Scope Of Practice Question

Ok, so I am having a hard time finding practicing PAs in Louisiana to weigh in on how it is being a PA in Louisiana, mainly because I have heard that the South isn't the most PA friendly region and the fact that Louisiana is one of the lowest paying states for PAs. So after doing some research (http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/physician-assistant-scope-of-practice-laws/?currentTimeframe=0), I found that basically everything regarding Louisiana scope of practice is dictated by the facility you work. My question is: Is it generally better for the scope of a PA to be regulated at the state level or facility level?

sorry if it is a dumb question

I don't think there's a "right" answer to that question. It's not dumb, but it's very difficult to answer. A PA in a state with very restrictive state laws might say you're better off finding somewhere else to work. Someone like me who's not terribly restricted by state laws doesn't have that perspective. My practice scope is dictated mostly by my supervising physician, with some institutional guidelines.

You want to find a job where you will be happy and fulfilled. What it takes to make a PA happy and fulfilled changes over time. At some points in your career you might not care that some state law or institutional policy stops you from performing a procedure or working under certain conditions. At other times that will chafe.

Archived