Joining the military to help repay loans

As a former Corpsman that served during the Clinton regime (circa 1992) I second what Contrarian said. The military is going through a huge shift once again and you may want to see what shakes out before thinking about signing up. On the other hand, I thought about going back in once my commitment to Washington State is done. There is something that draws people back to the military once they leave. I don't really know what that is though. :) Anyone else have any ideas?

Winter - their are a ton of options out there for loan repayment, including from prospective employers (hospitals, clinics, private practices) that may hire you. Keep your eyes open for any opportunities that come along. Also, you may consider graduating and getting some experience (5 years or so) and then trying to go overseas as a contract PA. Speculating on what I made as a Medic (120k+ per year) my boss (a PA) must have banked a good sum of cash. Good luck my friend.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is something that draws people back to the military once they leave. I don't really know what that is though. :) Anyone else have any ideas?

Its the "forget all the bad times, remember all the good" phenomenon :) I think there's a lot of camaraderie that is missed once you get out. I've yet to experience that on the same level in any aspect thus far since my discharge. When an old Marine comes into our clinic, its like we're old friends joking about this or that, me telling him just to take some motrin and change his socks and he'll be fine. There's a common bond amongst many that have served that we can relate to on another level. Just my $0.02 :)

There is something that draws people back to the military once they leave. I don't really know what that is though. :) Anyone else have any ideas?

Its the "forget all the bad times, remember all the good" phenomenon :) I think there's a lot of camaraderie that is missed once you get out. I've yet to experience that on the same level in any aspect thus far since my discharge. When an old Marine comes into our clinic, its like we're old friends joking about this or that, me telling him just to take some motrin and change his socks and he'll be fine. There's a common bond amongst many that have served that we can relate to on another level. Just my $0.02 :)

Winter - I'm in a similar situation with loans, though I have a family and a spouse who works, the details are a little different. I can tell you my plan (for now) is to work a job and a half doing shift work and use the half job to repay loans. Most ER shifts are 3/week (12/month usually how its counted), leaving you a full day or two to work another shift is you like. The PAs in the ICU I work with have two 15 hour shifts per week (8/month plus one LTAC weekend rounding), which makes for a long day but leaves plenty free for work on the side. I'm in the DFW area too, so I know if you want to be around here there are jobs like that available. Its some extra work, but totally worth it to me. Sure beats riding a cubicle.

Winter - I'm in a similar situation with loans, though I have a family and a spouse who works, the details are a little different. I can tell you my plan (for now) is to work a job and a half doing shift work and use the half job to repay loans. Most ER shifts are 3/week (12/month usually how its counted), leaving you a full day or two to work another shift is you like. The PAs in the ICU I work with have two 15 hour shifts per week (8/month plus one LTAC weekend rounding), which makes for a long day but leaves plenty free for work on the side. I'm in the DFW area too, so I know if you want to be around here there are jobs like that available. Its some extra work, but totally worth it to me. Sure beats riding a cubicle.

Archived