What are you learning now?

• 3 weeks later...

Week one of the final quarter of didactic year! Yay! Just getting into the swing of things. ClinProcedures... I've never placed an IV or given an injection (other than jabbing my roomie with an EPIPEN in college, which my friends have informed me does not count). :) We're practicing giving injections to each other on Friday. So I'm excited to do that and all the other nifty stuff like suturing on pigs and casting.

• 2 months later...

Today is day one of our 2-week break before rotations start. Took the packrat last week and it wasn't so bad. Around question 100 I looked up and realized I still had over half the exam left and despaired for a moment, but it turned out.

I have family med first. Gonna be driving about 2 hours a day, which is not thrilling. I'm spending some time & money next week prepping my car for her last year of life. But hopefully it will be a great intro to the year and working with patients. What about you?

Happy break!! We start rotations July 23, my first is Peds...also 2.5 hours away (will live in AHEC housing). We're required to have at least 2 "away/greater than 50 miles away" rotations, Peds will be my first one. Excited to get started seeing patients in a new role, but a little nervous about the logistics (school & chilcare-leaving the hubby to care for everything). We have 3 exams next week & break for a week for AAPA Conference. Time sure flies, didactic is almost over :)

Do you "study" for the packrat? Have to keep us all posted on that family med experience.

• 2 months later...

Family med was awesome! Got comfortable with school physicals and some office procedures (injections, blood draws, etc), and became more familiar with common management of chronic illness. Lots of exposure to a huge variety of meds and opportunity to practice my history-taking.

I'm in general surgery now and it is amazing!!! I'm working hard, and getting to do more and more each day. Remembering to be the definition of a HAMMERHEAD from Surgical Recall. :) It actually does help. I thought about it today during hour 2 of holding that lap camera just so, when my extended arm really could have fallen off and I would have been relieved. I think the attitude pays off too. I got to do some pretty sweet stuff today that felt a little like a reward.

Define HAMMERHEAD.

A hammerhead is an individual who places his head to the ground and hammers through any and all obstacles to get a job done and then asks for more work. One who gives 110% and never complains. One who desires work.

Archived