No More Grade Replacement for DO Schools

Guest PALois

Guest PALois

I Just heard from my friend whose applying to med schools that starting for the 2017-2018 cycle, AACOMAS (application for DO schools) will no longer do grade replacement. While not exactly Pre-PA related news, I have seen many give advice to people with low GPAs on this forum to consider DO vs. PA school since they do grade replacement versus CASPA. Curious on what everyone's thoughts are on this change & why it was done. 

http://www.aacom.org/become-a-doctor/applying/notice-of-repeat-coursework-policy-change

I think allowing grade replacement perpetuated the notion that DOs are inferior to MDs.

Personally, I am glad it is gone. Being a doctor is one of the hardest careers and simply erasing poor grades isn't fair to those who did well the first time. However, the short notice is very unfair and cruel to those who took out loans and sacrificed their high paying jobs to pursue medicine. 

I think allowing grade replacement perpetuated the notion that DOs are inferior to MDs.

Personally, I am glad it is gone. Being a doctor is one of the hardest careers and simply erasing poor grades isn't fair to those who did well the first time. However, the short notice is very unfair and cruel to those who took out loans and sacrificed their high paying jobs to pursue medicine. 

Makes me wonder if anyone will try to file a suit against AACOMAS for that.

• Administrator

Eh, so what?  Grade replacement hits everyone equally, and doesn't make that big of a difference when applied across the board.  I doubt any lawsuit against AACOMAS would succeed, because they never said they'd keep grade replacement forever.  CASPA changes its policies every year--I don't get to sue because people in the years after mine got 1300 more characters to write a personal statement.

Archived