Class of 2019

I'm looking at places in Fultondale... anyone from Bham have any info about living north of the city instead of south?

I'm a current 2nd year that trolls the boards to keep from studying ;)  But the commute in from Fultondale is not much fun.  You have to go thru an intersection widely known as "malfunction junction".  I would suggest getting room mates and living closer to campus.  You will spend many many many waking hours on campus and don't need to be dealing with traffic too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has UAB sent out rejection letters yet? Do we know if their class if full?

Check the topic listed "Class of 2016-2017." I'm pretty sure there were people in it saying they got the reject letter already. If you got the waitlist, the people who were accepted were supposed to postmark their acceptance letter w/ deposit by 12/30, so I'm guessing they won't start dipping into the waitlist until after that time. I don't know anything for sure, as this is all just speculation. But good luck to you if you're on the waitlist!

I'm a current 2nd year that trolls the boards to keep from studying ;)  But the commute in from Fultondale is not much fun.  You have to go thru an intersection widely known as "malfunction junction".  I would suggest getting room mates and living closer to campus.  You will spend many many many waking hours on campus and don't need to be dealing with traffic too.

I am fairly dissuaded from having 'random' roommates my first year as I've not done that before / don't know anyone outside of family in B'ham. I currently live in traffic hell (Atlanta), so I'm not sure how I'll think it compares haha. I'm planning to go look at apartments around town soon, so I'll definitely make a point of doing the commute in the afternoon and see how I feel first. 

I don't think the traffic is that bad. Definitely not as bad as Atlanta. Granted I live South and not North of Bham.

The benefit of being close to campus is that you can access your home during the day. Living away means you have to plan your day knowing the chances of you getting home before 6 are slim...unless you have more than an hour break in between classes. Leaving home early, and Bham late, will keep you out of the traffic, majority of times.

Hey, this is going to sound really silly...but is the group private? Can we make it private?

The group is currently "closed". I thought about making it "secret" on FB, but then that meant that I had to manually invite accepted students.. and I obviously don't have access to this information. "Closed" just means that anyone can search for the group and request to join, but they have to be approved by a current member. Posts are only seen by current members.

Again, this is just an unofficial Facebook group. The real one will be made by the Class of 2018's President (probably) in May, so you are not obligated to join the unofficial group. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone!

My name is Fritz and I just received a call from Drace notifying me that I have been accepted into the program.  I was wait listed back in November and I am beyond thrilled to have received such wonderful news right before Christmas! I grew up here in Birmingham and completed my undergraduate degree at UAB.  I presently work as a firefighter/paramedic for the city of Homewood and have done for the last 7 years.  My wife and I live in Hoover with our little girl Sutton and our two pups.  I look forward to meeting all of you in the near future.  Nothing but well wishes for all of you during this Holiday Season!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This isn't a terribly important question, but does anyone know roughly how many completed applications UAB receives each application cycle (or more specifically, how many were received this cycle)?

Don't exactly remember, but I have the number being anywhere from 1000-1500 floating around in my head.

Archived