School Prerequisites and Requirements for Application and Admission

When they say Human Anatomy and Human Physiology, does it mean upper div courses or lower div courses? Or does it totally depend on the school? What do most schools accept?

I am new to the forum and anyone's help would be appreciated!

From my understanding, since PA school is an Allied Health program, they only require you to take the Allied Health A&P (same one that nurses take).

The real question is, however, if most of the accepted PA students took just the Allied Health courses, or skipped them in favor of the pre-med type courses. I've been trying to call these schools, but they're either constantly busy, or I have to fly over and talk to a counselor. I would think we can just stick with the Allied Health classes, but I don't want to get screwed over. :ohnoes:

From my understanding, since PA school is an Allied Health program, they only require you to take the Allied Health A&P (same one that nurses take).

The real question is, however, if most of the accepted PA students took just the Allied Health courses, or skipped them in favor of the pre-med type courses. I've been trying to call these schools, but they're either constantly busy, or I have to fly over and talk to a counselor. I would think we can just stick with the Allied Health classes, but I don't want to get screwed over. :ohnoes:

All of the schools I contacted wanted pre-med level classes, not ones designated for nursing

• 7 months later...

Hello all :)

Does anyone know if pace university recently updated their admission requirements? I think the website has included more detailed information about admissions and also updated the FAQs page. Upon submitting my CASPA application, I recalled reading on their website that prerequisites must be completed before matriculation (now the website states all prerequisites must be complete before submitting the application). I completed all my prerequisites except a 1 unit anatomy lab. I was unable to complete the lab portion because biology majors at UC Berkeley have priority in registering for lab sections and there were rarely seats available for non-biology majors. As a result, I was unable to complete anatomy lab before graduating. On my CASPA application, I indicated that the anatomy lab is in progress. I just received an interview invite to Pace university a few days ago and am confused at whether this requirement is a recent change that does not apply to this years applicants

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

This is a very helpful info you post here, thanx. Although I am wondering why wouldn't they make a book with all PA programs admission requirements? I saw books like this for pharmacy and dentistry programs, very helpful for future applicants. Or maybe they have something like this and I just don't know about it? Anyway, how do you find all this info? Do you just make a research on every school you are interested in?

Thanx for you help

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum and see there's so much useful info here, thanks to all who contributed.

Wonder if anyone would be able to advice my case:

career-changer

cGPA=2.87 + professional qualifications: Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) and 4 Society of Actuarial exams, one exam short to becoming an Associate with the Society of Actuaries. I intend to fulfill the requirement and become an Associate by next June.

without a science background, there are two options I can consider to becoming a PA:

1) take pre-req college courses and apply to MS PA program later

most schools require cGPA of 3.0 which I hope to surpass after taking college science courses

2) take a combined BS/MS course

most schools require exceptional SAT grades. I was not educated in US and did not take SAT. would the schools then look at my cGPA which is only 2.87? would they consider my professional exams above?

should I apply to BS/MS program or apply to MS program after first completing pre-reqs?

do I need to complete a second degree or would fulfilling the pre-reqs suffice?

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Can the pre-requisites be accomplished online? I am currently in the military and that is the only option for me most of the time. I have been taking online classes to apply for the IPAP program. I am just curious if these will transfer over if I decide to get out and try my chances as a civilian.

• 2 months later...

I am currently a junior and am planning on applying to schools this summer, but my problem is I am an Athletic Training major and I don't think I will be able to take Organic Chemistry. I mapped out my senior year and I can't fit it in my schedule. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any schools that don't require it? I will not be able to complete organic or biochem. I will have bio I, II, chem I, II, genetics, medical term., stats, pre calc, microbiology and some others but those are the basic prerequisites that seem to be the standard that I know I will have. Thanks for your help!

I am currently a junior and am planning on applying to schools this summer, but my problem is I am an Athletic Training major and I don't think I will be able to take Organic Chemistry. I mapped out my senior year and I can't fit it in my schedule. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any schools that don't require it? I will not be able to complete organic or biochem. I will have bio I, II, chem I, II, genetics, medical term., stats, pre calc, microbiology and some others but those are the basic prerequisites that seem to be the standard that I know I will have. Thanks for your help!

Some schools do not require Orgo... But majority (all 5 schools I have applied require Biochem and Microbiology). Take it over the summer, or find time for it, otherwise you will have to wait with your application till you done taking all the prereqs!

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Is it true that most PA schools require you to major in something health related? Is anthropology health related?

No, all schools require the math and sciences. Some schools require a bachelors, others only 90 semester hours. Get a degree in something you like that will get you good grades and be something to fall back on if PA school doesn't work out or isn't for you.

@mbalaban:

I would agree. No PA programs I know of require any particular undergraduate major. What most are looking for are students who performed well on the math/science prerequisites, understand the PA profession, and are committed to it. Your degree should be in something that you are passionate about. If anthropology, great! Just do the prerequisites along the way and take them seriously.

Josh Morrison

Director, Student Enrollment Services

Indiana University Physician Assistant Program

• 1 month later...

Lake Erie College

Painesville, Ohio

www.lec.edu/pa

First class will matriculate May 2014. We have an affiliation agreement with University Hospitals in Cleveland (#18 ranked hospital in the United States). The program will feature early clinical experiences, problem based learning, module based format, student faculty ratio better than 8:1.

Degree Requirements Prior to Admission

A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.2 GPA on a 4.0 scale is required for admissions. All required pre-requisite courses must be "B” or better with the exception of Organic Chemistry which must be "C”or better.

No grade of "B-" or "C-" will be accepted.

Academic Course Pre-Requisites

• Should be completed within last 7 years:
    • Human Anatomy & Physiology with lab (2 courses)
    • Microbiology with lab (1 course)
    • Genetics with lab (1 course)

• General Chemistry I and II with labs (1 course each)
    • Organic Chemistry with lab (1 course)
    • Biology I and II with labs (1 course each)
    • Statistics (1 course)
      • Note: Preference given to students with advanced statistics, biostatistics or health-related statistics courses

[*]Psychology (1 course)

• No Time Limit:
    • English to include communication or speech (2 courses)
    • College Algebra (1 course)

• Tested out during interviews:
    • Medical Terminology (course recommended)

Graduate Record Examination (GRE)

• GRE in last 5 years – no minimum score requirement

Students whose first language is not English must achieve:

• TOEFL: The current LEC graduate degree minimum required is a paper score of 600, a computer score of 250, or an internet score of 100.

Healthcare Experience Requirement

Applicants are required to complete a minimum of 250 hours observing or participating in the delivery of healthcare in a clinical environment.

At least 50 of the 250 hours must be from direct shadowing of a licensed Physician Assistant.

• 11 months later...

Hmmm... is there no free website that lists all PA programs by prerequisites????? It would be handy to be able to check of the prereqs that you meet, and the from there it'll show you which programs you qualify for...you know, like how there are websites where you can put in the ingredients you have on hand, and from there it'll spit out a few recipes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys! First of all thank you for putting all this information together it is really helpful!

I'm looking to apply for pa school. I'm going to start a CNA certification in two weeks and see if I can't find a job more related to the field, since now I'm just a receptionist. I would like to apply for this circle since I graduated a year ago from biology and I'm starting to get frustrated! The problem is clinical experience! I really don't have any and I shadowed a couple of health professionals back on high school so I don't think it has validation anymore! I was looking to apply to university of Oklahoma which doesn't ask for patient experience but I still need a recommendation letter from a physician! I don't want to keep wasting my time and my frustration is getting higher as time goes by! Do you have any advise???

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

TO ALL PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM:

I have a doctor of medicine degree from India..Would that satisfy your bachelor degree requirement at most PA programs in Texas? Would it satisfy my under grad science requirements ? i need some counseling regarding this..I have also got my Medical degree translated by SPANTRAN. Many places accept it ,I have heard.

Please get back to me with more details..

I would really appreciate your help in this regard..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi guys, i am applying to MCPHS in Boston for PA, the deadline is november 1st but i am starting my internship in september, is it going to be a problem for me since i am starting the Hands-on patient care experience in the application cycle? if anyone could answer i would appreciate. Thanks

Hi guys, i am applying to MCPHS in Boston for PA, the deadline is november 1st but i am starting my internship in september, is it going to be a problem for me since i am starting the Hands-on patient care experience in the application cycle? if anyone could answer i would appreciate. Thanks