HCE advice

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of some decent HCE options that do not require taking too many classes or that doesn't take long to get certified. A lot of the usual things like MA, Respiratory assistant ect requires an associates. I have about 1 year of pre-reqs left to take until I could start the program, and was hoping to get my HCE during that time. I'm a bit of a non-trad so the most of my work experience is in business management, which doesn't help me too much. The rest of my application is fine I think (3.8 gpa vol work, shadowing ect)

CNA is probably your fastest route. You can finish it rather quickly, depending on the classes you decide to take. I'm starting mine here soon after my EMT class was cancelled but I'm kind of glad it was because this is so much shorter and a lot more room for more to be hired and easier to find work rather than as an EMT-B in my area. There's CNA I and CNA II but you cant do the second without the first but the first would suffice for most jobs. Hope this helps! 

CNA is probably your fastest route. You can finish it rather quickly, depending on the classes you decide to take. I'm starting mine here soon after my EMT class was cancelled but I'm kind of glad it was because this is so much shorter and a lot more room for more to be hired and easier to find work rather than as an EMT-B in my area. There's CNA I and CNA II but you cant do the second without the first but the first would suffice for most jobs. Hope this helps! 

consider doing the emt as well as the cna to round out your experience a bit. it also opens up a few other jobs options. some ER tech positions actually want both. best of luck.

consider doing the emt as well as the cna to round out your experience a bit. it also opens up a few other jobs options. some ER tech positions actually want both. best of luck.

Hmm... interesting. I've looked at a fair amount of jobs and most just wanted to make sure BLS was covered for them but as for this semester I will focus on CNA and maybe over the summer another EMT course will be available but I know to focus on my studies first and foremost. Thanks for the advice, as always, EMEDPA!

Happy Holidays!

I'd agree CNA is the fastest route, and very easy to get a job. It's not the best experience as far as preparing for PA school goes but you can take the class in 4 weeks and start working once you pass the certification exam. You can always shadow and volunteer to get more educational experience outside of that.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

would being a scribe rate significantly lower than being a CNA? Just feel like as a scribe i could also network with potential PA's and try and make contacts for shadowing/ LOR's 

No, it would not rate significantly lower. It can be a job full of great exposure, but I'd make sure your ideal schools accept it, as they want "direct patient contact." I believe most would accept it but just double check. Measure twice, cut once. 

I look at this a little differently, probably because I was a respiratory therapist before I became a PA but consider the chance that you don't get into PA school, do you have a backup plan. I know we all like to think that we will get into PA school but that just may not be the case for everybody (especially as it is becoming more and more competitive). Getting a degree in some type of healthcare profession (respiratory therapy, rad tech, paramedic, RN, etc) gives you some of the best HCE out there but also gives you a good fall back career just in case you don't get in. Just something to think about. 

I look at this a little differently, probably because I was a respiratory therapist before I became a PA but consider the chance that you don't get into PA school, do you have a backup plan. I know we all like to think that we will get into PA school but that just may not be the case for everybody (especially as it is becoming more and more competitive). Getting a degree in some type of healthcare profession (respiratory therapy, rad tech, paramedic, RN, etc) gives you some of the best HCE out there but also gives you a good fall back career just in case you don't get in. Just something to think about. 

very valid point. My B.S. is already in Business Admin and already have a decent business gig, so at least I have a plan B...It just doesnt give me the "warm and fuzzies"/fulfillment that i believe medicine would

I was able to get a position as an MA without any certification or experience. I would just try looking for hiring offices that will do on the job training. I've also heard a lot of schools don't like scribing for PCE, so be mindful of that.

I have been looking for a while with no luck. Every job I have found so far requires graduation from a MA program. But, I will continue the search. THank you!

I have been looking for a while with no luck. Every job I have found so far requires graduation from a MA program. But, I will continue the search. THank you!

Do not give up! Apply to stand alone Urgent Care Centers. I currently work at one and they required a MA license and 1 year of experience. I applied without either. Been there for little over a year now.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely recommend looking into privately owned clinics over hospitals as sometimes they tend to be a little more lenient with taking in your other credentials and training you on the job. I got certified as a CNA (which took about 2 months) but I have gotten three MA jobs that I was trained on the job for and got wonderful experience at a family medicine clinic, OBGYN clinic, and now nephrology clinic. Don't give up!

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knew of some decent HCE options that do not require taking too many classes or that doesn't take long to get certified. A lot of the usual things like MA, Respiratory assistant ect requires an associates. I have about 1 year of pre-reqs left to take until I could start the program, and was hoping to get my HCE during that time. I'm a bit of a non-trad so the most of my work experience is in business management, which doesn't help me too much. The rest of my application is fine I think (3.8 gpa vol work, shadowing ect)

Scribing doesn't require any classes or certification though may require some pre testing/training prior to beginning. As someone mentioned above, it is possible to become a CNA without going through a program though I have heard of others doing this and haven't done it myself.

I was a scribe and CNA and b/w the 2, scribing offers much more useful experience and exposure to medicine. Check specific PA program websites to confirm this HCE is acceptable though you mentioned you still have 1 yr. of classes left and finding a scribe job that will accommodate that schedule may not be easy since many scribe jobs are in the ED and will expect you to be willing to work afternoon/night shifts.

No, it would not rate significantly lower. It can be a job full of great exposure, but I'd make sure your ideal schools accept it, as they want "direct patient contact." I believe most would accept it but just double check. Measure twice, cut once.

Do remember that some schools that list scribing not an acceptable form of HCE. Paid HANDS ON experience is honestly the best! Simply being in a room typing away doesn't count. Although the networking part would be a benefit.

It can feel like searching for a needle in a hay-stack, but like someone previously said, you can in fact get a job as a Medical Assistant without a license or certificate---- this is what I am doing and it has been an invaluable experience! I would look for small, privately owned clinics --- they tend to have more lee-way in hiring options and not needing to meet some HR "check-box" that you have a certificate or license, for liability reasons. The clinic I work for hired me and trained me, because they would rather have employees who are using the position as a stepping stone to bigger and better things, because it basically ensures that they have engaged, dedicated employees looking to learn and grow! If you reach out to MA positions and let them know that, no, you don't have a license, but what you do have that sets you above the rest is a passion and dedication to learning and exploring healthcare and you are committed to the position because you have a greater long-term goal, etc. Plus your business background might be viewed favorably in a small practice. 

Anyway --- it is tough to find places that advertise that they will hire you without an MA license, but still worth asking and being persistent. 

Best of luck!

Archived