What to do now? Feeling all sorts of emotions

Well to begin with, this was my third time applying. The first two times I applied, I didn't really improve my application much. I was going with hope and luck. This year was my third time applying and I received three interviews. I'm waiting to hear back from one school (I'm an out of state applicant to this school and they only accept 3-5 out of state students) and got waitlisted at the other 2 schools I interviewed at. Now I know I shouldn't lose hope since being waitlisted isn't a rejection. But my chance of being accepted could be 50/50 since I'm waitlisted. I don't know what will happen. I don't know what to do or whats the next step I should take. I've came up with options that I could do to further enhance my application and apply again. I'll list my stats below for this cycle and possible options I have came up with.

Stats:

BS In Psychology

cGPA: 3.57

sGPA: 3.47

GRE: 151V, 154Q, 4.5AW

Patient care hours: 3000+ as ER scribe (schools I applied to accept these) and MA volunteer

Shadowing hours: 115+

Volunteer hours: 700+

LOR: physician, PA, volunteer coordinator ( I did not ask a professor since I didn't feel comfortable asking them to attest to my academic ability since I have been out of school 1 year)

Possible options and ways to improve

- Masters in public health leadership

- RT (There is a bridge program at UTMB from RT to PA, don't know how it exactly works)

- MA Certificate (I already work as a volunteer MA and don't know how much this would help)

- EMT OR NURSING?

Honestly at this point I'm tired of the stress and feeling restless. It sucks I want to just know whether I'll get in or not. So many emotions right now. I feel like at this point I don't know if I'll get into PA SCHOOL or not. My interviews skills were good but obviously I guess they weren't good enough to be accepted. I did multiple mock interviews. But didn't practice to the point where I sounded rehearsed. I know I got nervous for sure.

Those of you who are reading this, please give me hope, words of encouragement, or options. I need guidance more than anything. Thank you and god bless.

• Administrator

EMT or MA are reasonable things that, if you start now, you should be able to complete by the time next cycle opens.  A Masters', nursing, or RT credentials are much longer games.  You're getting interviews, so I would think that with a bit stronger, yet definitively improved, application as well as some focused interviewing skills practice, next year should look better than 50/50.

Thank you everyone.

I was looking into EMT around my area but most say 2 years . I can't find an EMT course less than that. Or maybe I'm not searching correctly. I've applied to multiple schools in Texas and surrounding schools such as LSU, OK Tulsa, Mississippi college. I am a Texas resident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMT or MA are reasonable things that, if you start now, you should be able to complete by the time next cycle opens. A Masters', nursing, or RT credentials are much longer games. You're getting interviews, so I would think that with a bit stronger, yet definitively improved, application as well as some focused interviewing skills practice, next year should look better than 50/50.

Do you suggest looking into EMT basic training, EMT intermediate training, or paramedic training?

Thank you everyone.

I was looking into EMT around my area but most say 2 years . I can't find an EMT course less than that. Or maybe I'm not searching correctly. I've applied to multiple schools in Texas and surrounding schools such as LSU, OK Tulsa, Mississippi college. I am a Texas resident.

EMT is not two years. An associates in paramedicine is. You must be doing the wrong search, EMT is only 16weeks long.

if you got 3 interview, that means the problem is your interviewing skills.

I bombed my first interview, then I did 20 some-odd mock interviews and read Andy Rodican's book and murdered my 2nd interview. I've been told subsequently that that was the only reason I got in, they were on the fence but i proved myself during the interview. 

if you got 3 interview, that means the problem is your interviewing skills.

I bombed my first interview, then I did 20 some-odd mock interviews and read Andy Rodican's book and murdered my 2nd interview. I've been told subsequently that that was the only reason I got in, they were on the fence but i proved myself during the interview.

I also read Andy Rodican's book, but I get super nervous. But definitely thank you. I do know that I do have to work on my interviewing skills.

I also read Andy Rodican's book, but I get super nervous. But definitely thank you. I do know that I do have to work on my interviewing skills.

It got explained to me like this. 

Why do you go to basketball practice? to prepare for the big game. You're nervous because your not prepared enough. Prepare enough and you won't be nervous. I literally enjoyed the interview and I wasn't nervous at all. 

Thank you everyone.

Hi there! If you're looking into an EMT course and are willing to relocate for a month, I did mine in Long Beach, CA, 21 day program. 

http://www.ciemt.com/emt-basic-course/

Some people at my company also did 2-week accelerated programs that are basically EMT bootcamp. I think gaining medical experience as an EMT of MA will definitely improve your chances next cycle.

Congratulations on getting interviews and being waitlisted, because that in itself is a hard thing to do. I did not get into a program until my third application cycle.

Almost everyone is nervous for the interviews, i have had 4 of them. I got rejected once and waitlisted twice. The key is to use your previous interview experience to your advantage b/c you know what to expect to a certain extent. Know that you are a worthy candidate. No cookie cutter answers. Try to view the interview as a conversation and dont be afraid to show some of your personality. Try and connect with your interviewers (it shows you are human and gets them to like you on personal level).Be truthful and always put yourself in a positive light, if they ask you about hardships tell them how those hardships made you even better. Have examples ready to help support your answers. Show how the schools goals and values lineup with your own. If others are willing, interact with other applicants, it helped taking some of the edge off for me. Ask the schools that you did not get into why you were not accepted and ways to improve yourself (this helps you by A. Making yourself better and B. Lets the school know you are serious and want to be there).

I do not know how many programs you applied to, but it may help to increase the number and try to find schools were you are on par or exceed their stats of accepted students. I was in the same boat as you last year. If you want to do this, DO NOT GIVE UP, YOU ARE CLOSE TO ACCOMPLISHING THIS DREAM!!!

God bless in your journey

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Agree with posters above about interviewing skills. This is the clear and obvious reason why you have not been accepted yet. From my point of view, It is good tp prepare, but you need not prepare too much! Negative things can begin to arrise when one prepares too much for speeches, and interview type settings. 

Everybody always says be your self, but if you're like me (an introvert) you might want to avoid that notion. Be outgoing, social, and be funny, and even foolish (in a good way). Admins are so sick and tired and I was even sick and tired of seeing so many candidates that were way too uptight during the interview. I met one candidate that had an amazing life of backpacking in several different countries, and even shadowed a Dr. in South America! During the interview they did not mention these experiences once! I aksed after the interview why they didnt bring it up, and they said it wouldnt have been appropriate! I was baffled, because THAT is exactly the kind of experiences that PA schools are looking for now. 

Anyways, dont worry about not giving the admins the exact answer they want to hear. Tell them something that you are passionate about, in which they can see through your words and into your emotions that what you are talking about matters to you, and is important, and that being a PA will ultimitally satisfy your passion. 

All that is if you dont get in this year, and end up applying next year. If that happens, focus on interview skills for next year. I wish you luck!

Any suggestions for the MMI interviews?  I feel like I prepared for one on one but the MMI through me for a loop!

I wrote something on this for another source, to give my perspective on the MMI, I can post it here or pm it to you; I don't mean it to sound overly harsh or critical, that's just the format for that forum. I'm just  willing to post it or pm it, it might help. Also, I'm not trying to brag, more so just listing why I feel I'm qualified to talk about this. I did very well on the MMI, so much so that a school that only takes 18 students total, and had another interview date of 50 people, plus the interview date I was at of 50 people called me less than 24 hours after the MMI to offer me a spot, nearly crapped myself, because honestly my stats aren't that amazing. I can certainly tell you none of my other interviews went that well.

Also I heard that LORs from a PA or Physician, a Boss, and a Proff are important, Its not that they actually read and pay attention to them in most cases, they know they are gonna write something good about you, it's just that they really want to see you are able to network in the big three aspects of your life. I also know that all of the schools I applied to here in the Midwest had LORs from those three sources as a recommendation or requirement. I know you have been out of school for a little while, but really try to get that academic LOR. If you got an A in a class most proffs are willing to write that for you. Best of luck!

In your interviews, you have to be open, truthful, and speak about situations where you display great integrity. The school I was accepted stressed the concept of integrity as well as compassion. So give hearty examples in your life that speak well of your integrity and compassion. And always be friendly with everyone. They are watching. Be blessed 

I am in a similar situation with being waitlisted after interviews. 

I did an accelerated (3.5 week) EMT course at UCLA center for pre hospital care. I highly recommend it, look it up! I am from Maryland and relocated out there for a little over a month (using airbnb) and it was the experience of a lifetime. I wanted to transition between jobs at that point so it was feasible. I was a medical assistant but I wanted to do something more, so I am now working as an ER tech. I understand your search results of 2 years for EMT. Maryland requires you to join a volunteer firehouse if you want to be an EMT in the field, unless you want paid IFT EMT. Most school based EMT courses here were multiple semesters in length so that is why I chose the UCLA option. 

Your grades seem good enough that a master's program is unnecessary. My stats were a little less than yours and I was told that I do not need to complete a Master's program either. 

If you are being waitlisted, your interview skills are clearly not the main issue. If they were, you would have been denied. But that does not mean that interview skills need to be ignored when preparing for the next admissions cycle. 

Good luck!

Archived