will need to take certain science classes for my prereqs which arent to much of a concern. However, for HCE experience I am looking into doing emt as I hear that its great experiecne in term of learning and hands on care. However, i hear that the job market here for EMTs is horrible and that its almost impossible to get in. can anyone else chime on this. It would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely cxr89

Hey guys, new to the site but Ive been lurking around. Anyhow, I currently volunteer at a local hospital were i actually get to have hands on experience in terms of taking vitals and what not. I will be graduating from college this spring in psychology. I currently work at a bank but im starting to realize its not for me and I am also starting to realize that I am falling in love with the whole healthcare field. I know i will need to take certain science classes for my prereqs which arent to much of a concern. However, for HCE experience I am looking into doing emt as I hear that its great experiecne in term of learning and hands on care. However, i hear that the job market here for EMTs is horrible and that its almost impossible to get in. can anyone else chime on this. It would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely cxr89

Two primary areas for EMT work is on a BLS ambulance and that is typically pretty easy to get into. Just be careful because some of the smaller companies (and even the larger ones) can have some shady practices. Just my experience. The other area is in a hospital as an ER tech or some hospitals will hire to work on the floor in various departments. I have done both for nearly 6 years now and the hospital is by far the better HCE but also much more difficult to get into. No reason you can't do both either. I live in San Diego and the hospital jobs are pretty locked up and when I was in LA last year the market was tough there too but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying.

Good luck!

Two primary areas for EMT work is on a BLS ambulance and that is typically pretty easy to get into. Just be careful because some of the smaller companies (and even the larger ones) can have some shady practices. Just my experience. The other area is in a hospital as an ER tech or some hospitals will hire to work on the floor in various departments. I have done both for nearly 6 years now and the hospital is by far the better HCE but also much more difficult to get into. No reason you can't do both either. I live in San Diego and the hospital jobs are pretty locked up and when I was in LA last year the market was tough there too but that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep trying.

Good luck!

Archived