Discouraged about re-applying in 2017

Your biggest problem is your GPA, like many of the posters mentioned. I suggest spending time taking (preferably) science classes. Although it may not make that much of a dent in your GPA, it will at least show an upward trend. Your verbal is also slightly lower, so I recommend retaking the GRE to at least get 150 unless you want to apply to schools that don't require the GRE or be willing to find schools that accept a V148. 

Although applying broadly is good, it might be better in your case to further research schools and narrow down your list to up to 10-15 schools. It can be overwhelming to write all those supplemental essays and writing that many in a short period of time may decrease the quality of each one. Although many people focus on stats, essays are very important, especially if you don't have stellar stats. Schools often reuse the same supplementals as the previous cycle. I recommend doing in-depth research on schools, pick which ones you want to apply to, find the essay questions on CASPA while it's still open, and perfect your essays in advance before the next cycle. Apply to schools that accept both pharmacy tech and scribe as HCE. 

Applying late June/early July is ok but applying earlier always helps. Again, try to prepare your application before the cycle starts. Once it opens, you can just fill in the blanks and submit. 

I agree with the above comments that your GPA is your main problem. PA school is a lot harder than undergrad and if schools get the impression that you could barely pass undergrad classes they are going to wonder how you will pass a much harder program. In my opinion, the best chance you have is to take a lot of hard science classes at a well respected institution (not a community college) and to make A's in them. You could do this by either retaking your science prerequisites or applying to a masters program. Then I would recommend getting an outstanding recommendation letter from at least one of your professors in the classes you are retaking talking about how after adjusting your study habits you were able to excel in difficult course work. The key here is that in order for this to work, you really do need to make all A's and develop a great relationship with your professors so that they can vouch for you when you re-apply. If your really serious about becoming a PA, I would also call every school that you applied to and ask if they would be willing to discuss your application with you and discuss what changes it would take for them to consider you as a re-applicant. This will help you gain a realistic idea of what it's going to take and it will also show the schools you applied to that you are serious about becoming a PA. Lastly, you said "I know I'm a mediocre applicant." I understand that you have to be realistic but start taking the attitude that you deserve to be there and schools would be lucky to have you! You want to shine in your essays and your interviews and you aren't going to convince them that you should be there if you haven't convinced yourself! Best of luck!

Im skeptical about doing a Grad program because I thought Grad GPA is completely separate and it would still show I have low undergrad GPA. Also it would be hard to get into a Grad program with a 148, right? I feel like my best bet is to retake the GRE and gain more experience because I can only raise by GPA by so much.

false.. your grad GPA does get factored in on CASPA.. but in any case, you want to show them that you have an upward trend in your grades and that when it counts, you can do well in comparable classes.. I did the tufts MBS and it greatly helped my application.. furthermore, it gave me things to talk about in my interviews, about how I KNOW im ready for the rigor of a PA program.. I agree with the above comments as well, and just want to add that I think you'll have a much better shot if you apply a whole month earlier.

Good luck,

Amanda

Everyone recommends to go do a masters and get a 3.7 gpa, but do you want to take that risk? It is much harder and you need to score high. You will be pulling out much more loans, to try to get a good gpa in a masters program, to hopefully get a chance to get accepted to a PA program. Have you thought about just doing a nursing program. Become a nurse then get some experience and money, then apply to nurse practitioner school? That seems like a financially intelligent move and much easier to get in after you gain some experience. Just a thought.

Archived