Class of 2019

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just toured several places in Birmingham today and yesterday! Crowne at Grandview, the Parc at Grandview, Wildforest (right next to Brookwood Hospital), the Oaks at Lakeshore, Wildwood Crossings, and Lakeshore Ridge. They all said that tons of UAB students and employees live there. There are tons of options of places to live, so I think there's something for everyone in their price range! 

I fell in love with the Oaks and might be open to having a roommate! :)

I just toured several places in Birmingham today and yesterday! Crowne at Grandview, the Parc at Grandview, Wildforest (right next to Brookwood Hospital), the Oaks at Lakeshore, Wildwood Crossings, and Lakeshore Ridge. They all said that tons of UAB students and employees live there. There are tons of options of places to live, so I think there's something for everyone in their price range!

I fell in love with the Oaks and might be open to having a roommate! :)

Awesome! I lived at wildwood for a few years, and was not happy with it. There were a lot of maintenance problems, and maintenance didn't ever seem to be in a hurry to fix it. I had a lot of teammates live at the Oaks during college, but they never stayed there very long, so I don't have a lot of info on them. Like I said, Crowne at Grandview is awesome! And the Parc right across looks amazing! Would have definitely lived there if I could afford it [emoji23] lakeshore ridge is nice as well. I have some friends that live there currently, and they like it. The Village at Lakeshore is right across from lakeshore ridge. I have friends that live there too, and those are pretty well taken care of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How's the public transit in Bham? I tried to get a feel for it when I was visiting for the interview, but from what I could tell in that one day, was that it was unreliable (I missed the same bus twice, because it was late by 30minutes, and then it was early by 15 minutes). Maybe it was just a bad day? Maybe I was looking for the wrong bus number? Lol anyways, anyone have any experience with it? I'm looking to find a place close enough to walk to campus if the transit system isn't too reliable.

How's the public transit in Bham? I tried to get a feel for it when I was visiting for the interview, but from what I could tell in that one day, was that it was unreliable (I missed the same bus twice, because it was late by 30minutes, and then it was early by 15 minutes). Maybe it was just a bad day? Maybe I was looking for the wrong bus number? Lol anyways, anyone have any experience with it? I'm looking to find a place close enough to walk to campus if the transit system isn't too reliable.

I've never used public transit, but if you are wanting to live close, I would definitely invest in a bike! I had friends who did that in college and they loved it!

I've never used public transit, but if you are wanting to live close, I would definitely invest in a bike! I had friends who did that in college and they loved it!

I was considering that an option, but it might take me awhile to get used to riding in the city. I do enjoy biking, especially mountain biking. But from my short time in Bham, I could tell that the unofficial "rules" of driving and being a pedestrian are greatly different. In Hawaii, we're pretty big on pedestrian crossing and traffic laws, where literally nobody J-walks, even if there are no cars to be seen. And even if you are in the crosswalk, no cars even dare approach the crosswalk unless you completely cross. I was shocked to find everyone in Bham J-walking left and right, and having cars encroach upon me in the crosswalk, even driving through the middle of pedestrian groups (again, not sure if it was just me or not). I'd feel safer walking, where I am in better control of what I do, and am better able to keep an eye on my surroundings as I walk. At least until I get a better feel for the traffic and what not.especially mountain biking. Maybe I'm just imagining things? First time really living in a city outside of Hawaii, lol. Definitely see that as being part of the culture shock.

I was considering that an option, but it might take me awhile to get used to riding in the city. I do enjoy biking, especially mountain biking. But from my short time in Bham, I could tell that the unofficial "rules" of driving and being a pedestrian are greatly different. In Hawaii, we're pretty big on pedestrian crossing and traffic laws, where literally nobody J-walks, even if there are no cars to be seen. And even if you are in the crosswalk, no cars even dare approach the crosswalk unless you completely cross. I was shocked to find everyone in Bham J-walking left and right, and having cars encroach upon me in the crosswalk, even driving through the middle of pedestrian groups (again, not sure if it was just me or not). I'd feel safer walking, where I am in better control of what I do, and am better able to keep an eye on my surroundings as I walk. At least until I get a better feel for the traffic and what not.especially mountain biking. Maybe I'm just imagining things? First time really living in a city outside of Hawaii, lol. Definitely see that as being part of the culture shock.

Yes, J-walking is normal in Birmingham [emoji23] and pretty much everyone will stop for you, but you definitely have to keep and eye out.

Thanks! I will definitely look at them. There are so man choices. It is great to hear what are good areas close to campus. Has anyone heard whether traffic is really bad, or do you get there so early it doesn't really matter?

A bunch of us current PA students live at the Crowne on 10th apartments and love it! It's a 6-8 min bike ride to the building where you'll have all your classes. There's also a UAB blazer express bus stop nearby that you can ride for free. The first semester your morning classes don't start until 10am so if you're planning on driving to campus you'll need to arrive around 7:30 or earlier to find a parking spot (so I'd recommend living close enough to bike and just avoid traffic and parking issues all together) [emoji2]

Hey everyone, my name is Jared and I'm from Georgia. I was in the afternoon group on Friday 11/11. For those of you who have experience with Birmingham, do you know of any apartments near UAB that are dog friendly, specifically for a (very friendly) pit bull? I've noticed that many of the apartments in the area that accept pets specify breed restrictions for pit bulls. I'm hoping to find something somewhat close to campus, since I don't want to have to deal with a long commute or traffic, which is why I wasn't looking for a rental house (also cost). One more thing, is it worth it to pay for the on-campus parking (or is it required)?

Hi everyone! My name is Bryan and I live at, and can recommend, the Villages at Lakeshore in B'Ham. It is nice, safe, and located fairly close to campus. I look forward to meeting everyone when the time comes! On-campus parking is not required, but you'll want it and as such, need to pay for a permit to avoid ticketing. I'll be looking for a roommate before the program begins, and possibly as early as March.

Hi everyone! My name is Bryan and I live at, and can recommend, the Villages at Lakeshore in B'Ham. It is nice, safe, and located fairly close to campus. I look forward to meeting everyone when the time comes! On-campus parking is not required, but you'll want it and as such, need to pay for a permit to avoid ticketing. I'll be looking for a roommate before the program begins, and possibly as early as March.

Hey Bryan! I'd totally be down to be a potentially roommate lol.

Hey folks,

I currently live in Hoover, and work in Bham...for anyone with families...I also raised a kid here. With that being said I can help with questions about housing and whatnot.

The person who asked about pet friendly. Bham was voted one of the most pet friendly locations in the country recently. It won't be hard for you to find a pet friendly apartment. Since it is a pitbull, I would suggest having a vet letter or something talking about the temperament of the dog...since some of the locations do have breed restrictions.

Folks who are looking to stay closer to the school, but cannot afford the more expensive apartments, look into rentmonster.net. It's a free service to help you find a place. Just try to keep your search to South or East Bham...North and West Bham tend to have more police reports. Also keep in mind that the older the apartment, the chance of higher utilities increases. So always consider and ask about that.

Anyway, if you all need somewhere to crash when you come to look at places, you can always crash in my brother's room (he's away at college).

Bham is a fun city...small enough to move around with ease...but they think they're a big city, so they have stuff to do like a city.

Oh the person who asked about public transportation...IT SUCKS. I used it when I first came to bham 7 years ago...it sucks...don't plan on using it. Carpooling is your friend...leaving home early, and school late is your friend. Public transportation is not.

Cannot wait to meet everyone.

Hey everyone, my name is Zach and I have also been accepted into the Class of 2019 UAB PA program. I am from Mobile, Alabama but I went to undergrad in Birmingham (Samford University) so I am very familiar with the area. I will also be looking for a roommate. I will be trying to find a house rental due to my dog and will be welcome to roommates if anyone is interested. For those who have not experienced Birmingham, you all will love it. Great city. I am looking forward to meeting you all!

When exactly does this Facebook page start??

Hey everyone, my name is Zach and I have also been accepted into the Class of 2019 UAB PA program. I am from Mobile, Alabama but I went to undergrad in Birmingham (Samford University) so I am very familiar with the area. I will also be looking for a roommate. I will be trying to find a house rental due to my dog and will be welcome to roommates if anyone is interested. For those who have not experienced Birmingham, you all will love it. Great city. I am looking forward to meeting you all!

Hey Zach! What high school did you go to? I'm from Mobile as well! I'm hoping we can start the Facebook page soon, because I feel it will be easier than this forum.

Hey Zach! What high school did you go to? I'm from Mobile as well! I'm hoping we can start the Facebook page soon, because I feel it will be easier than this forum.

I went to UMS-Wright. There seems to be a few people with ties to Mobile that are going into this class.

Hey Zach, 

I figure the facebook page wouldnt be up for a while, at least until the entire class has been confirmed (and having gone through the waitlist), so maybe not until June? Maybe we can get an unofficial facebook group going or something in the mean time. 

I'd also be interested in possibly sharing rent with you. I know its still a far while before classes start but I thought I'd throw my name out there lol,

I have some friends who live in Fultondale, and they love it! I'll have to get the name of the apartment complex.

Yay this is good to hear! I was worried it would end up being a sketchy area or something since the apartments I've been searching are so cheap - you can get a 2 bed/ 2 bath apartment for the same amount that I pay for my half of the same sized apartment in Atlanta...

Hey everyone! My name is Sean Maleknia and I'll be joining you all up in Birmingham in the Class of 2019! Congrats to everyone for making it in. I'm coming from Orlando, Fl so thanks for all the advice/tips so far about apartments. I interviewed the morning session on Monday, is anyone else in here from that session?

Hey everyone! My name is Sean Maleknia and I'll be joining you all up in Birmingham in the Class of 2019! Congrats to everyone for making it in. I'm coming from Orlando, Fl so thanks for all the advice/tips so far about apartments. I interviewed the morning session on Monday, is anyone else in here from that session?

I interviewed Monday morning as well!

Archived