What did you do to get into Wayne State PA School?

Hey everyone,

I am looking at applying to PA schools this upcoming year. I know that grades are important, but what other advice can you give that you think would help or helped you get in? What were your extracurriculars like? What did you do for the patient care hours? What helped you the most? Where did you volunteer? Any help or insight would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Well rounded volunteer experience will help, try to get at least 50 hours in 2017 if you can. If you already have a ton of volunteer experience just continue to get a little bit here and there. I did random stuff like Habitat for humanity, AHA related events, and I volunteered with the ADA a little bit as well. As far as clinical experience goes, try to get into something that is going to give you WELL-ROUNDED experience. The "higher" experience the better. If you can get in as an CNA at a hospital that should be more than good. Definitely shadow a PA or two if you can as well and get a letter of recommendation from them. Prior to interviews it helps to research current legislature and "hot topics" in the PA world as well. It shows that you have "done your homework" so to say. Definitely come to a monthly info meeting as well if you can. It will show your face and you can get to know some of the current students that are there that day. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any specific questions.

I volunteered at a free health clinic in Detroit, volunteered at an urban garden in Detroit, volunteered a bit with Habitat for Humanity Detroit, was a research assistant in the ER at SMML, worked closely with nurses as a CENA at a SNF (you could've been an EMT, MA, phlebotomist, pt. tech or whatever!), worked as a physics proctor, worked as physics supplemental instruction leader, worked as a student assistant at my school's science learning center, shadowed a few doctors, shadowed a few PAs, and volunteered at a pharmacy.

They want to see that you're not only excelling academically but also as a contributing member of the community (esp. in Detroit) and that you know what a PA is based on your work experience. They also want to see that you've worked/volunteered in a variety of settings (hospital, clinic, etc.) and have worked with a diverse array of people (healthcare professionals [physicians, PAs, nurses, NPs, pharmacists, etc] , patients/residents/clients,  and people in general in whatever environment [students, researchers, professors, children, customers, etc.]). They want to see well-rounded individuals who've developed and maintained a strong sense of dedication, responsibility/accountability, team-work, a good work ethic, etc. Being in sororities/frats, school orgs/clubs also counts as long as what you did in those organizations was meaningful (volunteer work, leading people in a team, made a change/difference on campus no matter how small or big).

Recap: A VARIETY of EXPERIENCES (in addition to academic excellence/growth) will make you a very qualified candidate.

When you get your interviews, make sure you review (and have multiple answers ready) for as many common PA school interview Qs as possible. If you work really hard (for me it was a week or two) to prep for your first PA school interview, the rest will be a breeze and only require you to refresh your memory and do some research on the individual school. Make sure you know the school's mission statement, and what they emphasize and make sure you can demonstrate that you fit into their school and what they value.

Archived