Class of 2019

Hi everyone!!

Just wanted to start a new topic for those who have been accepted and are planning on joining the UAB PA family. :) I figured we could go ahead and get to know each other and share any information about places to live, stuff we have to do before August, and how to navigate financial aid!

My name is Isabelle Kallenberg and I'm from Auburn, AL!

So excited to meet y'all!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Amy! Do you have any recommendations of places to live that are within a reasonable commute to UAB's campus?

Yes! I currently live at the Crowne at Grandview apartments and I love it! I know of two current first year PA students that live there and they like it too! Very nice area. A lot of restaurants around and a good apartment complex that is well taken care of. Now, it is located on busy highway 280, but from what the current students have told me, they normally get to campus pretty early anyway so there isn't too much traffic at that hour. Even with the traffic though, I love the area. I have lived in so many other apartments in Birmingham and this is by far my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh cool! Yeah I remember them from the other thread. Not sure. Are you excited/nervous about being so far from home?

I'm really excited. I'm prior military so I've been to/lived in other states before, but of course that was in a military environment. This'll be my first time living in another state as a civilian. I actually picked UAB partly because of how far it is from HawaiI LOL. Hawaii is so secluded that you really need to get away to really grow.

I'm really excited. I'm prior military so I've been to/lived in other states before, but of course that was in a military environment. This'll be my first time living in another state as a civilian. I actually picked UAB partly because of how far it is from HawaiI LOL. Hawaii is so secluded that you really need to get away to really grow.

Cool! Yeah it's always fun to get away and explore!

Hi everyone!!

Just wanted to start a new topic for those who have been accepted and are planning on joining the UAB PA family. :) I figured we could go ahead and get to know each other and share any information about places to live, stuff we have to do before August, and how to navigate financial aid!

My name is Isabelle Kallenberg and I'm from Auburn, AL!

So excited to meet y'all!!

My name is Molly and I'm from Pensacola, FL but I graduated from Auburn in May!

How's the rent in Birmingham?

Honestly, I don't think it's too expensive, but it definitely varies throughout the city. You will see when you get here that you can go from super fancy parts of town to some not so nice parts within just a few minutes! There are soooo many different areas to live. I would start googling some places. Look up vestavia hills, mountain brook, cahaba heights, homewood, and Hoover. Those are the nicer areas around Birmingham. Downtown is definitely going to be more expensive because a lot of the apartments and complexes are historic buildings. I lived downtown one year for undergrad and I LOVED being so close to campus, but the building was very old, and it wasn't the nicest area.

I hope this helps! Sorry for the long winded response [emoji38] if you guys have anymore questions let me know!!

Check out Crowne at Grandview apartments. Highly recommended [emoji38]

Thanks! I will definitely look at them. There are so man choices. It is great to hear what are good areas close to campus. Has anyone heard whether traffic is really bad, or do you get there so early it doesn't really matter?

Thanks! I will definitely look at them. There are so man choices. It is great to hear what are good areas close to campus. Has anyone heard whether traffic is really bad, or do you get there so early it doesn't really matter?

The traffic can be bad at times, but I had a lot of 8 am classes in undergrad and I had to travel up I-65, and it wasn't that bad. 280 can also be bad at times, but the current students who live here say they go to campus early anyways so they don't hit any traffic. To me, traffic is worse driving home around 5 than it is in the morning.

Archived