ER Job Offer-Looking for Insight

Hello all, 

I was just offered an ER position in CA, and wanted to see if my peers thought it was a reasonable offer. Keep in mind that I am a new grad. 

52/hr

Bonuses paid out every 2 months (I've been told they range from 2000-3000$)

$5000 sign on bonus

4 weeks vacation

Health, dental, vision, malpractice. etc

Will be trained on complex procedures like LPs, Central Lines, Paracentesis, Chest Tubes, etc.

Told that after 18-24 months I will be making 60/hr assuming I meet all benchmark requirements

$2-4 dollar/hr raises each year thereafter

Is this a fair offer? The area of the hospital is known for having a lower cost of living than much of CA. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

CA is a huge state with wide variability in pay based on regionality. Are you North, central, or SoCal? 

Assuming you said that it is a lower cost of living area, I am assuming it is not SoCal. It seems as if $60/hr is the standard rate for new grad pay in SoCal..so I'd argue that you should be paid more to start in central or NoCal.

Benefits sound great though.. but is there any 401k? What kind of malpractice coverage? 

CA is a huge state with wide variability in pay based on regionality. Are you North, central, or SoCal? 

Assuming you said that it is a lower cost of living area, I am assuming it is not SoCal. It seems as if $60/hr is the standard rate for new grad pay in SoCal..so I'd argue that you should be paid more to start in central or NoCal.

Benefits sound great though.. but is there any 401k? What kind of malpractice coverage? 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

The job is in central CA, in a busy ER. Malpractice with tail is provided at no additional cost, and 401k is available with $1.20 matching for every $1.00 I would put in, up to 6% with 100% full vesting immediately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived