Advice for new PA student starting in May

Hello everyone!

I am starting PA school in May and I am reading and researching all that I can to prepare for school the best way possible. Are there any books, research, or preparation that any of you current PA students suggest for my 4 months before school starts? I really appreciate all of your help!

First, congrats on getting in! Bask in the moment; lots of students wish they could be in your shoes!

I would suggest rest and relaxation also; you've earned it. However, if you absolutely have to do something, read over anatomy textbooks. It won't hurt you to brush up on some A&P.

I worked in Critical Care prior to the start of my program. I created a chart of disease processes that I saw and would read about it in Harrison's. It gave me a good foundation of common illnesses and how they presented. I also taught myself how to read EKG's and chest x rays. You can find some great tutorials online for these things.

Don't overdo it, though. You will learn all you need to learn once school begins.

Good luck to you!

First, congrats on getting in! Bask in the moment; lots of students wish they could be in your shoes!

I would suggest rest and relaxation also; you've earned it. However, if you absolutely have to do something, read over anatomy textbooks. It won't hurt you to brush up on some A&P.

I worked in Critical Care prior to the start of my program. I created a chart of disease processes that I saw and would read about it in Harrison's. It gave me a good foundation of common illnesses and how they presented. I also taught myself how to read EKG's and chest x rays. You can find some great tutorials online for these things.

Don't overdo it, though. You will learn all you need to learn once school begins.

Good luck to you!

Stop what your doing, take a vacation, talk to your family, play xbox, play with dog/cat, sit in the sun and just blankly stare into nothing. In other words RELAX!!! It is hard to do, everybody gets anxious and worried about getting started, making a head start or brushing up on stuff but in reality without any clear guide from your school on what to do your just spinning your wheels. Only thing I did was buy a pance review book and would flip through it some. I knew that Derm was the first topic in our school so I would look through it some if I were in triage on a slow night but I did not devote time to study it. Once you start then your world will revolve around school and you will have plenty to read then. Take it easy now, while you still can. Good luck and congrats.

Stop what your doing, take a vacation, talk to your family, play xbox, play with dog/cat, sit in the sun and just blankly stare into nothing. In other words RELAX!!! It is hard to do, everybody gets anxious and worried about getting started, making a head start or brushing up on stuff but in reality without any clear guide from your school on what to do your just spinning your wheels. Only thing I did was buy a pance review book and would flip through it some. I knew that Derm was the first topic in our school so I would look through it some if I were in triage on a slow night but I did not devote time to study it. Once you start then your world will revolve around school and you will have plenty to read then. Take it easy now, while you still can. Good luck and congrats.

I start this year as well. A PA at my work has me reviewing come common topics every couple of weeks to gain familiarity. Right now we're on Hypertension and all the causes and treatment pathways. Nothing heavy, but just little nuggets of wisdom to tuck away. He also has me review every x-ray with him, and he goes through it by the book. I have a Hawaii vacation planned for April and am training for a marathon. Both are bucket list kind of things...I know the next 2 years will be ridiculous!

I start this year as well. A PA at my work has me reviewing come common topics every couple of weeks to gain familiarity. Right now we're on Hypertension and all the causes and treatment pathways. Nothing heavy, but just little nuggets of wisdom to tuck away. He also has me review every x-ray with him, and he goes through it by the book. I have a Hawaii vacation planned for April and am training for a marathon. Both are bucket list kind of things...I know the next 2 years will be ridiculous!

I will start PA school this fall. And I have pondered the same questions you present here.

I'm even thinking of having a bunionectomy now so that my feet would be healed in time! But mostly I'm doing a lot of relaxing, reading and sleeping late--luxuries that I will not be afforded later!

I will start PA school this fall. And I have pondered the same questions you present here.

I'm even thinking of having a bunionectomy now so that my feet would be healed in time! But mostly I'm doing a lot of relaxing, reading and sleeping late--luxuries that I will not be afforded later!

Hey thanks everyone for your advice! The input I receive here is awesome, and I am thankful for the advice. I just finished one of my "bucket list" items, I completed a "Tough Mudder" race... 12.5 miles 29 military obstacles and LOTS of mud! it was really a lot of fun, but at this point I am trying my best to relax and prepare for the move up to Oregon (which is stressful all in itself, considering I need to find a place to live, and get settled with my wife up there before school starts). Either way I feel very blessed to have been accepted, and I couldn't be more excited for school to start, as very challenging it will be. Any more suggestions?

Hey thanks everyone for your advice! The input I receive here is awesome, and I am thankful for the advice. I just finished one of my "bucket list" items, I completed a "Tough Mudder" race... 12.5 miles 29 military obstacles and LOTS of mud! it was really a lot of fun, but at this point I am trying my best to relax and prepare for the move up to Oregon (which is stressful all in itself, considering I need to find a place to live, and get settled with my wife up there before school starts). Either way I feel very blessed to have been accepted, and I couldn't be more excited for school to start, as very challenging it will be. Any more suggestions?

Archived