Will getting my BSN make me look confused to an adcomm?

For family reasons, I'm postponing my application to PA school for a few years. In the meantime, I'm thinking of getting my BSN (RN) because I'm so close to it anyway. I have a bachelor's degree already, but my field (journalism) is over-saturated. I'd practice as a nurse for two to three years, then apply to PA school.

My thought process is that the BSN will be (a) better job security/chances, (b) great HCE for PA school, and © something I can support my family with until I enter PA school.

My worry is that PA school adcomms will wonder why I got my BSN and then turned around 2-3 years later and applied to PA school. Or am I overthinking this?

(Although I know some people might say "Get your MSN," I want the intense science background and heavier clinical hour requirements that PA schools offer. I have met excellent professionals who are NPs and PAs, but I know that PA fits my personality better.)

For family reasons, I'm postponing my application to PA school for a few years. In the meantime, I'm thinking of getting my BSN (RN) because I'm so close to it anyway. I have a bachelor's degree already, but my field (journalism) is over-saturated. I'd practice as a nurse for two to three years, then apply to PA school.

My thought process is that the BSN will be (a) better job security/chances, (b) great HCE for PA school, and © something I can support my family with until I enter PA school.

My worry is that PA school adcomms will wonder why I got my BSN and then turned around 2-3 years later and applied to PA school. Or am I overthinking this?

(Although I know some people might say "Get your MSN," I want the intense science background and heavier clinical hour requirements that PA schools offer. I have met excellent professionals who are NPs and PAs, but I know that PA fits my personality better.)

Thanks, Just Steve and PAMAC! I agree with you, PAMAC - I definitely don't want to spend a lot, especially knowing that PA school is on the horizon.

Just waiting to see where the husband gets stationed (military) next. At our preferred duty station, it would cost me less than $6K to get my ASN.

Thanks, Just Steve and PAMAC! I agree with you, PAMAC - I definitely don't want to spend a lot, especially knowing that PA school is on the horizon.

Just waiting to see where the husband gets stationed (military) next. At our preferred duty station, it would cost me less than $6K to get my ASN.

You may want to look into hospitals in the areas you will potentially be moving to and see if they will hire you with an ASN. The hospital I work at only hires nurses with a BSN and the ones already working there prior to that policy being put into place are being pushed to get it afaik.

You may want to look into hospitals in the areas you will potentially be moving to and see if they will hire you with an ASN. The hospital I work at only hires nurses with a BSN and the ones already working there prior to that policy being put into place are being pushed to get it afaik.

Archived