megscc

Compensation help-all input appreciated

Hello! 

Some background information: DFW area PA, 4 years of experience (3 in family medicine, 1 for GI) 

My initial contract was for 100k base salary.  My contract is being reworked, and they are trying to add a bonus structure.  I see currently around 15 patients per day.  The new bonus structure is as follows:

3000 patients per year=$8000 yearly bonus

3500=$20,000

4000=$36,000

This seems great, but the problem is that my schedule is not that full.  For the last year, I only saw 2000 patients.  Basically, the bonus structure is unattainable with the amount of patients at my practice.  Any advise for what is fair compensation? I think the base salary is low and initially by SP was not willing to increase that.  So if I sign this, then I will be setting myself up to make base salary only, which seems low for specialty in a Dallas suburb.  

Any input is appreciated.  I just don't know where to go from here.  I love my job, my SP is fantastic and my office is amazing.  I just want fair compensation. 

Thank you!

get away from patient seen - or if this is the only metric - see only fast patients, one problem for visit, make them come back (god I hate that style of practice)

Instead - change your bonus over to a % of collections...  you should aim for 50% of collections in SALARY to you - the remaining 50% is to cover overhead of the practice and your bennies...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By MiMtMePAC
      Hello,
      I recently graduated and was offered a New Grad Hospitalist position in the New England area at a community hospital without some specialties and would like some feedback on the offer...
      Compensation: $48/hr, annually $99,840, plus incentive bonus (unknown amount), shift differential for night shifts $3/hr
      Schedule: 3 12hr shifts, alternating weeks of days and nights, 2 locations couple blocks apart, 6-10pts per day, great coaching and MD support, closed ICU/OBGYN, all surgical emergencies go to larger state hospital nearby
      PTO: 280hr allotment for all CME, sick, vacation, holidays, etc
      CME: $2500 for all license, DEA, certifications, etc
      Added bonus: AAPA Hospitalist bootcamp after 3-6months of starting, covered by the hospital
      Benefits: 10K loan reimbursement per year, relocation reimbursement coverage, 403b 3% match first year, then 5% match thereafter; Healthcare, Life insurance, AD&D, malpractice with tail coverage, etc. 

Does this seem like adequate compensation in general, and is that a good differential for nights? How could I negotiate this if at all? The alternating weeks of days and nights sounds rough, how could I configure this? Any other comments or insights are appreciated!
      Thanks for your help!
    • By jj123
      Hey all,
      I’m a PA in my first year of practice at a family medicine community health center. We are backed by a large hospital system that provides great benefits and a very fair salary, located in the southwest in a relatively low cost of living area. We have an annual review coming up and I was wondering what percentage is fair to ask for a raise or if a raise is even appropriate after 1 year? AAPA salary report is not very helpful in my state, not a ton of PAs are responding so I feel like the numbers are not a great representation of the average. 
      Salary now is just north of $95k for 8-5 5 days per week job and benefits are fantastic. There is a bonus structure but it’s vastly unattainable so I don’t factor that in. We’re also a federally qualified health center that qualifies for 2 loan repayment programs - one through the state and another through the federal government - that I am still in the process of applying for. Thanks for any insight you may have! 
    • By bathinrouz
      Hey yall, 
      Im facing a bit of a dilemma. I got a new grad offer for a Surgical Position that is offering me the package below in NYC
      105K Base Salary 
      10% Night differential 
      20 PTO days, 8 paid holidays, unlimited sick time, 12 weeks of paid salary for sick leave
      8-10% Increase every year
      Health package as well
      The reason I am conflicted is id like to make a counter offer for more but dont know how to go about it. A friend of mine got a similar deal but 5K more out east without negotiating in the same system.
      How should I go about negotiating it? What are some tips you can provide to get it higher salary or a better benefits package. Why would would there be a discrepancy between both? 
    • By bathinrouz
      Hey yall, 
      Im facing a bit of a dilemma. I got a new grad offer for a Surgical Position that is offering me the package below in NYC
      105K Base Salary 
      10% Night differential 
      20 PTO days, 8 paid holidays, unlimited sick time, 12 weeks of paid salary for sick leave
      2-3% Increase every 6 months based on merit 
      8-10% Increase every year
      Health package as well
      The reason I am conflicted is id like to make a counter offer for more but dont know how to go about it. A friend of mine got a similar deal but 5K more out east without negotiating in the same system.
      How should I go about negotiating it? What are some tips you can provide to get it higher salary or a better benefits package. Why would would there be a discrepancy between both? 
    • By PAC1234
      Hey guys, thanks in advance for your input. 
      I am renegotiating my contract at a FP location in WV. I have been here 3 years. Was hired in 2016 with a 3 year contract. I was hired as a new grad and started at a base salary of $80,000 with $1000 pay raise yearly for 3 years. I have a bonus structure of 25% bonus of receipts over 28,000 monthly.
      Benefits: 401K match, paid health insurance, disability, malpractice, $1500 CME, 25 days PTO as well as major holidays off. I do take call via phone 1 out of every 6 weeks but it is built into my salary. 
      New contract offer is for 5% raise yearly for the next 3 years: so starting in June my salary would be $86,100, then 90,405, then 3rd year 94,925. Would keep same benefits and bonus structure. 
      I know the salary is a little low for the average but since my office pays my husband and I's health insurance (around $12,000/yr) I feel like I can't press much more. 
      Just wanted to see what others thought before we have an actual sit down meeting about it. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More