Joining the military to help repay loans

Look into going to the bush in AK.

Think they have loan repayment that can total 85k. I just got a jon post for 117k with 85k loan repayment

Also look at USPHS and especially coast guard too as they use PA's a fair amount

Honestly look at BOP as well. Loan repayment for remote locations might just be the way to go

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point wasn't about how "frugally" you lived... it was simply about whether or not you could afford it regardless of how frugally you lived.

Folks who eat generic, knock-off "Top Ramen" three meals a day and wear the same clothes most days of the week to live "fugally"... still shouldn't go out and sign a mortgage on a $300,000 home that they can't afford... just because they dream of owning one, want it or somehow feel "entitled" to it.

I dream of owning a Gulfstream 650 ... but "something" stops me from signing the paperwork to get one.

Hazard a guess as to what that is...

"C"!!!

I'm still just dreaming of a DHC-2 Beaver and a Beech Staggerwing! The G-Bird is for my manic times!! As usual your advice is on the money and unvarnished with delusional components!My 7k PA education didn't need to teach me to not put important apendages into meat grinders!

My point wasn't about how "frugally" you lived... it was simply about whether or not you could afford it regardless of how frugally you lived.

Folks who eat generic, knock-off "Top Ramen" three meals a day and wear the same clothes most days of the week to live "fugally"... still shouldn't go out and sign a mortgage on a $300,000 home that they can't afford... just because they dream of owning one, want it or somehow feel "entitled" to it.

I dream of owning a Gulfstream 650 ... but "something" stops me from signing the paperwork to get one.

Hazard a guess as to what that is...

"C"!!!

I'm still just dreaming of a DHC-2 Beaver and a Beech Staggerwing! The G-Bird is for my manic times!! As usual your advice is on the money and unvarnished with delusional components!My 7k PA education didn't need to teach me to not put important apendages into meat grinders!

Nothing wrong with joining the military to pay back school loans. As someone else said, that's what the program is for. People often idealize their own reasons for joining or remaining in the military, but the fact is that at some point or another every single person who signs that contract has done a little cost-benefit analysis in their head first.

That said, there are certain things you simply must be willing to accept when you join up, namely the reality of deploying and all that goes with that, moving around and not being able to put down roots, etc. A good attitude will carry you through a lot, and if you just grin and bear it and get through 4 years, you've already done more for your country than most. And who knows? You might love it and stay for a lot longer.

As far as money, you will make much more than $30k/year. You would come in as an O-2 making about $42k/year plus a non-taxable location-dependent housing allowance, and likely a few other special pays here and there. At times, you will feel like you are working much too hard for your money, and at times you will feel the opposite. I have never encountered a military PA who has complained about their pay (in fact, quite the opposite - once I was selected for PA training nearly every PA I came across has gone out of their way to detail how well they are compensated).

Nothing wrong with joining the military to pay back school loans. As someone else said, that's what the program is for. People often idealize their own reasons for joining or remaining in the military, but the fact is that at some point or another every single person who signs that contract has done a little cost-benefit analysis in their head first.

That said, there are certain things you simply must be willing to accept when you join up, namely the reality of deploying and all that goes with that, moving around and not being able to put down roots, etc. A good attitude will carry you through a lot, and if you just grin and bear it and get through 4 years, you've already done more for your country than most. And who knows? You might love it and stay for a lot longer.

As far as money, you will make much more than $30k/year. You would come in as an O-2 making about $42k/year plus a non-taxable location-dependent housing allowance, and likely a few other special pays here and there. At times, you will feel like you are working much too hard for your money, and at times you will feel the opposite. I have never encountered a military PA who has complained about their pay (in fact, quite the opposite - once I was selected for PA training nearly every PA I came across has gone out of their way to detail how well they are compensated).

for any federal loans that you have...

You can qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness of all federal loans after 10 years of full-time employment with a government or non-profit entity. No guarantees that this program will be around when it comes time to get forgiveness, but it may end up being to your benefit to work for the gov't or a non-profit.

for any federal loans that you have...

You can qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness of all federal loans after 10 years of full-time employment with a government or non-profit entity. No guarantees that this program will be around when it comes time to get forgiveness, but it may end up being to your benefit to work for the gov't or a non-profit.

I just thought I'd chip in my thoughts. I loved my military experience. If you are the kind of guy who is able to adapt to different environments (as in work place environments, culture, paradigm shifts, etc.) then go for it! I did my PA training through the military and was an army aviator before that. I've worked with alot of different people in the military the past 16 years and most of it was good. Times being away from your family is the hardest part but its a sacrifice that comes with its own reward.

That much debt is no joke and IMHO is a burden that I would not want to deal with. The army is paying its PAs 25K bonus on top of your salary. You would be promoted to captain in 1.5 years after you start and get annual time in grade raises. I would definitely continue to consider this option.

I just thought I'd chip in my thoughts. I loved my military experience. If you are the kind of guy who is able to adapt to different environments (as in work place environments, culture, paradigm shifts, etc.) then go for it! I did my PA training through the military and was an army aviator before that. I've worked with alot of different people in the military the past 16 years and most of it was good. Times being away from your family is the hardest part but its a sacrifice that comes with its own reward.

That much debt is no joke and IMHO is a burden that I would not want to deal with. The army is paying its PAs 25K bonus on top of your salary. You would be promoted to captain in 1.5 years after you start and get annual time in grade raises. I would definitely continue to consider this option.

i probably should not say this

most people that I know say things about all I did was suck on a mop( Navy people)--i spent about 1 month in Navy as surgical tech--I was only one in Iceland when Navy took over base. I never adapted to military adn i would fear for you if you signed up and never adapted. The Navy is a nation within a nation with its own rules and regulations--Iceland for example did not allow black service men on the island when I was there 1962 --Navy commander of base had black navy servant.

there is separation from medical care for pilots and others-as an officer you will no even be allowed to fraternize with enlisted men and you will be punished for this.

there are PA's who pay off loans by working in Federal Prisons--before you think of this really ask a lot of PA's who ahve worked in prfisons--like me.

hth

peter lener

i probably should not say this

most people that I know say things about all I did was suck on a mop( Navy people)--i spent about 1 month in Navy as surgical tech--I was only one in Iceland when Navy took over base. I never adapted to military adn i would fear for you if you signed up and never adapted. The Navy is a nation within a nation with its own rules and regulations--Iceland for example did not allow black service men on the island when I was there 1962 --Navy commander of base had black navy servant.

there is separation from medical care for pilots and others-as an officer you will no even be allowed to fraternize with enlisted men and you will be punished for this.

there are PA's who pay off loans by working in Federal Prisons--before you think of this really ask a lot of PA's who ahve worked in prfisons--like me.

hth

peter lener

Not even close to accurate. I'd go out for drinks with my docs and Pa's after work...and Iceland in 1962, i'd have to agree with HMtoPA? on this one, not even relevant.

Not even close to accurate. I'd go out for drinks with my docs and Pa's after work...and Iceland in 1962, i'd have to agree with HMtoPA? on this one, not even relevant.

Winterallsummer, I would be more concerned with the different "personality" of each branch, which has an affect on benefits. For example, the AF has a reputation for being more relaxed and they have shorter deployments. The Army is known for being more "hands-on." I joined the ARNG when I was 17, though my mom was retired AD AF. Part of that was because the AF recruiters are notoriously hard to track down and part of it was because the benefits were better on the Army side. My husband joined the ARNG last year, again over the Air Guard, despite his dad and brother being AD AF, too. Why? AF: start as E-3, no loan repayment, limited job options. Army: start as E-4, loan repayment, a few more options for jobs.

Why the difference? More people want to join the AF than they have spots available; I'm guessing some of this is due to the "easier" nature*. Hence, the AF can be more choosy on who they take and they don't have to offer as an attractive package. Do I regret joining the Army? No. But I would have had an entirely different experience had I been wearing blue.

I can't comment on the Navy. And I'd like to disclaim that my experiences are obviously as an enlisted soldier; I'm sure officers have a separate set of rules. My point is that the benefits are likely to be similar, but you'd want to join the branch that best fits you.

I know several people who work in corrections. They all like their jobs. But it does take a different personality. We don't know the OP personally, so it could be a good option for him. There's a difference in what you see depending on what level security one works. Most of the people I know work in minimum security, so they don't have very many horror stories.

*I don't think any branch is easy. But in general comparisons, the overall stereotype is that the Army is more "rough and tumble." No offense meant.

Winterallsummer, I would be more concerned with the different "personality" of each branch, which has an affect on benefits. For example, the AF has a reputation for being more relaxed and they have shorter deployments. The Army is known for being more "hands-on." I joined the ARNG when I was 17, though my mom was retired AD AF. Part of that was because the AF recruiters are notoriously hard to track down and part of it was because the benefits were better on the Army side. My husband joined the ARNG last year, again over the Air Guard, despite his dad and brother being AD AF, too. Why? AF: start as E-3, no loan repayment, limited job options. Army: start as E-4, loan repayment, a few more options for jobs.

Why the difference? More people want to join the AF than they have spots available; I'm guessing some of this is due to the "easier" nature*. Hence, the AF can be more choosy on who they take and they don't have to offer as an attractive package. Do I regret joining the Army? No. But I would have had an entirely different experience had I been wearing blue.

I can't comment on the Navy. And I'd like to disclaim that my experiences are obviously as an enlisted soldier; I'm sure officers have a separate set of rules. My point is that the benefits are likely to be similar, but you'd want to join the branch that best fits you.

I know several people who work in corrections. They all like their jobs. But it does take a different personality. We don't know the OP personally, so it could be a good option for him. There's a difference in what you see depending on what level security one works. Most of the people I know work in minimum security, so they don't have very many horror stories.

*I don't think any branch is easy. But in general comparisons, the overall stereotype is that the Army is more "rough and tumble." No offense meant.

Totally agree with l.a.lewis. When we were deployed in the desert on joint operations, the Air Force had air conditioned quarters and work units and the Army had tent city with no air conditioning. I think the compensation packages are pretty much all the same, Department of Defense packages.

Research your options, weigh the cost, make a plan then go after your dream!

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someoneelse's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results ofother people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out yourown inner voice. And most important,have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly wantto become. Everything else is secondary." Steve Jobs

Totally agree with l.a.lewis. When we were deployed in the desert on joint operations, the Air Force had air conditioned quarters and work units and the Army had tent city with no air conditioning. I think the compensation packages are pretty much all the same, Department of Defense packages.

Research your options, weigh the cost, make a plan then go after your dream!

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someoneelse's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results ofother people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out yourown inner voice. And most important,have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly wantto become. Everything else is secondary." Steve Jobs

Archived