How important is healthcare experience?

It seems like most people have a ton of healthcare experience before applying to PA programs. By the time I apply, I'm guessing I'll have roughly 500 hours of volunteering in a hospital. I know some programs require a lot more than that, so I definitely wouldn't consider those, but for programs that require less, would only having about 500 hours make it really unlikely for me to be accepted?

and if I end up with about a 3.8 GPA with a lot of advanced biology and chemistry courses what are some schools I should look into that don't core quite as much about healthcare experience?

It seems like most people have a ton of healthcare experience before applying to PA programs. By the time I apply, I'm guessing I'll have roughly 500 hours of volunteering in a hospital. I know some programs require a lot more than that, so I definitely wouldn't consider those, but for programs that require less, would only having about 500 hours make it really unlikely for me to be accepted?

and if I end up with about a 3.8 GPA with a lot of advanced biology and chemistry courses what are some schools I should look into that don't core quite as much about healthcare experience?

From my experience, typically when schools are asking for healthcare experience they are looking for paid hours. I suppose it depends on the school.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

After 500 hours volunteering, you have probably met a few people. Ask around for any opportunities for a paid position as a tech. Ideally, impress and then ask a nursing manager. 

Agree with above, your volunteer hours are great for your application,  but do not count as health care experience. You need an actual job that is hands-on. 

Archived