Hi all

I am trying to raise my GPA, so I am going to re-take A&P 1, which I did horribly in (C+). I was thinking of taking the class online with the lab, but I originally did not take the class in an online format. Do you think it will be an issue? I really want to do the class online because of money (The online class is around $700 cheaper).

Thanks for the input!

Hi all

I am trying to raise my GPA, so I am going to re-take A&P 1, which I did horribly in (C+). I was thinking of taking the class online with the lab, but I originally did not take the class in an online format. Do you think it will be an issue? I really want to do the class online because of money (The online class is around $700 cheaper).

Thanks for the input!

In my experience, you need to be very focused and independent to make online learning work. This is especially true of classes that have a true "teachable" component. Stuff like medical terminology is essentially a vocab memorization exercise, but there is an element of anatomy that is really enhanced by someone showing a student. If you've ever taken an online class before you will have an idea of how dedicated you are to making time for yourself to learn the material. Only you can decide if it will be a problem.

I'm confused about the comment on the lab - is the lab online? If so, how does that work?

In my experience, you need to be very focused and independent to make online learning work. This is especially true of classes that have a true "teachable" component. Stuff like medical terminology is essentially a vocab memorization exercise, but there is an element of anatomy that is really enhanced by someone showing a student. If you've ever taken an online class before you will have an idea of how dedicated you are to making time for yourself to learn the material. Only you can decide if it will be a problem.

I'm confused about the comment on the lab - is the lab online? If so, how does that work?

I'm currently doing online A&P through Chemeketa CC in OR. It's tough. All throughout school I was lovingly (I hope) nicknamed "Rainman" for my ability to understand and regurgitate info...If I got named that this time around it would be more for the negative connotations. Online A&P has a huge amount of information thrown at you quickly, instead of spending 1-2 hours a day in a structured classroom environment with the instructor there to answer questions or show an alternative method of understanding, you are sitting in your living room/library/officer/Starbucks tearing your hair out. Now, that being said it IS doable, and I am doing quite well at the moment (3wks in with two quizzes and an exam in the near future) haha, just be aware of what you're getting into!

Also make sure the program you are applying to will accept the online AnP, some don't

Green- There are virtual labs, some programs will actually mail you the pig/kitty/rat etc., you photograph your work, send it back in.

I'm currently doing online A&P through Chemeketa CC in OR. It's tough. All throughout school I was lovingly (I hope) nicknamed "Rainman" for my ability to understand and regurgitate info...If I got named that this time around it would be more for the negative connotations. Online A&P has a huge amount of information thrown at you quickly, instead of spending 1-2 hours a day in a structured classroom environment with the instructor there to answer questions or show an alternative method of understanding, you are sitting in your living room/library/officer/Starbucks tearing your hair out. Now, that being said it IS doable, and I am doing quite well at the moment (3wks in with two quizzes and an exam in the near future) haha, just be aware of what you're getting into!

Also make sure the program you are applying to will accept the online AnP, some don't

Green- There are virtual labs, some programs will actually mail you the pig/kitty/rat etc., you photograph your work, send it back in.

You need to be 100% sure the schools you will apply to will take lab science from an online course. Some/Many will not.

My personal opinion is that if you struggled the first time you took it, taking online the second time is a poor decision.

This.

I'm a big fan of online classes but taking A&P online is probably not a good way to go. Many schools say they'll accept online coursework except courses with labs or A&P specifically. You're better off forking out the extra money. Just retake it at a community college and it shouldn't even cost $700 total.

You need to be 100% sure the schools you will apply to will take lab science from an online course. Some/Many will not.

My personal opinion is that if you struggled the first time you took it, taking online the second time is a poor decision.

This.

I'm a big fan of online classes but taking A&P online is probably not a good way to go. Many schools say they'll accept online coursework except courses with labs or A&P specifically. You're better off forking out the extra money. Just retake it at a community college and it shouldn't even cost $700 total.

This.

I think based on everyones comments, I am just going to take it at a CC. Unfortunately I live in NYC, so even with in state tuition, the class comes out to like $1100 :-( But hey, I think Ive spent an arm and a leg already so whats another $1100? lol.

This.

I think based on everyones comments, I am just going to take it at a CC. Unfortunately I live in NYC, so even with in state tuition, the class comes out to like $1100 :-( But hey, I think Ive spent an arm and a leg already so whats another $1100? lol.

That's crazy! California community colleges are around $30 per hour/unit.... and even then, we have a "board of governors waiver" that pays for that if you show ANY need on the FAFSA.

That's crazy! California community colleges are around $30 per hour/unit.... and even then, we have a "board of governors waiver" that pays for that if you show ANY need on the FAFSA.

Archived