Volunteer International Trauma Team opportunity

18 days in Erbil, Iraq (85 km from Mosul) taking care of mostly civilian victims of the ongoing siege there. Our advanced team just got back and said the situation is feasible for small teams to operate in reasonable safety. This is a World Health Organization sponsored activity with all expenses paid aside from a $100 deployment fee for ID cards, shirts, visas, etc There will be security on site.

See the announcement on the home page of NYC Medics at www.nycmedics.org

I deployed with this organization to Haiti in 2010 and Nepal in 2015 and trust their assessment of need and safety.

I signed up for a deployment this summer. They will be sending 13 teams between now and the end of august. please don't apply if you don't meet their minimum requirements as they will not be making exceptions to these.

Mid-level providers (Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners)  
▪ Responsibilities: ​ Assist with medical care under the supervision of the
physicians, including medical and minor surgical procedures as outlined in the Trauma Stabilization Point Terms of Reference document, and assist with
clinical documentation.
▪ Required Qualifications:​  Two years of professional experience as a
mid-level provider in Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Surgical Critical Care,
or Anesthesia, an active license to practice as a mid-level provider, and
up-to-date certification in ATLS or the equivalent
▪ Desired Qualifications: ​ Arabic speaking, military experience, law
enforcement experience, experience operating in high-stress regions
experiencing conflict or sudden onset disasters,  Tactical Combat Casualty
Care (TCCC), Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (TECC), Pre-Hospital
Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), Emergency Pediatric Care (EPC).  

EMEDPA,

This opportunity sounds incredible. Have you ever written a blog post or some type review after you've gotten back from previous trips? I and I'm sure many others would love to hear more details about the type of work and experiences you have internationally.

I would love to one day work in disaster relief, but just not there in terms of knowledge and experience right now.

EMEDPA,

This opportunity sounds incredible. Have you ever written a blog post or some type review after you've gotten back from previous trips? I and I'm sure many others would love to hear more details about the type of work and experiences you have internationally.

I would love to one day work in disaster relief, but just not there in terms of knowledge and experience right now.

do searches on here for "Haiti" and "Nepal" for threads from my prior medical missions.

18 days in Erbil, Iraq (85 km from Mosul) taking care of mostly civilian victims of the ongoing siege there. Our advanced team just got back and said the situation is feasible for small teams to operate in reasonable safety. This is a World Health Organization sponsored activity with all expenses paid aside from a $100 deployment fee for ID cards, shirts, visas, etc There will be security on site.

See the announcement on the home page of NYC Medics at www.nycmedics.org

I deployed with this organization to Haiti in 2010 and Nepal in 2015 and trust their assessment of need and safety.

I signed up for a deployment this summer. They will be sending 13 teams between now and the end of august. please don't apply if you don't meet their minimum requirements as they will not be making exceptions to these.

Mid-level providers (Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners)  

▪ Responsibilities: ​ Assist with medical care under the supervision of the

physicians, including medical and minor surgical procedures as outlined in the Trauma Stabilization Point Terms of Reference document, and assist with

clinical documentation.

▪ Required Qualifications:​  Two years of professional experience as a

mid-level provider in Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Surgical Critical Care,

or Anesthesia, an active license to practice as a mid-level provider, and

up-to-date certification in ATLS or the equivalent

▪ Desired Qualifications: ​ Arabic speaking, military experience, law

enforcement experience, experience operating in high-stress regions

experiencing conflict or sudden onset disasters,  Tactical Combat Casualty

Care (TCCC), Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (TECC), Pre-Hospital

Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), Emergency Pediatric Care (EPC).  

Maybe I could go as your translator and you could remind me how to do trauma medicine.

I've speak Arabic but still a year away from meeting the required experience. Maybe next time.

من أي بلد أنت؟

نا الأمريكية ولكني درست اللغة العربية في مصر. أنا لا أتكلم جيدا الآن، ولكن تريد أن تتعلم أكثر.

من أي بلد أنت؟

نا الأمريكية ولكني درست اللغة العربية في مصر. أنا لا أتكلم جيدا الآن، ولكن تريد أن تتعلم أكثر.

That's awesome jmj.  It's so awesome, that when I saw the text in the "Latest Posts" feed on the side of the Forum front page, I immediately thought the website got spammed again and was ready to delete it.  Carry on :-D

من أي بلد أنت؟

أنا مصري ولكن ولدت في أمريكا

Both of my parents are Egyptian and immigrated and met in the US in the 70s. Interestingly enough, many Egyptians from the US speak the language but can't read Arabic. But that's cool you learned the Egyptian dialect which is way different than what they speak in Iraq.

أنا مصري ولكن ولدت في أمريكا

Both of my parents are Egyptian and immigrated and met in the US in the 70s. Interestingly enough, many Egyptians from the US speak the language but can't read Arabic. But that's cool you learned the Egyptian dialect which is way different than what they speak in Iraq.

Yeah, I realize that. I was in Morocco three years ago and it was a very different dialect, but could get by (barely). I was just watching a refresher course from Beruit last night and several ways of saying things were different. I could read what you wrote easily but my vocabulary is so limited now that when I read Aljazeera in Arabic, I can only understand about 10%.

Maybe you can go with the NYC Medics group as a translator?  They are an excellent group as EMEDPA can attest to.

هل قمت بزيارة مصر؟ يجب أن يكون لديك أقارب هناك الآن.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

things are heating up over there with the new offensive. team from NycMedics is now very close to the front lines in Mosul. One of my friends( a surgical pa) put a chest tube in one of the Iraqi medics who was shot working with the team yesterday. I am committed to going, but would be lying if I said I had no concerns about group safety over there.

Archived