$62/hr...

hey all,

$62/hr was what they offered when I interviewed today at an UC place.

I am looking to make some extra cash and didn't want to pick up extra shift from my main ER job, so I was like, hey why not UC? 

so it goes like this:

- $62/hr

- 9am-9pm

- 4 shifts a month

- malpractice w/ tail

- solo coverage (1 PA) medical director contacted via phone if I have questions

- Included are DOT physicals, workmen's comp, etc...

- call backs are not done by the provider

- MAs work also as scribes, they start the chart, collect samples and add pt's pharmacy into the EMR

- office is very spacious, nice and clean.

---

I could see myself taking the offer if it was maybe $7 more per hour, considering the fact that my hosp pays $71/hr for perdiem or any extra shift, and that other hospitals my friends work  have rates as high as $75 - $85 per hour.

I was offered $62/hr.

I countered with $75/hr (I would have been fine w/ $69-$70). see his reply.

------

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your note. I appreciate the time you took to pen me the letter and dialogue about the salary.  The salary however, is NOT negotiable.  Our PAs with 20+ years experience don't command salaries that you are seeking.  We are very competitive for the industry as a whole in NYC and pay more than most urgent care centers as confirmed by our many PAs.

To acquiesce to our salary would only breed ill will and fuel a desire to depart while always looking for a higher paying opportunity. As such it is my opinion that you would be better off looking for employment where they are paying in the higher range that you are looking for.   

I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your continued search and best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving.

-XYZ"

---

- I don't know who these "20+ yrs PAs" are but they sure ain't doing anyone a favor by taking <$75/hr for UC in NYC

- My place I get $71/hr for picking up extra shift I'm better off.

tired of all the PA's out there taking crap pay and ruining it for others. Grow some balls and learn how to negotiate so we don't have to hear this crap about 20+ years of experience not commanding what should be a very reasonable hourly wage for christ sake. How sad is that really... The only problem with this profession is the years of experience and the lack of increased pay accordingly....  

tired of all the PA's out there taking crap pay and ruining it for others. Grow some balls and learn how to negotiate so we don't have to hear this crap about 20+ years of experience not commanding what should be a very reasonable hourly wage for christ sake. How sad is that really... The only problem with this profession is the years of experience and the lack of increased pay accordingly....  

i'm facing this exact issue. 3 years out. underpaid (in academics) trying to transition to another hospital system and cant even get them to match 75% of aapa data. trying to offer me same $$$ . its embarassing

Are you in FL? I went to school down there, but moved elsewhere afterwards. salaries are definitely lower in FL. If you're not interested in moving, it may be tough to get to national averages... just supply and demand issue with so many schools.

yea and im trying to get 75% Florida salaries. i will have to move to make more money sadly. florida is a wasteland for salary movement

Archived