NP's do it again..... They are effective in the political realm.... if only AAPA can play catch up.

The VA has a centralized critical care management facility in Ohio where they remotely monitor VA critical care beds in VA Medical Centers throughout the nation. They have cameras in every room and can write orders for nursing staff. The Ohio center refuses to hire PAs but they do hire NPs extensively. The VA is working slowly to eliminate the PA from its ranks. The announcement above is just the latest in ongoing steps to decimate the ranks of the PA at the VA. The response by the AAPA is too little too late. The most influential figure to help our profession advance in the VA, Dennie Woodmansee, is silent. Mr Woodmansee is however actively involved in the advancement of ongoing PANRE certification exams at the NCCPA, a policy that the AAPA and the majority of PAs oppose. Do you see why this battle is lost?

Then what is the solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

I was reading through some old posts to get some information.  It appears NOTHING has changed in the VAMC. I had ask in another post more recently with no response.  I guess no one with ability to do so, cares.  In the meantime. since VA in many locations can't or decide it's not in their best financial interest to hire physicians to supervise PA's they are predominately hiring NP.  Really must be the most worthless professional leaders I've ever observed and clueless PA's blaming current job problems on COVID. While FNP's can work in ANY sub specialty, ortho, cardiothoracic, actually any surgical field, derm, ENT, pulmonary, EM.... Yours (PA) is a sad sinking ship, with the captain's just enjoying the view above all the madness. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cideous said:

I've said it before, the first NP program to give PA's a bridge to an NP degree with credit for "time served" will be completely overwhelmed by the response not to mention the tuition.

What we're seeing is an increasing number of PAs, myself included, working on doctorates. Not the actions of people who are abandoning the field.  It'd be interesting to see the year-over-year trajectory in DMSc and other PA doctorates, compared to DNP adoption among NPs.  We may be a bit behind, and you and others clearly preferred MCP to Physician Associates, but I am not ready to start digging the profession's grave yet.

If we stop envying the NPs and instead say  "If they can do it safely with their online programs and shadowing as clinicals, how much more can PAs practice independently and safely?"

Later this month I'm giving a CME talk to physicians. That is, I'm continuing to cast my lot with them, just asserting myself as more of a peer and asking to be held to the respective appropriate standards.  We'll see if the future is as bleak as you posit.

• Upvote 2

Problem is, not only are physicians fighting against PA progression, Nursing lobbyist will fight against any progression for PA independence. In Tennessee the TNA wrote letters against DMSc and PA progression. You have little choice other than envy. The physicians cant fight them and you think they are your friends, just like you thought physicians were your friends. This while AAPA buddies up to the group, ANA, that will flat out oppose your progression in creating the APP week. What a crock!

Look this up yourself:

"TNA will always support efforts to remove antiquated rules and regulations that have no impact on patient care outcomes and continue to restrict access to care and provider choice in Tennessee."      Provider choice only for themselves.

This is their response to DMS bill to give independence, similar to OTP:  "TNA Position: OPPOSE This bill is ill-defined, speaks to primary care needs, but amends parts of the code that do not apply to primary care. There is no need for this, if APRNs were allowed to practice to full scope of practice, they could address primary care shortages in the state"

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 7:55 PM, Hope2PA said:

Problem is, not only are physicians fighting against PA progression, Nursing lobbyist will fight against any progression for PA independence. In Tennessee the TNA wrote letters against DMSc and PA progression. You have little choice other than envy. The physicians cant fight them and you think they are your friends, just like you thought physicians were your friends. This while AAPA buddies up to the group, ANA, that will flat out oppose your progression in creating the APP week. What a crock!

Look this up yourself:

"TNA will always support efforts to remove antiquated rules and regulations that have no impact on patient care outcomes and continue to restrict access to care and provider choice in Tennessee."      Provider choice only for themselves.

This is their response to DMS bill to give independence, similar to OTP:  "TNA Position: OPPOSE This bill is ill-defined, speaks to primary care needs, but amends parts of the code that do not apply to primary care. There is no need for this, if APRNs were allowed to practice to full scope of practice, they could address primary care shortages in the state"

Please post the reference / resource. I would love to read this in full.  Thanks

3 hours ago, Sagamore said:

Please post the reference / resource. I would love to read this in full.  Thanks

image.thumb.jpeg.f0f48d4ec603c19682eeeed5dfbd3c69.jpeg
This was against the DMSc  PA’s. They are not even good enough. All that needs to occur is NP FPA. I saw letters to legislator’s from  APRNs in another state couple years ago. Will try to find again. It wasn’t on a specific site, just part of the info during public comment.Sounded like only APP capable of being any thing other than the beloved assistant was NP, APRN and CRNA.